• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: National History Museum [FINAL RELEASE v1.0.4] - A Pokémon Escape Room

Days
    • Seen today
    1705500864715.png

CAN YOU MAKE IT OUTTA HERE?

Do you have what it takes to make it past the superior trainers, come up with original strategies and progress through this challenge on your own?
    Or will you be beaten countless times, crawling back to the Game Master begging him for hints?
    😈

It's all up to you, your skill and determination!
    There's no mercy for the unskilled and uninspired!

Updated to version 1.0.4 (probably the final release) - see download link in this post

Hey guys, after having decent success with my first Escape Room hack I am finally able to release my next one, now!
    This time the concept is that you are stuck in the National History Museum's third floor and need to make your way out of the building.
    All three floors have different exhibition concepts, being:
    • 3 - Egyptian Room
    • 2 - Jurassic/Fossil Room
    • 1 - Ice Age Room
    Again, the task is to solve different trainer battles complemented by overworld puzzles, some being kind of obvious and some pretty hidden and tricky. I still have the aspiration that the game is solveable without any save game resets. So once again it features a Game Master NPC that will give required hints and also solves potential soft locks in exchange for in-game time.
    In case you are encountering REAL soft locks (not fixable by Game Master) or some unlogical situations please get in touch. General feedback is also always appreciated of course. 😊

Attention: There have been rare cases of the game freezing after defeating Stakataka. It looks like this was due to an edge case in AI switch behavior and should be fixed with version 1.0.3. However, please let me know if this is still happening to you!

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Since this is an escape game it means that you can only play it once and spoilers would destroy the fun.
    So in case you are replying to this thread please use SPOILER-tags for talking about actual game details.

Download:

Important remark: Make sure to only use mGBA emulator for playing the game. Other emulators could result in unexpected issues like screen freezes. Also make sure to run the newest version of mGBA to avoid errors.
    For Android users: You can use the mGBA core of RetroArch.

Pictures:

Egyp_full.PNG
    2.png
    ice_full.PNG
    egypt1.PNGegypt2.PNG
    6.png7.png
    ice1.PNG

If anyone is interested in speed running this hack, here's my PB. This is definitely beatable, but you have to know your shit. ;-)
    1706399343076.png

Streams & Videos:
    Here's a collection of streamers that have already played the game on stream in chronological order.

DISCLAIMER: Don't watch them if you want to play it yourself.

Spoiler:

Credits:
    Spoiler:

Version history:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    Sweet! Looking forward to trying this one out tonight (and probably over the next couple of days :) )

Days
    • Seen Apr 12, 2024
    Getting soft locked every time I try any battle move with munchlax or running away. Catching the archen also locks me and the battle doesn't end. Using myboy emulator on android.

Days
    • Seen today
    Getting soft locked every time I try any battle move with munchlax or running away. Catching the archen also locks me and the battle doesn't end. Using myboy emulator on android.
    As I just mentioned above, please only use mGBA emulator. It's unfortunately a known issue for many ROM hacks that I can't do anything about.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This looks interesting. I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.

Not to be rude, but surely this should be called "Natural History" and not "National History"?

Days
    • Seen today
    This looks interesting. I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.

Not to be rude, but surely this should be called "Natural History" and not "National History"?
    Haha…you might be onto something here. But now the damage is already done lol
    No one ever thought about it 😂
    But as it's also telling the story of the past people living in that area (Egyptians were clearly residents in that town) it's still valid. 😉

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    @whizz

Patched a rom and played an hour yesterday. In spoilers will be my experience and some thoughts. Consider them as a single data point as some of my opinions might be due to me missing a clue.

Also, this is just to share player experience with you in case you can do something with it. I'm typing it out now while it's still somewhat fresh in my mind. This is not a request for help. I want to crack this puzzle by the sweat of my brow and the strength of my back.

Spoiler: My experience with bits of Floor 3 and 2

Welp, that turned out to be longer than I expected. Hope it wasn't too boring to read. Hope it gives you an insight in how one player approaches the puzzles.

I'm enjoying this one greatly. Graphics are nice as well.

Putting everything in a National Museum is a great find. All escape rooms I found so far (SmallAnt's, yours and the FireRed VR Missions (in a way)) are all set outside and don't really have a name.

This one having a theme is a great find.

P.S.: now that I kinda made a logbook for myself I'm gonna use this post to list the puzzles that still need solving (which is another good trick for solving escape rooms)

Spoiler: Irons currently in the fire

Counter points (albeit tongue-in-cheek ones ;) ):
    1. It's got Pokémon from the National Dex
    2. There's nothing natural about Pokémon

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen today
    @whizz

Patched a rom and played an hour yesterday. In spoilers will be my experience and some thoughts. Consider them as a single data point as some of my opinions might be due to me missing a clue.

Also, this is just to share player experience with you in case you can do something with it. I'm typing it out now while it's still somewhat fresh in my mind. This is not a request for help. I want to crack this puzzle by the sweat of my brow and the strength of my back.

Spoiler: My experience with bits of Floor 3 and 2

Welp, that turned out to be longer than I expected. Hope it wasn't too boring to read. Hope it gives you an insight in how one player approaches the puzzles.

I'm enjoying this one greatly. Graphics are nice as well.

Putting everything in a National Museum is a great find. All escape rooms I found so far (SmallAnt's, yours and the FireRed VR Missions (in a way)) are all set outside and don't really have a name.

This one having a theme is a great find.

P.S.: now that I kinda made a logbook for myself I'm gonna use this post to list the puzzles that still need solving (which is another good trick for solving escape rooms)

Spoiler: Irons currently in the fire

Counter points (albeit tongue-in-cheek ones ;) ):
    1. It's got Pokémon from the National Dex
    2. There's nothing natural about Pokémon
    Hey there, thanks so much for this write up! Very happy to hear you like it and are already diving very deeply into it! Also good luck proceeding.

Here's a few comments from my side in SPOILERS.
    Spoiler:

Having said all this: You are definitely on the right track and not too far off. Be more confident in taking chances as they get offered to you. I blocked many potential soft-locks out of the way this time. And if you need further advice go talk to the Game Master. And please let me know in case his hint is not helping you out.

Days
    • Seen today
    First stream is under the hood. :)

@acko was racing GappyV tonight with a very close run until the very end!

Check out their streams below:

They did encounter a few minor unintended situations/issues, but nothing that had a real impact on the play-through.
    First update 1.0.1 will be out soon to handle it ;-)

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    Here's a few comments from my side in SPOILERS.

Having said all this: You are definitely on the right track and not too far off. Be more confident in taking chances as they get offered to you. I blocked many potential soft-locks out of the way this time. And if you need further advice go talk to the Game Master. And please let me know in case his hint is not helping you out.
    I'll read the spoilers once I've made it to the ground floor :) I'm staying away from the Game Master because this is the first one I haven't watched on Youtube and I really, really want to complete it on my own. It's such a rare treat, usually in an escape room there's at least 2 other people running around. I once did one with a total of 5 people and some puzzles got solved without me even knowing what they were about.

First update 1.0.1 will be out soon to handle it ;-)
    Will our save games be compatible with updated versions?

Days
    • Seen today
    I'll read the spoilers once I've made it to the ground floor :) I'm staying away from the Game Master because this is the first one I haven't watched on Youtube and I really, really want to complete it on my own. It's such a rare treat, usually in an escape room there's at least 2 other people running around. I once did one with a total of 5 people and some puzzles got solved without me even knowing what they were about.

Will our save games be compatible with updated versions?
    save games shouldn't be affected from what I am expecting. If so, I would definitely highlight it in the main post!

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Had a blast with this (as well as your previous one). I don't know what my final playtime really was, because I had to fully restart at one point and I also made liberal use of fast-forward, but I'd guess total maybe two hours? No Game Master advice used. Gonna put some thoughts in spoilers below:
    Spoiler:

Very fun overall. I had to use two Game Master hints on your previous escape room, so I'm happy I didn't need any here. Excited to hopefully see more from you at some point!

Days
    • Seen today
    Had a blast with this (as well as your previous one). I don't know what my final playtime really was, because I had to fully restart at one point and I also made liberal use of fast-forward, but I'd guess total maybe two hours? No Game Master advice used. Gonna put some thoughts in spoilers below:
    Spoiler:

Very fun overall. I had to use two Game Master hints on your previous escape room, so I'm happy I didn't need any here. Excited to hopefully see more from you at some point!
    Thanks a lot for that great feedback! I am very happy you liked it and seriously impressed you managed to finish it without any hints!

Regarding your points see below spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Thanks again for this great write up!

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Spoiler: A quick response to your response

Days
    • Seen today
    Spoiler: A quick response to your response
    Hahaha...spoiler talk :D

Spoiler: