• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to battling, building my first real team!

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    So being fairly new to competitive battling, I have been wanting to put together a team that is not only effective, but also fun!

While I currently do not have a full roster, I have 3-4 pokemon that I have decided would make the cut. Not only do I like them a lot, but I find they are pretty effective. Problem is, I'm unsure on what to round the team out with. I'm 2-3 pokemon short of a team, and could use some advice on what others may work well with the ones I have selected. Feel free to weigh in on whatever you may like, be it movesets, or just overall advice. I am fairly new and am open to suggestions!

I like to play tricky. I want to keep my opponents guessing as to what's next, and make them wonder as to just what it is they are in for.

The Team So Far!

Garchomp

EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 SpD
    Jolly Nature
    Ability: Rough Skin
    Item: Rocky Helmet

-Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Fire Blast

Gengar
    EV's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 SpD
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Life Orb

-Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Sludge Wave

and Gengar's partner in crime:

Zoroark (I love the ability to switch him in on the DL, but trying to find a moveset for him has proven challenging)
    EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 SpD
    Timid Nature

-Dark Pulse
    -Extrasensory
    -Flamethrower
    -U-Turn (unsure about this choice. Would this reveal Zoroark? Or would it attack and then keep his identity a secret?)

And that's what I have... I'm unsure of what else would go well on my team. Any suggestions are appreciated, as I'm a bit new. Thanks!

Last edited:

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    Maybe skarmory for spikes leads and starmie as spinner. Sorry I don't know their move set or natures, ect. off hand, but them up on smogon.
    But then agin I shouldn't be trying to give advice, as still a beginner at this.
    But laying some kinda of entry hazards is important in this metagame

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gengar needs Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave to more easily handle Fairies, since they're rather prominent. Despite its frailty, Gengar's good defensive typing allows it to run offensive utility sets:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond/Taunt
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

or
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt/Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Disable
    EVs: 28 HP/148 SAtk/80 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

or
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

While Zoroark is most certainly capable of throwing opponents off with Illusion, the introduction of Fairy Pokemon severely hurt its usefulness, as the vast majority of them can take a Flamethrower. You'll have to consider switching it out, I'm afraid.

Infernape, while still decent, faces stiff competition from the Mega Charizards, Talonflame and Heatran as Fire attackers. But if you insist:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Overheat
    -Close Combat/Taunt
    -Endeavor
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 168 Atk/88 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Mach Punch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Thunder Punch/Grass Knot
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 168 Atk/88 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Iron Fist

or
    -Close Combat
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 212 HP/4 Atk/252 Def/40 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Blaze

As WolfMirage already mentioned, you need a Stealth Rock user. Stealth Rock is an important entry hazard, as it damages an opponent that switches in; the damage they take is based on their type. Prominent Stealth Rock setters include Ferrothorn, Therian Landorus and Garchomp:

Ferrothorn:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
    -Power Whip/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Therian Landorus:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -U-turn
    -Stone Edge/Knock Off/Rock Slide
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/8 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -U-turn
    -Knock Off/Stone Edge/Explosion
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/184 Spe
    Item: Earth Plate/Soft Sand/Normal Gem

Garchomp:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Swords Dance
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry/Focus Sash/Rocky Helmet

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    Also don't for get to add a poke with rapid spin/defog, as u can most likely be sure ur oppent is gonna lay some kinda entry hazzard for ur pokes. Rapid spin or defog will help keep ur side of feild clear, but I'd ask platinumdude what the best spinner/defog pokes r.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Awesome responses, thanks! Gonna make some changes then edit the post. Got a lot to think about!

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    Lol, I know, it super hard to put together a team, I'm still lost myself

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Oddly enough, the one pokemon I wanted to keep was Zoroark... it was kind of my inspiration for picking Gengar, as I could force a switch and take advantage of it.

Infernape, I am ok with leaving aside. Much as I love him, I know there are better options.

So what do I need now? I know I need something to help me punch through the walls that land in my way, and I think another solid attacker. (I'm thinking Greninja, but I already have Dark coverage, though I do need a Water 'mon.)

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    I'd add either rapid spin stormie, defog siczor/latios. Defog/rapid spin is just as important as using entry hazzards

Also use marriland team builder, as it will show u ur teams weakness and resistances

rob_thijs

Trick Room Master
    Years
  • Oddly enough, the one pokemon I wanted to keep was Zoroark... it was kind of my inspiration for picking Gengar, as I could force a switch and take advantage of it.

Infernape, I am ok with leaving aside. Much as I love him, I know there are better options.

So what do I need now? I know I need something to help me punch through the walls that land in my way, and I think another solid attacker. (I'm thinking Greninja, but I already have Dark coverage, though I do need a Water 'mon.)

Greninja can be any type he want to be, I've seen Greninja's without Dark Pulse. It's what you please, just make sure you attack before you opponent and you can make him any type you want.

Team Magma Teambuilder can be found over here.
    It shows what your team is weak to, if it covers that weakness and it shows your move coverage.

As WolfMirage suggested you could go with Rapid Spin Starmie, Excadrill etc. Or Defog support like Latias/Scizor etc.

Most teams need the following:

- Tank
    - Physical Attacker
    - Special Attacker
    - Priority
    - Defog / Rapid Spin support
    - Rocks / Spikes setter

But you can go full offensive or full defensive, it's what you please.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Most teams need the following:

- Tank
    - Physical Attacker
    - Special Attacker
    - Priority
    - Defog / Rapid Spin support
    - Rocks / Spikes setter

Love the Scizor idea (mega or normal?). Such an awesome 'mon. So Ferrothorn is my Rock setter, Gengar my Sp. Attacker, Zoroark, erm... seems he's in a weird spot... so now I just need a good physical attacker and tank...

Back