• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to Pokemon Anime

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    I'm 30 years old and don't really have time to watch every single episode of Pokemon from season 1 to now.

Can I just watch the movies to kind of follow what's happened throughout the years or is it absolutely necessary to watch all the episodes?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    There are plot based episodes (in that something important happens), so you could skip around whenever you have the chance. You can find the relevant episodes here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Timeline_of_events_in_the_anime. It's still quite a bit, but it's a lot less then what there actually is.

This is your best bet. Just pick out what you think may or may not be "fillers". Gym battles are usually a hit, capture/evolution ones, evil team ones, and usually the contest episodes during AG and DP. Take your time, watch at your leisure.. reading summaries off of bulbapedia alone takes away all the fun.

Movies aren't that helpful if you want a general sense of what's going on because they're pretty much their own thing.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I think it depends on how long you want to take to watch things. Do you want to sit and watch every little thing or look for the bigger things? I myself thought about watching every single episode but then got to the point of watching things that I might like better.

Years
  • Gym battles are usually a hit, capture/evolution ones, evil team ones, and usually the contest episodes during AG and DP. Take your time, watch at your leisure.. reading summaries off of bulbapedia alone takes away all the fun.
    ^ This would definitely be the ideal way to experience all that's really necessary. I am currently in the process of making a list of the episodes according to Bulbapedia, then color coding them based off certain things that are widely considered important so as to make a more apprehensive guide.

Movies aren't that helpful if you want a general sense of what's going on because they're pretty much their own thing.
    Except for maybe Lucario and the Mystery of Mew; considering it reveals Ash's aura abilities, which is later mentioned in AG.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Except for maybe Lucario and the Mystery of Mew; considering it reveals Ash's aura abilities, which is later mentioned in AG.

Generally, the events in movies continuity with the main anime is very questionable. Mewtwo strikes back is for sure is in the same verse. Aura may have been mentioned once, but I'm fairly positive it's never mentioned again. It's possible to fit each movie into a timeslot between anime episodes, but movie events are usually never brought up in the anime.

Generally, the movies don't have continuity with themselves either. There's only one mewtwo in the first movie, but suddenly there's two in the genesect movie...whoops... Only real continuity between movies is the DP movies, which is where the group remember certain legendaries that are prevalent in 3/4 movies.

Point is, OP wants to know if the movies will give them a general understanding of what's going on in the anime, and the answer is no. All the important character development and individual accomplishments are contained in the anime itself.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I'm 30 years old and don't really have time to watch every single episode of Pokemon from season 1 to now.

Can I just watch the movies to kind of follow what's happened throughout the years or is it absolutely necessary to watch all the episodes?

Piece of advice , Just watch the Original series & DP series ! Drop the rest .
    If you like Anime with specific Storyline and development then Pokemon isn't the anime for you.
    Also , The series lost its humor after Original series. So , It not even as enjoyable as endless animes like Doreamon , Crayon Shin-chn & Gintama.
    Plus , The new Writers of pokemon anime shows clear favoritism toward "New Characters " they created themselves even if they have to ruin an entire series for them! Trust me , "Best Wishs" would have been a great series if writer didn't show favoritism toward Trip , Cameron and Iris while treating Ash like a crap for them.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Don't listen to Famon. Let yourself develop your own thoughts on the show. You might hate the later generations, but there are plenty of people who still really enjoy the anime. As for watching it from the beginning you don't have to do so. It's all one story, but honestly you can just into any series and you won't be lost on what's going on. Maybe a few details here and there but they're usually good in telling you things that they're bringing back up and so forth.

And seconding what people are saying about the movies. They're kinda their own thing so it's up to you whether to watch them as well.

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    I don't recommend you watch all episodes from the start to the current, In fact I actually recommend you watch anything that isn't filler (E.G New catches, evolutions, anything plot related (E.G Evil organizations), league battles, contests (AG and DP only) and gym battles) Here's a run down of episodes you should watch

Episode 1 - Pokemon, I choose you (Introduces Ash, Misty, Gary and Pikachu)
    Episode 2 - Pokemon Emergency (Introduces Team Rocket)
    Episode 3 - Ash catches a Pokemon (Ash catches his first pokemon, Caterpie)
    Episode 5 - Showdown in Pewter City (Introduces Brock, Ash wins the boulder badge)
    Episode 6 - The water flowers of Cerulean City (Ash wins the Cascade badge)
    Episode 10 - Bulbasaur and the hidden Villager (Ash gets bulbasaur)
    Episode 11 - Charmander - The stray Pokemon (Ash gets charmander)
    Episode 12 - Here comes the squirtle squad (Ash gets Squirtle)
    Episode 14 - Electric shock showdown (Ash battles Lt. Surge and manages to win the Thunder badge)
    Episode 21 - Not spoiling this episode
    Episode 24 - Haunter vs Kadabra (Ash battles with Sabrina and gets the Marsh badge)
    Episode 25 - Primape goes bananas (Ash catches Primape)
    Episode 26 - Pokemon scent station (Ash gets the rainbow badge)
    Episode 27 - Hypno's naptime (Misty gets psyduck)
    Epiosde 28 - Pokemon Fashion flash (Brock gets vulpix)
    Episode 29 - Not spoiling this episode
    Episode 31 - Dig those diglett (Jessie's Ekans and James' koffing evolve into arbok and wheezing)
    Episode 32 - The ninja-Poke showdown (Ash battles with Koga and gets a Soul badge)
    Episode 44 - The attack of the prehistoric Pokemon (Ash's charmander evolves into Charmeleon and also evolves into charizard)
    Episode 48 - Who gets to keep togepi (Misty gets togepi)
    Episode 55 - The breeding center secret (Introduces Cassidy and Butch)
    Episode 56 - Riddle me this (Ash vs Blaine 1)
    Episode 57 - Volcanic panic (Ash vs Blaine 2, Ash gets the Volcano badge)
    Episode 61 - Battle of the badge (Ash gets the earth badge)
    Episode 70 - Go west young meowth (Not really important but it shows alot of meowth's past)
    Episode 74 - episode 80 - The first pokemon league

That's most of the important episodes in the original season

Back