• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] Nice to meet you

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    Hello, I've been a fan of Pokemon since Gen IV, but really got back into the series in 2021 after playing the Gen V games. I'm looking forward to chatting about the series with everyone.

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    Hello there Gruffin, and welcome to the PC! Nice to have you here!

Do you have a favorite Pokemon? How about a favorite Typing?

Hope to see ya around!

Hello! My favorite is Zoroark, both Unovan and Hisuian. I don't really have a favorite typing, but a lot of Dragon and Dark types appeal to me.

Years
    Hello, I've been a fan of Pokemon since Gen IV, but really got back into the series in 2021 after playing the Gen V games. I'm looking forward to chatting about the series with everyone.

Hello Gruffin, and welcome to the forums!
    Have you played Black 2 or White 2 ? They, I think, are the best games regarding training and evolving Pokémon!
    What are your favourite Dragon type Pokémon ? Mine are Salamence, Rayquaza, Druddigon and Kommo-O!

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    Hello Gruffin, and welcome to the forums!
    Have you played Black 2 or White 2 ? They, I think, are the best games regarding training and evolving Pokémon!
    What are your favourite Dragon type Pokémon ? Mine are Salamence, Rayquaza, Druddigon and Kommo-O!

Yep, I loved Black/White 2! The gameplay is definitely the height of the series for me as well, and while I preferred the plot of the first Black/White, it was an excellent sequel.

I loved seeing how the region changed after two years and how Cheren and Bianca became mentors to the new protagonists; I had an odd sense of pride for them over that, ahaha. The soundtrack's great, the animated pixel art is wonderful, there's so many new gameplay features, Hugh's existence...I could go on. Don't get me started about N and Ghetsis because that will turn into an essay. xD They're easily my favorite villains in the series.

As for dragon types, I love Noivern, Haxorus, Dragonair, Goomy line, Rayquaza (especially the shiny), Garchomp, the Tao Trio, Giratina, Deino line, Koraidon, Walking Wake...It's a lot. I was a huge dragon fan as a kid and that hasn't changed a bit.

Years
    Yep, I loved Black/White 2! The gameplay is definitely the height of the series for me as well, and while I preferred the plot of the first Black/White, it was an excellent sequel.

I loved seeing how the region changed after two years and how Cheren and Bianca became mentors to the new protagonists; I had an odd sense of pride for them over that, ahaha. The soundtrack's great, the animated pixel art is wonderful, there's so many new gameplay features, Hugh's existence...I could go on. Don't get me started about N and Ghetsis because that will turn into an essay. xD They're easily my favorite villains in the series.

As for dragon types, I love Noivern, Haxorus, Dragonair, Goomy line, Rayquaza (especially the shiny), Garchomp, the Tao Trio, Giratina, Deino line, Koraidon, Walking Wake...It's a lot. I was a huge dragon fan as a kid and that hasn't changed a bit.

I have not played the first two, but in Black 2, I loved many Pokémon, like Serperior's line, how many ways there are to train the Pokémon (Black Tower, League, top trainers, the Audino...), the Galleria we can fully devote to raising Pokémon's happiness, the underwater treasure worth over 1,000,000 Pokédollars, ...

I was a huge dragon fan as a kid and that hasn't changed a bit.

You and me both! ^^

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    I have not played the first two, but in Black 2, I loved many Pokémon, like Serperior's line, how many ways there are to train the Pokémon (Black Tower, League, top trainers, the Audino...), the Galleria we can fully devote to raising Pokémon's happiness, the underwater treasure worth over 1,000,000 Pokédollars, ...
    I like the Serperior line too. They're so sassy lol.

Are there any of these features that you miss in the newer games? I know I wish that the medal system stuck around.

Years
    I like the Serperior line too. They're so sassy lol.

Are there any of these features that you miss in the newer games? I know I wish that the medal system stuck around.

Not to get started on a Serperior with the Contrary Ability and Leaf Storm...
    Well, things like the Black Tower (many trainers, a wide range of levels, auto-healing by leaving the stairs and back for more, and the big XP bags Audino, especially. Black 2 / White 2 really were at the peak.
    Also, the hours spent trying to find a wild Politoed, only for it to make itself faint after 3 turns... and using Bounce to make sure I couldn't even try and catch it in time! The memories... ^^

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    Not to get started on a Serperior with the Contrary Ability and Leaf Storm...
    All it needs is a Life Orb :P

Well, things like the Black Tower (many trainers, a wide range of levels, auto-healing by leaving the stairs and back for more, and the big XP bags Audino, especially. Black 2 / White 2 really were at the peak.
    Also, the hours spent trying to find a wild Politoed, only for it to make itself faint after 3 turns... and using Bounce to make sure I couldn't even try and catch it in time! The memories... ^^
    Admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time in Black Tower, but I might check that out sometime. And the Audinos were nice, yeah. Most of my training during the main campaign was through them and the Big Stadium/Small Court.

Years
    All it needs is a Life Orb :P
    Losing a few HP ? No problem! A little Giga Drain with Sp. Atk.x6, and done! ^^

Admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time in Black Tower, but I might check that out sometime. And the Audinos were nice, yeah. Most of my training during the main campaign was through them and the Big Stadium/Small Court.

It's also funny how many Rare Candies we can get over the main run. I got to 30 Rare Candies, that I kept for when my 6 Pokémon got to level 95! Fun thing, in my first run, I didn't even know about the Audino's XP bags, and used mostly the Black Tower and the League!

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    It's also funny how many Rare Candies we can get over the main run. I got to 30 Rare Candies, that I kept for when my 6 Pokémon got to level 95! Fun thing, in my first run, I didn't even know about the Audino's XP bags, and used mostly the Black Tower and the League!
    Oh yes, if I'm remembering correctly, the first Black/White was similarly full of rare candies. I usually don't use them, but I remember when I first ran into Cynthia I quickly fed nearly my entire stockpile to my Reshiram so I could skip that particular struggle. xD

Speaking of, are there any NPCs that you like from the series? I tend to choose my favorites based on design and how they are written as characters since I'm an artist/writer myself, but since you seem like someone who appreciates the mechanical side of things, I'm interested in hearing how our tastes might differ.

Years
    Oh yes, if I'm remembering correctly, the first Black/White was similarly full of rare candies. I usually don't use them, but I remember when I first ran into Cynthia I quickly fed nearly my entire stockpile to my Reshiram so I could skip that particular struggle. xD

Speaking of, are there any NPCs that you like from the series? I tend to choose my favorites based on design and how they are written as characters since I'm an artist/writer myself, but since you seem like someone who appreciates the mechanical side of things, I'm interested in hearing how our tastes might differ.

Not especially. In the official Pokémon games, what I mostly like is, pretty much, my character and my Pokémon, beating trainers and exploring. What about you ? What are your favourite NPCs ?

Years
    Ah rare candies... they're still useful at high levels nowadays, like level 85+, but otherwise Experience candies are objectively superior in the newer games, especially the XL ones. One XL candy will get a level 1 Pokemon to somewhere in the late level 20's, no matter the experience group. Whereas a Rare Candy would just take it from level 1 to level 2.

Anyway, hello!

Do you have a type you stick with when picking starters or do you pick them based on design or something else?

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    Not especially. In the official Pokémon games, what I mostly like is, pretty much, my character and my Pokémon, beating trainers and exploring. What about you ? What are your favourite NPCs ?
    Makes sense! As for me, I find that I usually like the rivals; Green, Silver, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, and N if you consider him to be one. It's fun watching them grow as they go on their journey alongside the player character, and I love to imagine how my character responds their dialogue as I play through.

Ah rare candies... they're still useful at high levels nowadays, like level 85+, but otherwise Experience candies are objectively superior in the newer games, especially the XL ones. One XL candy will get a level 1 Pokemon to somewhere in the late level 20's, no matter the experience group. Whereas a Rare Candy would just take it from level 1 to level 2.

Anyway, hello!

Do you have a type you stick with when picking starters or do you pick them based on design or something else?
    Yep yep, times have changed.

It's a bit of both, actually. I tend to like the designs of the grass starters most, so that's who I pick.

Nice Eeveelution banner, by the way. :3c You're a Glaceon fan, I take it?

Years
    Makes sense! As for me, I find that I usually like the rivals; Green, Silver, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, and N if you consider him to be one. It's fun watching them grow as they go on their journey alongside the player character, and I love to imagine how my character responds their dialogue as I play through.

Yep yep, times have changed.

It's a bit of both, actually. I tend to like the designs of the grass starters most, so that's who I pick.

Nice Eeveelution banner, by the way. :3c You're a Glaceon fan, I take it?

Glaceon's been my favorite Pokemon for a long time, but I like all the eeveelutions.
    Though I gotta admit Alolan Ninetales has been creeping up on Glaceon for that #1 spot for a good while now.

Speaking of regional forms. Do you like them? (or perhaps I should ask if there are any that you like?)

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
    Glaceon's been my favorite Pokemon for a long time, but I like all the eeveelutions.
    Though I gotta admit Alolan Ninetales has been creeping up on Glaceon for that #1 spot for a good while now.

Speaking of regional forms. Do you like them? (or perhaps I should ask if there are any that you like?)

I don't blame you; Alolan Ninetales is pretty great.

And yeah! I'm a huge fan of the regional forms, the Hisuian ones especially. If I were to list out which ones I liked, it would be nearly all of them lol. The concept of redesigning Pokemon with different typings is just fun in general.

Back