• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknaming themes!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Below are examples of my nicknaming themes; though they've been converted to competitive movesets.

Spoiler:

That's only to name a few...yes, I know I'm addicted to Touhou. My themes are usually video games, memes or anime/manga.

Years
    There have been quite a few people who name their Pokémon after different types of foods; it's probably the most overused naming theme you can find. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, sometimes they can think of clever nicknames for certain ones.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    I have various themes, mostly just characters I like from things:

Bulbasaur: Rosina, the feisty heroine from The Barber of Seville,
    Dratini: Morrigan, my favourite DA:O character
    Charmander: Flambeau, meaning beautiful flame, he's the sidekick of the lovely Father Brown from the G.K Chesterton novels
    Magby: Columbo, because it smokes as much as Columbo and I love Columbo
    Wooper: Aristotle, because it's based on the Axolotl and the semi-rhyme works
    Jigglypuff: Despina, the flirty little viper songstress from Cosi Fan Tutte
    Cubone: Remy/Romalie/Selena because it has a connection with the moon and was raised by creatures not related to its birth mother,
    Mr Mime: Feste, Twelfth Night's witty fool

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    So for nicknaming themes I've used, here's a list:

League of Legends - whatever pokemon was suitable in whatever game, it makes me easier to remember them

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Pokemon Black, I even named my Player character Jojo

Heroes of Newerth - I have a scyther in Y i named "Swiftblade". It was a Jolly Scyther, it deserved the name.

Internet personalities - I have a Jolly Darumaka i just recently hatched. I think you all know how what I'll be naming it.

Household products - they work at times.. they just do.

Various anime and manga that isn't JJBA or Fist of the North Star - Most of my Pokemon Y characters are named as these.

Silly sound effects - Mostly what i call to "junk" pokemon. These are what i catch early in the game but only up to their intended use. Eventually rather than release them, I box them in order to reserve them for later.

Megaman - My Ruby savefile is pretty much named after various Megaman Characters. My Blaziken in that game was named after megaman x8's Burn Rooster and the Groudon was named Dinorex after Megaman X5's Burn Dinorex. And since i picked the female avatar, i named her Roll.

Superheroes - probably the more cliche's ones but again, they are easy to remember.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    My nicknames are usually either me just being stupid, or me translating names into different languages. I did a Gale Of Darkness run where I gave all of my pokemon Russian names. And then that just kinda flowed through and I started using Russian names for my challenge teams. Russian and German are best nicknames.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    There have been quite a few people who name their Pokémon after different types of foods; it's probably the most overused naming theme you can find. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, sometimes they can think of clever nicknames for certain ones.

I picked up on the food trend back around 2010 or 2011 when I gave my Serperior the nickname Vin Blanc, my Cinccino was then named Cappuccino, and so on. I still use that theme to this day and I've very rarely used repeat names, its really fun (and appetizing) looking up all of the possibilities to nickname Pokémon after foods that fit them perfectly - like my Samurott named Sashimi or my Azumarill named Bubble Tea lol. I think mythological names are much more overused too.

Aside from foods, I do flowers sometimes and right now I'm doing a really dorky Cardfight!! Vanguard theme and naming my AS team after my favorite card clan.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I don't really have a theme, I just nickname whatever I like.

I normally have a nickname theme whenever I'm using an existing character and role played them on a Pokemon game. Like, one character ends everything with -taru, one character names them with colors, one after types of sweets. It varies.

The only time I had a nickname theme is when I replayed Platinum and give everyone nicknames from the Kingdom Hearts series.

Years
    Sometimes I pick a theme, sometimes I don't. At this stage I have so many save files that I literally can't say whether I give nicknames more often than I don't, or vice-versa.

When I DO nickname, I guess it depends on what I nickname my starter. For example in White, I called my Tepig "Piggee" and from there on, everything had "ee" at the end (Like, Haxorus was Rusee, Zekrom was Zekree, stuff like that). Basically I followed the nicknaming format set by the Pokémon Adventures manga, where you pick a syllable and incorporate it with the Pokémon's existing name.

On the other hand, sometimes the initial nickname is a bit too obscure to make a theme around it. In OR, my Swampert was called "Ribo" (based on my original Ruby Swampert - I guess it's just a similar sound to the word 'Ruby' or something, I don't know). But from there on it was free reign for other nicknames. Electrode was 'Blitzball', Swellow was 'Flap-Happy', Ninetales was 'Vixen', Sharpedo was 'Chompy' and my female Breloom was 'Sisbreh'.

And after all that, sometimes I don't nickname at all. I mostly prefer to either commit to it entirely, or not do it at all. Which is annoying because it's all too easy to forget, and end up with mostly-nicknamed Pokémon, haha.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    Whilst breeding, I got bored and just started naming the rejects after random countries. The ones with really poor IVs after the more obscure ones, like Swaziland and Kyrgyzstan.

Melacine

kik: melacinee
    Years
    Usually I leave my Pokemon unnamed, or I name them after my favorite book characters, tv show characters, songs, etc.

Charizard-Scully (The X-Files)
    Umbreon- Trelawney (Harry Potter)
    Greninja- Mulder (The X-Files)
    Venusaur- (Woodstock....flower power, ayy)
    Garchomp- Khaleesi (Game of Thrones)
    Espeon- Melacine (song)
    Salemence- Daenerys (Game of Thrones)
    Sylveon- Eowyn (Lord of the Rings)
    Sableye- Galadriel (Lord of the Rings)
    Vaporeon- Pisces
    Mew- Arwyn (LotR but different spelling)

There are probably other's I've named, I just can't remember them all right now lol.

Years
    I usually name my pokémon after gods, goddesses, and various mythology! Hatí, Sköll, Loki, etc. Might go into more detail when I'm not watching a stream.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    Normally I don't have a theme and nickname my Pokemon whatever comes to mind - a pun, a random word related to it somehow, after a character, whatever. In W2 I started to nickname my team after book characters but I didn't get very far in W2 so never finished my whole team haha. :P

Etherion

In challenges, I use colors, flowers, greek gods and the seven deadly sins for my nicknaming theme :)

banjopop7_7

Unova’s superhero!
    Years
    I usually just name like Maily for pelipper or Sounder for Whismur. Reccently I named my Pokemon in my challenge on Y after gods + what their based of, like posinja (Poseidon + ninja). And in my challenge on W2 after Disney characters like Dale for a Patrat

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I'm pretty bad with nicknames so I usually just do whatever I want and either name them really stupid things or characters from things I'm currently into. I also take ideas from friends if I have absolutely no idea what to call a pokémon.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I have this thing where I name my pokemon after J-rockers now. :x That counts as a theme, right? I used to just name them after my friends. Though nowadays, I find it fun to go searching for pokemon that fit my favorite J-rockers a lot.

My current team for White 2 is:

Kanon the Vulpix (Kanon is from an Cafe)
    Jin the Poliwhirl (Jin is from SCREW)
    Takeru the Servine (Takeru from SuG/my hero)
    Haru the Emolga (Haru is from Dog in the PWO)
    Koichi the Tranquill (Koichi is from Mejibray/soon to be Unfezant)
    Hizaki the Gardevior (Hizaki from Jupiter/Yes people, HE'S A GUY)

I like doing this. It's just really fun. :D

Years
    I done a SoulSilver Nuzlocke with the naming theme of Arthurian characters. My starter of course being (King) Arthur and continuing on with Sir Key and Sir Ector

This made for a really enjoyable experience and whenever an ally fainted it truly felt like a Knight had fallen valiantly on the battlefield.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Recent HeartGold names:

Noctowl: Hedwig
    Raticate: Scabbers
    Ariados: Aragog

My trainer has a lightning bolt scar.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
    I usually pick nicknames for my gen 6 pokemon that are related to it in some ways:
    Teruna (Shiny Delphox) - based off of the korean pronunciation of Braixen's name
    Hoarfrost (Shiny Abomasnow) - picked this name while I was checking for any synonyms with ice

Back