• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo is Falling Apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Dark Sora said:
    Of course people are gonna mention those games. They're all great. But if you want some more game titles...

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Viewtiful Joe 1&2
    Budokai 1&2 (bonus features not on PS2 version)
    Resident Evil series
    Sonic the Hedgehog series
    NBA Street series

Those are just some of the great games for Gamecube. And as you see, those are not 'old' games.

Hate to steal your thunder but I need to comment on that.. MGS: TTS is just a remake of one of the original titles on the PS with some new material thrown in to hide this fact. Given that a lot of players on the cube probably havn't played the original, it must seem like bliss since the PS2 is getting all the MGS titles lately. New, I'd say not, but whatever, it's the first for the 'cube.

Viewtiful Joe WAS a completely stunning title that took the industry by force: Capcom shows that without originality restriants placed on it with some publishers, they can make absolutely stellar games with blazing creativity. Old schoolers loved this game, scrolling beat-em-up games revamped with new cel-shading and more abilities to keep it all fresh and going. PN03 also was a stab into somewhat newer areas in the lackluster game library of the GC, but it wasn't quite as popular unfortunately. Capcom's also going to continue this trend with its next few games, Killer 7 (GCN) and Okami (PS2) are going to be their next sleeper hits.

Budokai I havn't played so I can't really comment.. DBZ?

Resident Evil series... please don't get me started. It's the same plague as the street fighter series, Capcom does have a very bad habit of recycling material much like Nintendo, continually regurgitating the same old flotsam title after title, offering up marginally tweaked gameplay and graphics. Zero was ok, still annoyingly insufficient gameplay issues that weren't fixed (lack of ammo, somewhat improved and tweaked camera issues, sure it's part of the series to give all this in deficiency to try and make the game more difficult, but I'm pretty confident to say that a lot of gamers would have enjoyed it more had you simply been given more bullets and more enemies, rather than less bullets and more enemies). Anyway.. sure, if you want it get it, but it's not really new.

Sonic the Hedgehog series, sure, Ninty's just taken over making these games from SEGA. Is it really Ninty's doing then? New? What?

NBA Street series.... do you actually enjoy sports games? Well if you do, do yourself a favour and go play the PS2 versions.. the dualshock is easier to play with, and the fanbase agrees with me in sales and opinions. Otherwise it's just year after year of EA re-releases of the same garbage with reskinned untweaked material.

Personally I'd suggest you go get Baten Kaitos, the first (and probably last) RPG greatness that the GC has experienced. Tales of Symphonia is a good bet as well, I didn't like it quite as much as BK, but that's me, and almost everyone else has rated it the top RPG for the 'cube. If only Ninty would get smart and work with Namco more closely... :\

~DS

Last edited:

Kratos

ghostofsparta
    Years
    • Age 33
    • HFIL
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    I think their are kiddy games for Gamecube. But in no way do I consider Zelda a kiddy game.

Kratos

ghostofsparta
    Years
    • Age 33
    • HFIL
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    But Nintendo only submits the games for their systems, what about the companies that actually develop the games for Nintendo.

Dark Sora

Banned
    Years
    DeltaSuicune said:
    Hate to steal your thunder but I need to comment on that.. MGS: TTS is just a remake of one of the original titles on the PS with some new material thrown in to hide this fact.

True, but Twin Snakes is better than the other Metal Gear Solid games, graphics and gameplay wise. So that's a big plus for Nintendo.

NBA Street series.... do you actually enjoy sports games? Well if you do, do yourself a favour and go play the PS2 versions..

I have played the PS2 version, and I find the Game Cube version alot easier to play. Even my friends say that it's easier to play the GC version. And they have it for PS2.

Also, I wanted to get ToS, but I dont have my GC anymore. My brother took it with him, when he moved out.

Last edited:

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Dilos Ekans said:
    edit: To answer arcanines post, it was a letdown because Nintendo isn't living up to the Nintendo name. They always say, "Listen folks we got somthing innovative!" But nothing they pump out turns the way it should be.
    At least they think of new stuff unlike Sony and Microsoft. Were they the first to come up with two screens? A touch-screen? Being able to download all their old games? Or have more then 2 controller ports? etc. That's not innovative or ahead of the pack? If not then what is? Show me something on the PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, X-Box, XBox 360 that is innovative and some how out does Nintendo on new stuff.

Dilos Ekans said:
    The gamecube is losing mass 3rd party support. In the old days it was number1 with that. Now every so often developers know a game won't make any money for the cube so they'll skip the multi console release and just do a ps2 and xbox outing.
    You mean companies like Bandai, EA, Capcom, Activision, Vivendi, UBI Soft, as well as others. Game Cube is losing mass 3rd party support but for some odd reason they still make games for the GC.

Dilos Ekans said:
    Now about the innovative junk, they said connectivity would lead and be just as good as online play. Haha what a joke. They're rarley doing it anymore. Ahhh the DS. Nintendos gimmick campaign. It's got two screens! If it had one, and with the touch screen it owuld have been much better.
    There is some good and bad points to connectivity and online. I would like to play my friends then play someone online I don't know. Most of my friends don't have wireless internet, so I can't play the DS online with them. But online you do get to go online and kick someone's butt.
    And as you may or may not know, the Nintendo Revolution will be Wireless Internet ready right out of the box. So if you got WI then you can play games online the day you get your Revolution. From what I seen Nintendo might be the way to go for the next gen online stuff (X-Box was the last Gen's).

What is wrong with two screens? A map on one and the game screen on the other. It beats having one of them really small track maps at the corner of the screen. I like the idea that the next Mario Kart game will have the bottom screen is a map.

Mario Kart on the GBA

Mario Kart on the DS

Which one looks better? The one with the little track and the top 4 racers. Or the one with a full screen map on the buttom with all 8 racers?

The bottom being a touch screen you can do new things to games and adds a new twist to games.

If you think about it a little then you won't see it as much as a "gimmick" as you said in your post.

patey

teh virus of osiris -0369-
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2005
    who says ninty is falling apart dont you mean they are on there way up
    think about it- DS lineup was ok then fink about the future games coming up
    the revo is goin to be one hell of a beast and if ninty fall apart that means that.....
    pokemon will stop selling if this happens ill kill your cuz for cursing nintendo well i think i have sed enuff for today-patey

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    dilos ekans said:
    We all agree that gameplay is number 1. But that's what the GameCube is lacking.

edit: To answer arcanines post, it was a letdown because Nintendo isn't living up to the Nintendo name. They always say, "Listen folks we got somthing innovative!" But nothing they pump out turns the way it should be. The gamecube is losing mass 3rd party support. In the old days it was number1 with that. Now every so often developers know a game won't make any money for the cube so they'll skip the multi console release and just do a ps2 and xbox outing.

Now about the innovative junk, they said connectivity would lead and be just as good as online play. Haha what a joke. They're rarley doing it anymore. Ahhh the DS. Nintendos gimmick campaign. It's got two screens! If it had one, and with the touch screen it owuld have been much better.

I love nintendo, favorite gaming company as a kid. But i'm just saying they're lacking these years. Hopfully they took notes from the competitors and decided to release a monster of a gaming expierence in the Revolution.

AHhhhhhhhhh FREAKING SITE KEEPS FREEZING.
    What do you mean nothing they pump out turns the way it should? Look at the DS ? one of the most innovative systems ? sold over 15 million copies. Many, many people are more than happy with their DS?s, and with all the new add-ons coming out, it is looking to become a great handheld system. Look at the n64, most popular console at its time. Look at the gamecube, widely popular and has a wide variety of great games that have pleased all audiences.

What on earth are you talking about, the DS a gimmick. That is one of the most immature posts I have ever read. It is a wonderful, innovative system that will be even better in the future with great 3rd party commitment and plenty of great add-ons coming. By no chance is the DS a gimmick, it is an innovative system with a slew of great games coming out.

dilos ekans said:
    I disagree. Every Nintendo Fanboy mentions SSBM,Zelda,Mario Sunshine (notice how all these games are freakin' old! nintendo needs to pump out games quick like the competitors.) But aside from that is there anything else? I can't think any off the top of my head, which isn't a good think. Now for ps2 and Xbox there are huge, great gameplay games. It's sad really when a company like nintendo is sucking at platformers compared to Sony. The gamecube is a cool console for lets say, about 15 games. Out of the entire library that's not even a plausible gaming expierence.
    Wow, you posts get more and more immature. If you ask me what my favs games on the GCN were up there you would find the EA sports games, resident evil, timesplitters, sonic adventure 2 battle, final fantasy crystal chronicle, phantasy star online, and numerous others. Obviously you have not seen many of the great non-zelda and Mario games the gamecube has to offer.

MewMagicianChi

~cHoBiTs~
    Years
    The Nintendo is not falling apart, its just getting started.

Nintendo.com said:
    Each generation of video game consoles builds on the past to set new standards for the future. As the company with the strongest heritage of innovation, Nintendo redefines expectations for all next-gen systems by employing a wide-ranging strategy to attract more kinds of gamers to more kinds of games. When Nintendo's new console, code-named Revolution, arrives in 2006, everyone will discover the meaning of All-Access Gaming.

"We will show the world what a next-gen system can be. Revolution marries the strongest heritage of innovation to the future of gaming," says Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. "With backward compatibility and the 'virtual console' concept, the stylish, compact body provides maximum gaming power. It will not only take home entertainment into another dimension by expanding the definition of video games, but it also will give you access to the great history of gaming."

Some of the system features that wowed the crowd at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles include:

The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it's displayed vertically or horizontally.

Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation. But there's more…

The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.

Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

"Our next console proves small in size but big on ideas," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "We're throwing open the doors of gaming to wider audiences, from casual players to hard-core gamers who live for the thrill of defeating an endless army of wireless opponents."

Nintendo's All-Access Gaming philosophy covers the spectrum. The next console fits anywhere. It brings together new games and old. It gives people worldwide access through wireless Wi-Fi connections. And it opens the world of video games – to everyone. Software for the new console will even attract people who don't consider themselves players. Adults, kids, men and women around the world will have access to the most popular video game characters, the best game franchises and the most engaging experiences yet developed – only with Nintendo.

Nintendo.com said:
    The original Game Boy Advance fits comfortably into the pocket of a backpack. The retooled Game Boy Advance SP fits into a coat pocket. Now Nintendo takes aim at the pocket of your tightest jeans with the tiny Game Boy Micro system, quite simply the smallest and sleekest Game Boy product that Nintendo has ever created. It's thinner than a cell phone, as chic as an MP3 player and as fun as a Game Boy. In an instant it attracts attention and positions the image-conscious player as someone on the cutting edge of cool.

The sporty, silver metal Game Boy Micro measures a mere 4 inches wide, 2 inches tall and 0.7 inches deep, allowing it to sit comfortably alongside today's hippest technological gadgets. It weighs an astonishing 2.8 ounces, or about the weight of 80 paper clips. Yet Game Boy Micro has the same processing power and plays the same games as Game Boy Advance SP models, complete with standard face controls and gleaming shoulder and Start/Select buttons that literally shine.

With Game Boy Micro, everyone plays with style. A removable face plate gives owners the option to buy replacements to customize the look of their systems again and again with new colors and designs. Most notably, its 2-inch backlit screen shines with incredible power, rendering games in startling clarity with fantastic colors on the best Game Boy screen ever. For the first time, users can adjust the brightness of the screen to adapt to indoor lights or outdoor sunshine.

"We're making the gorgeous Game Boy Micro for image-conscious folks who love video games, the ones who want the look of their system to be as cool as the games they play on it," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Because of its diminutive size and industrial-hip look, Game Boy Micro immediately identifies the person playing it as a trendsetter with discriminating style."

Game Boy Micro represents the latest evolution in the image of the Game Boy Advance line, but it is not a successor to any current system. Game Boy Micro will be released this fall. The system comes with a built-in, rechargeable lithium-ion battery and supports standard headphones.

The Game Boy Advance line remains tied for the most popular video game system of this generation. More than 28 million units have sold in the United States, yet Game Boy Advance launched a full eight months after PlayStation 2. Video game fans clearly appreciate great game play and portability. Nearly 700 games are now available for Game Boy Advance.
    All info is from Nintendo.com

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Arcanine said:
    At least they think of new stuff unlike Sony and Microsoft. Were they the first to come up with two screens? A touch-screen? Being able to download all their old games? Or have more then 2 controller ports? etc. That's not innovative or ahead of the pack? If not then what is? Show me something on the PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, X-Box, XBox 360 that is innovative and some how out does Nintendo on new stuff.

The problem is, the runaway success of the PS2 and Xbox has showed that gamers care primarily about games, not innovation. DS and PSP sales are tepid because people believe the systems were made only to combat each other and not with the consumer in mind, even if they are both innovative. The same will go for the Revolution. If they come out and don't release anything worth playing along with the system, they're going to be decimated in sales by the Xbox 360 and PS3, because I think that Sony and Microsoft know not to mess around with obscure, quirky titles and give gamers the quality they want when they want it.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    The PS2 and XBOX didn't exactly destroy the GameCube in sales - the GameCube was a very close third. The GameCube was an extremely popular system, in which many people appreciated the innovation Nintendo put into it. Many people care about innovation as well as games, which is why Nintendo has stayed as one of the ?Big Three.? People appreciate Nintendo?s innovative style, and that is why the ?quirky titles? are very popular. Sony and Microsoft appeal to the gamer that wants games where you go around, mindlessly shooting things without innovative gameplay. Nintendo takes more time in their games, and makes them a lot more fun, even if they don?t appeal to all audiences.

Dark Sora

Banned
    Years
    Arcanine said:
    What is wrong with two screens? A map on one and the game screen on the other. It beats having one of them really small track maps at the corner of the screen. I like the idea that the next Mario Kart game will have the bottom screen is a map.

Mario Kart on the GBA

Mario Kart on the DS

Which one looks better? The one with the little track and the top 4 racers. Or the one with a full screen map on the buttom with all 8 racers?

The bottom being a touch screen you can do new things to games and adds a new twist to games.

If you think about it a little then you won't see it as much as a "gimmick" as you said in your post.

Well, Andy, the two screens and the touch screen was a nice idea, but It get's kinda annoying.

Dual Screen- Though you are allowed to veiw more, with the second screen, it get's really distracting. Looking back forth at the two screens, and all. When it was just one screen, you can veiw the map and your character at the same time, so you didnt have to keep looking back and forth. But with the two screens, looking back and forth will get really annoying and cause you to flip out and lose XD

Touch Screen- It might be fun for a while, but then it gets boring and your hand begins cramping pretty quickly

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    The PS2 and XBOX didn't exactly destroy the GameCube in sales - the GameCube was a very close third. The GameCube was an extremely popular system, in which many people appreciated the innovation Nintendo put into it

Xbox didn't but PS2 did destroy GameCube in sales. It was a distant third.

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    Arcanine said:

The Ps2 introduced the eyetoy which is fun on so many levels. PS2 and Xbox introduced online gaming in the home living room on the console for the first time. The PS3 is taking online to a new level with letting you browse websites just from the ps2. (browse PC!) The x360's hardrive capabilites let you use it as a Tivo, which was originally on the PSX but this is the first time in the us. Sony and Microsoft are doing a lot of things iinnovative. They don't get as much credit.

You mean companies like Bandai, EA, Capcom, Activision, Vivendi, UBI Soft, as well as others. Game Cube is losing mass 3rd party support but for some odd reason they still make games for the GC.
    Yes, but not as much. Losing 3rd party support means it takes games longer to come out. I really can't see another good gamecube game coming out that is an exclusive except Zelda and Geist. 3rd party support is supposed to fill the gap of how long it takes games to come out.

The DS would have been just as good with it having one touch screen. Nintendo knows that the two screens idea would attract idiots. Play the PSP, its just amazing. You'll forget all about it as soon as you pick it up and playing a game, watching movies, listening to music, and cooking supper.

I think you guys have me all wrong. I love Nintendo. But I don't love Nintendos marketing strategies. Their losing all outer support and they're blabbing their mouths about innovative junk when they should be pumping out nintendo classics.

As soon as I see the Revolution and what it can do/announced games. I'll make my decision the future of nintendo.

Kurosaki

So are you calling the people who like the DS "idiots?" And actually, when I pick up a PSP, I think "Wow, this is gonne break the first time I dropped it" or "Wow, MP3, DVD AND game system. Wait, I have all those things seperate!"

When I pick up my DS I think "Wow, I'm in the mood for something different! I'm gonna play the touch screen minigames of Warioware!" or "I think I'll use my DS to chat during english at school!" (I do too, XD)

Casual Billy

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    And actually, when I pick up a PSP, I think "Wow, this is gonne break the first time I dropped it" or "Wow, MP3, DVD AND game system. Wait, I have all those things seperate!"

When I pick up a PSP, I think "usually I'd have to carry three separate devices to accomplish what this one can do!" or "this is as close as it gets to console-quality experience on the go!"

And seriously, everyone talks about durability so much. I am of the opinion that if you are constantly worrying about breaking your portable, you shouldn't have a $150+ piece of hardware to begin with. It's called responsibility. I use the wrist band to ensure against any accidental droppage. Besides that, I'm just regular ol' careful just as I would be with any expensive device. Would you "hate on" laptops because they could break if you dropped them? Would you buy a more durable 35mm camera instead of a 6 mega pixel digital one because the digital one would break more easily? Just because DS is baby proof doesn't make it the standard for durability. PSP is durable enough.

When I pick up my DS I think "Wow, I'm in the mood for something different! I'm gonna play the touch screen minigames of Warioware!" or "I think I'll use my DS to chat during english at school!" (I do too, XD)

That sounds like a Nintendo robot is speaking through you. "Wow, I'm in the mood for something different!" Come on! That "something different" will get old quickly. With not many good uses for the touch screen and a lacklustre game library, you'll soon be "in the mood" for a real gaming system. Why buy a system that tries so hard to be innovative that it fails at the most traditional aspects of a gaming system: Good number of games, graphics, design, control? PSP gets every traditional aspect of a gaming system right, IMO, but it lacks a touch screen. That's the only thing that separates them really. If DS's touch screen was taken away, it would have NOTHING. So, is a touch screen better than mp3 playback, mp4 playback, photo viewing, near-PS2 graphics, high-capacity disc media, widescreen aspect ratio, high resolution, and large number of games? If you said "yes", then...I don't know.

If Nintendo's systems continue to focus SOLELY ON INNOVATION and as a result get the rest of the stuff wrong, then I really do think that they will "fall apart".

It's sounding like Revolution may be all about innovation too. Didn't Iwatu (or some big guy at NOA) say that "this generation will not be about hardware"? Is he joking? When the other two competitors are releasing living-room super computers, is just playing games gonna be enough? I don't think it will. If Rev doesn't kill, Nintendo will definitely fall apart soon.

DeathScape

Banned
    Years
    Maybe they're games aren't as good because they're spending a lot of time on Nintendo Revolution. They are releasing 8 Mario games very soon, so that's good.

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    cmatz0 said:
    The PS2 and XBOX didn't exactly destroy the GameCube in sales - the GameCube was a very close third. The GameCube was an extremely popular system, in which many people appreciated the innovation Nintendo put into it. Many people care about innovation as well as games, which is why Nintendo has stayed as one of the ?Big Three.? People appreciate Nintendo?s innovative style, and that is why the ?quirky titles? are very popular. Sony and Microsoft appeal to the gamer that wants games where you go around, mindlessly shooting things without innovative gameplay. Nintendo takes more time in their games, and makes them a lot more fun, even if they don?t appeal to all audiences.

Ha.. The PS2 isn't the undisputed console king worldwide for nothing; they have a HUGE archive of games at their disposal, and by no means is this unimaginative jetsam that's been thrown around the pool like a few of Ninty's stuff.

I'm not sure what hold you've stuck your head in for the last few years, but Sony definitely isn't making all mainstream nonsense for gamers. Care to tell me why the following titles could never have been made by Ninty?

Shadow Hearts - Because Nintendo wont take a chance on small companies. Sure, they took a chance with Retro Studios developing Metroid Prime, but that was a surprise to everybody, name other times that they've done anything remotely similar. They stick to tried-and-true formulas and games, you can't deny that fact.

Summoner - Because Nintendo wont take a chance on small companies. See above.

Final Fantasy X - Because Square had signed a dev contract with Sony that wouldnt let them release for other consoles. VERY STUPID move on Ninty's part ever since the SNES era. Square could have made staggering titles for the Cube had Ninty looked ahead, some people are saying the same thing with RARE.

Xenosaga - Because the FMVs would have slagged the GFX card. j/k, but another game that could have boosted GC sales.

SH(2): Covenants - Because Nintendo wont release games that deal with real issues and take the gaming audience seriously as mature adults. This game has real depth, real immersion, it's probably one of the best games I've ever played. There's unreal amounts of theme and plot in this title; ranks right up there with Earthbound (I even listed Earthboung because that is a Nintendo title that I still respect and love).

Sure it's got crap that you'd call "uninnovative", but more than likely it's cross-platform stuff that you sure can't label to the PS2 or Xbox solely. Many gamers actually only care about pretty ladies in games, really, you know this, people didn't buy Xbox's to ignore DOAX:BB :P Innovation isn't the main selling factor in the industry right now; pretty eyecandy and sex is. Read my rant here.

Nintendo hasn't innovated anything in years really, face it. They LIVE on ideas recycles from the mid 1990s. Backwards compatibility was made by Sony: play music, play DVD, FMVs were INVENTED by Sony, non controller interface (eg. Sony eyetoy and there are several voice activated PS2 games that use a headset such as Lifeline which is a Survival Horror), using CDs (Ninty went CARTRIDGES for the N64 remember), USB keyboard attachment (used in games like RPG Maker for entering text), multi system online worlds (FFXI could be played by both PS2 and PC on the same realms).

The last thing Nintendo 'innovated' was the insanely crappy joystick on the 64 control pad, and then Sony one-up'ed them with dual analog PADS that your freaking thumb doesnt fall off of. Need I continue? Oh yes, stand-on-its-side consoles that dont take up half the floor: also courtesy of Sony.

The gyroscopic controller that's supposed to make the N5 Revolutionary has been out for computer controllers for YEARS already, nothing about the hardware is revolutionary, it's been disclosed officially that it's inferior to the other consoles... downloading games from the past is now revolutionary?! Wow... someone needs a reality check here.

The ideal was; a console is a better game machine than a cheap PC, because it's dedicated to playing games. So does anyone else get worried when Microsoft and Sony both boast about their machines' ability to rip MP3's and play movies and chat online and do your taxes? Doesn't every feature that gets added, by necessity, take designer's time and energy away from the features that make for great gaming? Don't most of you reading this already have the ability to play movies and MP3's and chat online without your future Xbox 360? Wouldn't you prefer your game machine devote all of its muscle to gaming and nothing else?

Nintendo has stuck the most reliably to the "games first" mentality, and look where it's gotten them. When the PS1 could play audio CD's, the N64 couldn't. When the PS2 could play DVD's, the GameCube couldn't. The result...

Uh, yeah.

It's no surprise, then, when Sony President Ken Kutaragi says "The PS3 is not a game machine." Thanks for the honesty, Ken! At least you give us the straight harsh truth.

Also, I just want to add a final note, since a lot of people are making a big deal out of the DS, the newest Dragon Warrior title for PS2 beat the DS, internationally, in both preorders and 1st day sales. An overused franchise with no sales outside Japan beat the DS. Sad. Really.

~DS

edit: The original Playstation (not including the PS2) just hit its 100 millionth sale last month. What's that now... 8, 9 years after it was released, and its still selling. I wonder why. Games make or break a console, not the hardware specs.

Last edited:

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
    Dilos Ekans said:
    The Ps2 introduced the eyetoy which is fun on so many levels. PS2 and Xbox introduced online gaming in the home living room on the console for the first time. The PS3 is taking online to a new level with letting you browse websites just from the ps2. (browse PC!) The x360's hardrive capabilites let you use it as a Tivo, which was originally on the PSX but this is the first time in the us. Sony and Microsoft are doing a lot of things iinnovative. They don't get as much credit.

Other than further pushing the rather stupid idea of downloading new games as opposed to buying them in the shops, internet browsing offers nothing in terms of improved gameplay.

In fact, that can go for online gaming in general. It didn't take a genius to work out that consoles would go online someday. Who, on the other hand, envisioned shoulder buttons and full analog control many moons ago? Nintendo and roughly 5 other people, I'd imagine. Coaxing console gamers to play online isn't innovation, it's called giving the people what they want.

I'm not about to get into an argument over who's given more to the games industry over the past few years, and to be honest I'm more than just a tad skeptical over what ideas Nintendo's cooked-up for the Revolution, but describing the ability to take consoles online as a masterstroke that moved the playing experience forward just doesn't rank alongside the useful functions Nintendo have brought to the table over the years.

Casual Billy

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    Coaxing console gamers to play online isn't innovation, it's called giving the people what they want.

Even if putting consoles online was not "innovative" but merely "giving the people what they want", shouldn't that be the first priority of a business that wants to stay in the running anyway? I think Nintendo is falling apart because they don't focus on giving people what they want, they focus on "new ways to play" that no one ever really asked for and then they just cross their fingers and hope that people buy into their innovation (quirkyness, oddities). I think that's been the problem. When GC came out, the precedent had already been set for a system to do more than just play games and it was obvious that the people wanted it. What'd Nintendo do though? They released their own proprietary disc format and a system that couldn't play CDs or DVDs. Good one. When PSOne had CDs that developers found easy to...develop on and held more data, Nintendo released its system with cartridges that were more expensive to develop games for. Where are their priorities?

EDIT: Someone from this thread just gave me a bad reputation point and did so anonomously. Who was it? And what do those points do anyways?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back