• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Noctowl or Pidgeot?

Noctowl or Pidgeot?

• Noctowl

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 35 81.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dark Banette

♫♫♫♪♪
Years
  • I would say Noctowl. It has a nice move pool and in D/P I love that it can learn Hypnosis and Dream Eater. But Pidgeot is good too with its speed and other good moves. Hard to decide. But it's a preference whether you like one or another. I wouldn't say one is better than another. :\

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    Apparently I already voted but I don't remember now.

If I'm voting with my heart, I would choose Pidgeot ^^ Was the second pokemon I got to level 100 and me were attached to it.

With my head, I'd pick Noctowl, plus I quite like the design of Noctowl too (<3 the shiny form as well, and me love shinies).

Technically, pidgeot is better because it is a 3rd evolution, so i vote pidgeot.

Because its a 3rd evolution? XPP hehe

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    First off, damage isn't everything at all. EV's did exist, as did IV's. IV's tell of the certain Hidden Power. If I am wrong on the EV's, my bad, but IV's did.

Whirlwind can force switches, thereby getting rid of stat uppers, like Curse. Plus, it can add up damage with Spikes. Whirlwind is a strategic move. Blindly doing damage works ingame, not against smart opponents.

As for Fly, it sucks, in all versions. 90 power per over two turns? You can use Hidden Power Flying twice & call it a day. While you're up in the air, I can EASILY switch to a counter, and make that little hide-in-the-sky tactic turn against you. For instance, swapping to a Golem.

IVs and DVs existed yes but effort values didn't back then. I use Fly as in game move for my Gold/Silver/Crystal versions. Noctowl is very versatile and I understand your moveset but that moveset is better for the newer games. Plus I don't understand the whole IVs DVs thing so I can't use Hidden Power. Thing is Noctwol doesn't learn Whirlwind in GSC unless you breed it but why do that? When I am trying to get to the elite four. I'll change Fly once I play against friends but in the game it's needed.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • That's the thing that tears you're whole arguement apart-in game. ANYTHING wins in game. Anything. There's no real skill in beating the stupid computer opponents. I'm talking against real smart players. You could beat the league with a team of 5 Magikarps & a Weedle at lvl 100, does that really prove anything?

The fact that you discredit breeding proves you are not a real "competitive" battler, who plays against actual opponents, rather easy computer aimmed at 5 year olds. Not that it's bad, you know, not everyone has to play a cetain way, but I am talking about a REAL moveset, not a throwtogether.

As I said, a team of Magikarps blindly leveled to 100 can beat the leauge. Oh, & a Weedle, so you can beat ghosts. In newer games, that moveset REALLY won't work, Taunt, easy to knock you out, etc. But even here, it only works ingame, where anything works. You aren't really proving much with a team meant for ingame. And the fact that a Pidgey can use Fly makes that point moot, as well. If you give a moveset, it should be good against real, thinking, breathing opponents, not computers, where you can just use items to win.

And a moveset is a moveset, whether or not you get it by breeding or by TM doesn't matter. Then again, if you not an, um, "serious" battler, I suppose it does.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    That's the thing that tears you're whole arguement apart-in game. ANYTHING wins in game. Anything. There's no real skill in beating the stupid computer opponents. I'm talking against real smart players. You could beat the league with a team of 5 Magikarps & a Weedle at lvl 100, does that really prove anything?

The fact that you discredit breeding proves you are not a real "competitive" battler, who plays against actual opponents, rather easy computer aimmed at 5 year olds. Not that it's bad, you know, not everyone has to play a cetain way, but I am talking about a REAL moveset, not a throwtogether.

As I said, a team of Magikarps blindly leveled to 100 can beat the leauge. Oh, & a Weedle, so you can beat ghosts. In newer games, that moveset REALLY won't work, Taunt, easy to knock you out, etc. But even here, it only works ingame, where anything works. You aren't really proving much with a team meant for ingame. And the fact that a Pidgey can use Fly makes that point moot, as well. If you give a moveset, it should be good against real, thinking, breathing opponents, not computers, where you can just use items to win.

And a moveset is a moveset, whether or not you get it by breeding or by TM doesn't matter. Then again, if you not an, um, "serious" battler, I suppose it does.

First of all if I wasn't a competitive battler then why would I read Smogon or Psypokes or Serebii. net trying to gain more knowledge on Pokemon. I love pokemon games and have for a very long time and for you to judge me isn't cool.

When I said I didn't want to breed was because I worked on Noctowl leveling up and it would be too extraneous to level up a baby Hoothoot all the way to 45-50. I never said breeding was bad so you can't go around judging me like that. I am learning about this 3rd and 4th generation stuff so cut me some slack dang! There isn't much competitiveness in 2nd generation games to begin with since these games are obviously much older. So yeah you really shouldn't label people it's not cool unless you find it so otherwise that's a problem

And just because you dont like my moveset doesn't mean it's throw together, I restarted on my gold version and i am trying to put together a great team. I changed Noctowl's moveset to this: Hypnosis, Nightmare/Dream Eater, Reflect, Fly/Whirlwind/Wing Attack

Neo_Pikachu

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2010
    I agree that Pidgeot is much stronger, but I really like Ash's Noctowl in the Anime. Pidgeotto was awesome, but stupid Ash released it when it evolved. *sniffle*

I'd say Noctowl, but Pidgeotto is my fav of all. :)

Hm... I truthfully didn't vote for neither yet. However, MissMegano, you must realize that Ash had good reasons to release the Pokemon he did. If you want to know those reasons, fell free to pm me. (Don't want to spam this up with things other than the topic).

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • First of all if I wasn't a competitive battler then why would I read Smogon or Psypokes or Serebii. net trying to gain more knowledge on Pokemon. I love pokemon games and have for a very long time and for you to judge me isn't cool.

When I said I didn't want to breed was because I worked on Noctowl leveling up and it would be too extraneous to level up a baby Hoothoot all the way to 45-50. I never said breeding was bad so you can't go around judging me like that. I am learning about this 3rd and 4th generation stuff so cut me some slack dang! There isn't much competitiveness in 2nd generation games to begin with since these games are obviously much older. So yeah you really shouldn't label people it's not cool unless you find it so otherwise that's a problem
    Then ANY moveset works. That isn't a really effective one, as EVERYTHING is effective. And as you said

Thing is Noctwol doesn't learn Whirlwind in GSC unless you breed it but why do that?

really makes it seem like you discredit breeding.

And just because you dont like my moveset doesn't mean it's throw together, I restarted on my gold version and i am trying to put together a great team. I changed Noctowl's moveset to this: Hypnosis, Nightmare/Dream Eater, Reflect, Fly/Whirlwind/Wing Attack

Calm down, no one is judging you, but what you are saying certainly proves that, and I am merely stating fact. Looking at Smogon isn't much proof, as you keep mentioning ingame as if that means something. This isn't about whether or not YOU are able to breed, if you give a moveset, make sure it fits everyone. Your moveset is simply ineffecient, and it may hurt others trying to play their friends, who I am trying to help, as anythignworks ingame.

That new moveset is very good. Ingame. Outside, any opponent would switch as soon as you put them to sleep. I am not getting on you, stop making it seem that way, I don't even care enough. However, I'm trying to help others who may want to try playing competitevly. I'm not trying to beat you down, but if you get defensive at every real reason I give, oh well.

There are many reasons why people would choose Nocty over Pigeot, & vice versa. Some goes by the anime. Some goes by the performance ingame. Some, like me, goes by competitive perfomance. Also by which just looks better. Many reasons. I just plain like owls better. If you are really trying to be a competitive battler, stop arguing & giving such shabby reasons, like in game, when someone disproves your set. Unless you say "this is an ingame set", things like this will happen.

Last edited:

Lu

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2008
    pidgeot :)

because it's the last of pidgey and pidgeotto

noctowl's also good ,but I fancy pidgeot more...

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2022
    I'm sure someone else has come up with this before, but I have a great moveset for Noctowl. It utilizes its high defensive capability in case the initial move misses but also has sweep potential.

Hypnosis
    Nightmare
    Dream Eater
    Fly

If you come out of the gate with Hypnosis, rely on defense until it hits, then use Nightmare followed by Dream Eater you have unlimited potential for a drawn out battle. If the opponent is awake when it is time for a finisher, use Fly. It takes longer to hit, but the map mobility of having a flyer on your main team and the increased power from Noctowl's by-level Fly type moves makes it worth it.

Back