• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Noctowl or Pidgeot?

Noctowl or Pidgeot?

• Noctowl

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 35 81.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

o.necromancer.o

(Insert Something Random)
Years
    • Age 31
    • ?
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    Depends on what your looking for. If you want defense-Noctowl - If you want attack-Pigeot

herojelly

PMD Puzzle!
    Years
  • I like Pidgeot with the mega attack power and decent flying type moves.

In my Crystal version I was trying to get my Hoothoot to evolve by traning it. All I could do was Tackle for most of the trip up Sprout Tower. Then It learned Peck! But, the attack power is the same and the only difference is that peck has 100 accuracy and is a flying type move! After a million years, it learned Hypnosis! 'Hoothoot's attack missed!' 'HYPNOSIS did not affect the foe's "enter name here" ' What a hoot. No pun intended.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • It depends. Pidgeot has A LOT more STAB moves, but Noctowl has a more diverse move pool by a long shot. I just depends on what you like.

For me, it's Pidgeot

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I say that I use Pidgeot for speed reasons, but it's really because it looks cooler. Also, I first became acquainted with Pokemon through the RBY games, so there's probably a nostalgia factor there, too.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Being a third evolution means crap. Heracross is a great sweeper, and it doesn't evolve.

Now, Personally, I like Noctowl better. But battlewise, that dedpends. They serve two totally different roles. Noctrowl is more support, Pigeot is more offense. In the Metal versions, I'm not sure, but in D/P, Noctowl is more useful.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    Idk it's really hard for me because I love flying types and both seem great. Noctowl excels in HP, SP.DEF, and SPD so I am leaning towards him. I liked Ash's Noctowl it was soo cool. Movesets for both:

Noctowl:
    -Fly
    -Hypnosis
    -Confusion
    -Reflect

Pidgeot:
    -Fly
    -Wing Attack
    -??
    -??

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I say it depends on what you need, or what kind of battler you are.

Noctowl is more on the defensive side. I have fun trying to hurry and get them out of the way on DP.

Pidgeot is speedy and has good offense and is pretty. :D

So, I really can't choose between the two. I heart them both. <3

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I say it depends on what you need, or what kind of battler you are.

Noctowl is more on the defensive side. I have fun trying to hurry and get them out of the way on DP.

Pidgeot is speedy and has good offense and is pretty. :D

So, I really can't choose between the two. I heart them both. <3

agreed, it entirley depends on your tactics. both pokemon are cool, though i do prefer the earlier evolutions of both for how they look. pigeotto and hoothoot. battlewise, obviously the later evolutions would be chosen. id personally go for pigeot. but i think i might try out noctowl now that you mention it :)

sims796

Years
  • Idk it's really hard for me because I love flying types and both seem great. Noctowl excels in HP, SP.DEF, and SPD so I am leaning towards him. I liked Ash's Noctowl it was soo cool. Movesets for both:

Noctowl:
    -Fly
    -Hypnosis
    -Confusion
    -Reflect

Pidgeot:
    -Fly
    -Wing Attack
    -??
    -??

Horrible movesets.

Noctowl@Leftovers
    Nature:Calm
    Hypnosis
    Reflect/Night Shade
    Roost
    Whirlwind

I'll get to Pidgeot later.

Fly is an awful move in general, Wing Attack is no good...at least, not in D/P. I'm not sure about Crystal.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    Horrible movesets.

Noctowl@Leftovers
    Nature:Calm
    Hypnosis
    Reflect/Night Shade
    Roost
    Whirlwind

I'll get to Pidgeot later.

Fly is an awful move in general, Wing Attack is no good...at least, not in D/P. I'm not sure about Crystal.

Ok first off I rarely use Pidgeot which is why I couldn't come up with a moveset. Did you forget this IS NOT Diamond/Pearl? EVs and Natures don't come to play in the Gold/Silver times. Gold/Silver are much older games but I like them better because D/P is waaay too complicated. So come up with a moveset that exists in Gold/Silver/Crystal. I suggested this:

Noctowl: Fly, Hypnosis, Confusion, and Reflect

reflect because he lacks def, hypnosis to put opponents to sleep. Fly and Confusion would be his attacks what's wrong with that? There isn't a whole lot of options unless I tried hypnosis/dream eater combo or use nightmare. Other than that there isn't a whole lot plus I looked up moves on smogon.com

sims796

Years
  • Ok first off I rarely use Pidgeot which is why I couldn't come up with a moveset. Did you forget this IS NOT Diamond/Pearl? EVs and Natures don't come to play in the Gold/Silver times. Gold/Silver are much older games but I like them better because D/P is waaay too complicated. So come up with a moveset that exists in Gold/Silver/Crystal. I suggested this:

Noctowl: Fly, Hypnosis, Confusion, and Reflect

reflect because he lacks def, hypnosis to put opponents to sleep. Fly and Confusion would be his attacks what's wrong with that? There isn't a whole lot of options unless I tried hypnosis/dream eater combo or use nightmare. Other than that there isn't a whole lot plus I looked up moves on smogon.com

Yes, EV's did exist back then. Here's a Noctowl moveset:

Noctowl@Leftovers
    Hypnosis
    Reflect
    Whirlwind
    Hidden Power [ICE, FIRE, ELECTRIC]/Faint Attack/Toxic

Even in Crystal, she has better options than Fly :\ Play to her strengths as an annoyer/defender.

I'll do Pigeot later.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    Yes, EV's did exist back then. Here's a Noctowl moveset:

Noctowl@Leftovers
    Hypnosis
    Reflect
    Whirlwind
    Hidden Power [ICE, FIRE, ELECTRIC]/Faint Attack/Toxic

Even in Crystal, she has better options than Fly :\ Play to her strengths as an annoyer/defender.

I'll do Pigeot later.

No Effort Values were introduced to us in the 3rd gen games Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I never understood hidden power like how do I know if it's going to be a certain type? Noctowl doesn't learn faint attack unless you mean a TM. You sure that moveset is the best to go with? I love Hypnosis and Reflect those are musts but Whirlwind? It doesn't do much does it? I mean it doesn't do any damage. I still don't see what's wrong with using Fly it's a STAB move and I believe it does 85-90 damage power

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Pidgeot is a lot better because it has better stats and abilities. Don't forget it learns better moves like Sky Attack.

Tsurai

Pokemon under the moonlight
    Years
  • It's a hard decision. If you want to go by the majority favorite, i'd say Pidgeot is the choice to make. If you go by movesets, and battle ability, it needs some thought. Pidgeot has impressive speed, and it can learn an okay set of moves. Noctowl has the psychic thing going for it, and it can prove to be useful, but it leaves it open to more weaknesses, and could be potentially weaker (or indeed a bit stronger) than pidgeot. I'd rather not make a whole post full of statistics and numbers, so i'll just say i'd choose Pidgeot ^^;; overall.

sims796

Years
  • No Effort Values were introduced to us in the 3rd gen games Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I never understood hidden power like how do I know if it's going to be a certain type? Noctowl doesn't learn faint attack unless you mean a TM. You sure that moveset is the best to go with? I love Hypnosis and Reflect those are musts but Whirlwind? It doesn't do much does it? I mean it doesn't do any damage. I still don't see what's wrong with using Fly it's a STAB move and I believe it does 85-90 damage power

First off, damage isn't everything at all. EV's did exist, as did IV's. IV's tell of the certain Hidden Power. If I am wrong on the EV's, my bad, but IV's did.

Whirlwind can force switches, thereby getting rid of stat uppers, like Curse. Plus, it can add up damage with Spikes. Whirlwind is a strategic move. Blindly doing damage works ingame, not against smart opponents.

As for Fly, it sucks, in all versions. 90 power per over two turns? You can use Hidden Power Flying twice & call it a day. While you're up in the air, I can EASILY switch to a counter, and make that little hide-in-the-sky tactic turn against you. For instance, swapping to a Golem.

Back