• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Not until you're 18!

Years
  • Drinking I think's fair, but for smoking it's a real pain in the ass.

There's two places that I know will always serve me, but anywhere else and it's about 50-50 chance.

You can't tell if a shop's going to serve you even if you've been served there before either, like today in-fact when I got some tobacco from Tesco once and then went back later for some kings only to be turned down. :/

That is lame.
    Surely that is a sign not to smoke :P
    I joke! XD
    But I guess you don't have any ID then :/

Here is a tip, don't shave! XD
    Sounds stupid but it works. :D

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Not until you're 18!

Still not a guarantee. xD;

Ayselipera

The only restriction that ever got me mad was the movie one. It was just annoying when my friends and I would want to get into a rated R movie, but we were too young.

The thing that got me the most annoyed was when I went to the movies with my cousin. At the time she was 17 and idk I was just younger then her and we went to see a rater R movie. Anyways she went to buy me a ticket and the lady said she couldn't because you have to be so many years older to buy a ticket for someone who is younger.

Ehh... I'm not much of drinker or smoker as you can see. :)

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    It's a piss take right? xD

Still, just one more year of this crap. D:

Patchy

-
    Years
  • You can drive here at 16 or so I think with a provisional license or something, but introducing both alcohol and the freedom to drive AND smoking all at once is ridiculous in my opinion. 21 is a bit high, maybe 16 for driving and 18 for alcohol.

Though, I'm 14, and I've had vodka. >_>

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Smoking laws in America need to be more strict. ( mainly because I hate the smell of it when I go on the bus) You have to be 18 to buy, but 16 to smoke. O.o That promps kids to buy sigs from fellow class mates or to take it from there parents.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • I fail to see why the drinking age is 21, it may as well be 16 because most people (my area anyway) are drinking by then anyway. Not that it matters because I don't drink, buying M rated games and R rated movies, waiting till 17 is just ridiculous, 15 would be good.

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • I do find it odd that I as a soldier can die for my country but not drink for my self. I don't even drink, never have, and probably never will. But regardless of my opinion of the consumption of alcohol, as long as it's constitutional and legal in my state then I'm fine with the age limit.

Here's a thought- should there be a universal age limit for all things like this? Where I am it's 21 to drink, 19 to buy smokes, 18 to vote (obviously), 17 to enlist, 16 to drive, 14 to work, and 13 to have sex. Seems to me it'd be more consistent if there was an age where you're an adult and responsible for acting like one. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hell, if you ain't chasin' the booze by the time you're walkin', you gots problems. But that's only in Alabama...as far as I know.

Anyway, I don't see the point. People do it anyway, so I forget it's there. The only thing I remember is that 18 year olds dating youngins. Eh. Whatever. Once again, PEOPLE DO IT ANYWAY. It's non-existent in my mind.

Years
  • I live in britain and argh, I swear I hate the fact you have to be 18 to smoke and drink. I only just turned 18 and I've been drinking and smoking since I was 13, personally I found it really annoying to wait.

I know this being a pokémon forum and all, people are likely to disagree but, I'm not your average geek. I take pride in my social life and going out and getting pissed!

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • The 21 age restriction is silly. You're considered a legal adult when you're 18, but you can't buy adult products? Not that I ever drink though, I just think the whole restriction is kind of ridonk.

Years
  • In Australia, you receive the right to purchase alcohol and cigarettes at eighteen, and in the state of Victoria you also obtain your P plates (in other words, you're able to drive by yourself, like without a supervising driver). This is pretty much a stupid way of looking at things. You get the ability to drive and drink at the exact same time. Meanwhile, look at another state, say South Australia or something, and you can drive by yourself at sixteen and a half (I'm pretty sure). Alcohol I really don't care what they bring the legal age to, and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either. Kids will get their hands on alcohol even if the legal age is 45. I first had an alcoholic drink when I was fourteen, I think? I don't drink more than about one or two drinks wherever I go because I'm not the type of person who gets drunk to be cool, but I know heaps of other people who do drink a lot just to be drunk. Anyway, the point is, the government can't control when people start drinking so raising the age limit to 21 isn't going to do anything to reduce the road toll, though it could reduce business in bars if that's what their aim is. Smoking I couldn't care less about, I think it should be illegal at all ages.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    18 should be the only restriction. I mean, it is stupid to consider you to be an adult for this, but not for this. 18 is the supposed adult age, but in America, it is really 21. That is when you can do most things that are exciting. I remember reading in a newspaper a bout a possible law about drinking. So many underage people do it, so why not just let them do it legally? With a trustable adult of course. The restrictions are crap, and everyone will always get around them one way or another. It isn't really hard. You hand somone $10 and ask them to buy you a $7 dollar pack of cigs, and say they can keep the change, then they'll be in and out of that gas station quicker than you can blink. Well, in my town any way. Honestly though, the restrictions are doing next to nothing, since I know eight year old people are smoking(weed and cigs) so yeah.

benthekid

Know one knows you like you do
    Years
  • in england theres a-lot restrictions.like if you killed a man,u onley get months in jail - where as do a robbery and get 4 years!its true,and stupid

Bay

Years
  • I do find it odd that I as a soldier can die for my country but not drink for my self. I don't even drink, never have, and probably never will. But regardless of my opinion of the consumption of alcohol, as long as it's constitutional and legal in my state then I'm fine with the age limit.

Here's a thought- should there be a universal age limit for all things like this? Where I am it's 21 to drink, 19 to buy smokes, 18 to vote (obviously), 17 to enlist, 16 to drive, 14 to work, and 13 to have sex. Seems to me it'd be more consistent if there was an age where you're an adult and responsible for acting like one. XD
    I think so. Most of the stuff like driving, sex and work the age limit should be upped because I feel those things young people are not mature yet to handle those things. I don't care too much about the drinking law, but I know the younger people can't handle their drinks well still, and this coming from someone who have friends that likes to get drunk time to time. >.>

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The age restrictions for driving various vehicles make perfect sense to me — like I understand they raised the age for motorcycles above 125cc (or something) to 18 because too many youngins were going out and crashing.

Age of sexual consent though... I'm all for there not being an age, but if society wants one, i say 15. It's currently 16 here so I don't really have any complaints.
    I would go on from here about the modelling age(s) and thereforth children appearing in such works but the ethics and effects of which are not a debate for here.

Now then, consumption of tabacco and alcohol: both 18 now but the former was 16 until fairly recently. I think they all ought to be 16 since people openly drink and smoke from about then anyway, but it's not really the age that bothers me — it's the public smoking ban...

In all I feel my country has gotten the ages about right, as per its culture, although I've heard the drinking age will be upped to 21 sometime and that is truly troubling.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
  • Meh, I remember when I used to dislike age restrictions, only because of the movies I wanted to see with my friends. I don't like smoking nor drinking, so that doesn't bother me.

I'm glad Mexico's age restriction is 18; 'cause now I am of said age. Yay me! Although it really didn't make a difference this year from last year.

Back