• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • Not sure about that, How about stuff like Natsume and Mushishi? Even YKK is in a totally fantastical world, the main character is a robot.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I'm not explaining it well, probably because I haven't got a rigid set of guidelines in my own head.

For me it is how the drama is handled. Series like Clannad and Shigatsu are almost theatrical when it comes to that whereas YKK and Tamayura are far more subtle. If dramatics becomes the focus then it is probably straying away from what a SOL is.

You just have to think that the series that pegged the term were those 4koma adaptation type things.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • To me, SoL genre is more to the light-hearted side than to the serious side. Although, looking back to my tags at MAL, I tag the school life settings with some drama to it SoL as well. I need a new tag for those kinds of shows.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I personally don't put either mushishi or natsume under SoL tbh. Episodic supernatural stuff, sure.

My manner of categorization of drama and slice of life separate is pretty similar to how laptrap would categorize it as I guess.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • While I do agree that calling Clannad SoL is not probably the most correct thing one could one, I'm not really against calling Shigatsu SoL...

Just making random On topic post to celebrate the most important day of the year, HanaKana birthday =D

Last edited:

Candy

Years
  • Shigatsu's more to the drama than Clannad. Clannad still has a few filler episodes that works for the SoL genre, while in Shigatsu you don't really see those kinds of episodes.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Shigatsu's probably the first series (that's not a sports anime) that's hit me this hard before in a while. Maybe because I can relate to it, but ugh help me I'm going soft.

That first op tho <3

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I relate to it due to the fact that I was a really pretentious 14 year old.

Thankfully none of my waifus have died and my mother was pretty cool.
    Made me chuckle. +1

It has been an entertaining ride so far but I can't say I am currently as attached to the series as I was initially. I don't really seem to get as affected by it as others do. I dunno. :b

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • So apparently there will be some s3 Symphogear news in a couple of weeks. Meaning the new season will probably air in Summer. AOTY confirmed.

NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Candy

Years
  • A&M needs a new mod haha. The Bishie Claim thread hasn't been maintained since July last year as well.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • [HorribleSubs] Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin - 01 [720p].mkv

Waiting for video quality here but yeah, this is out. I didn't know it was starting today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back