• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Nuzlocke Web Game

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2020
    Hello everybody,
    First of all, I want to apologize for any mispelling or syntax error that you will find in this topic (I am not anglophone).

I am a young developper and in my spare time, I like to work on web projects.
    I am currently working on a Pokemon Nuzlocke Web game. It will not be an MMO but it will have (one day maybe) online function such as Friend List, Achievements, Exchange between players, High Score ranking, etc...

As of now, the game is still in early alpha (there is a good base but it's still not really playable).

I. Developping

This game is a web based game (in the browser) but with a server component (to hopefully prevent cheating).

I.1 Client-side

• HTML/CSS (necessary part of any web page)
    • Javascript : Easeljs (Javascript library made to develop games), JQuery (Javascript library that simplify handling of HTML components)
    I.2 Server-side
    On the server side, I am using Nodejs (a Javascript framework) which ensure constant connection with any client (to prevent cheating and saving progress).
    II. Features

II.1 Long term features :

- As I said before, this will be a Nuzlocke game.
    The basic rules of Nuzlocke games will be applied (pokemon death, capture of only the first encountered pokemon of each zone, black out equals game over...)There are a lot of optionnal rules for this nuzlocke mode, and I haven't chosen which one will be featured in my game(s).

- For the moment, the region will be Kanto (pokemon Fire red style), and I plan to include Johto and Hoenn.
    I made a map editor, so original regions may appear in the future (made by me, or other people with my supervision).
    In the Kanto region the game will follow Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green plot.
    I wanted to make "exactly" the same game but with Nuzlocke rules.

- I plan to make a "game portal" where the player will be given the possibilty of choosing in which region he wants to play and play this game in Nuzlocke mode.
    For each region, his progress will be saved, and he will be able to continue his adventure until he dies

- A players profile will show his progress on each game, with his pokemons, etc. His friends will be able to see his profiles and he will be able to see theirs...
    It will possible at one point (maybe after the E4 is beaten, to limit abuses) to exchange pokemon with friends.

Many more features will appear, I am not limited by software (as I have written everything myself in javascript).

II.2 Current features :

For the moment, the game is far from being finished.

I have a good base :

• A map editor
    • Collision management
    • Buildings entering (when their map is created)
    • Wild pokemon fighting

But I still have a lot of work to do :

• Items management
    • Trainer fighting
    • Kanto region mapping (not difficult, but very time consuming)
    • Pokemon attack coding (difficult for the attack with special effect, like gravity, weather attack etc...)
    • Abilities coding (very difficult, with a lot of variation in the effects, etc...)
    • Put the attack sprites in the game
    • A lot of other things (Box managements, TMs/HMs, PNJs, etc)
    • Some bugs to fix...

A few screenshots :
    Map Editor :

View attachment 72248

The game :

View attachment 72249

View attachment 72250

View attachment 72251

For those who are interested in this game, I have a "working" alpha version on rhcloud (free hosting for nodejs projects) that I can share with you, just send me a pm.

Credits :

For the map, I used a set of tiles by Mortenkein (in 32x32 px).
    For the menus, fight, etc, I used a lot of different sprites by :
    Professor Valley
    redblueyellow
    pikachumazzinga
    Space Guard
    soulcaliburfan
    KurainoOni
    craigwm

For the pokemon sprites, I used GEN VI sprites found on pkparaiso.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    Hey there,

I had the same idea, and started building my own game engine for it.

I am not half as good as you (I never heard of Easeljs and NodeJs) but I would be happy, if I can help you out where ever I can.

PS: pls excuse my bad english. I am 15 and german...

[edit]
    official engine Website: https://glurakgamingengine.wordpress.com
    Visit for Progress updates, Polls, DEMOS and other struff or to SUPPORT me.

Last edited:
    Back