• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Officers not charged in Tamir Rice shooting

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/us/tamir-rice-investigation-justice-department.html

I had forgotten which one this was exactly until recently since there's been so many over the years, but basically what happened was that back in 2014, a pair of police officers responded to a scene or something and shot a 12 year old boy to death. He had what was described as either a toy gun or a pellet gun on him when it happened. Fast forward to now, 6 years later, and the Department of Justice has chosen not to bring federal charges against either officer.

(click esc shortly after the page opens in a new tab to tell the NY Times' paywall thing to go fuck itself)

User19sq

This is incredibly unfortunate. Putting aside the child's ethnicity, there are two sides to this story that can't be ignored.

As a police officer, you have basically signed up for a job that puts your life on the line for others, and you get out of bed carrying this fact with you wherever you go, and even possibly after retirement. So when you see a firearm, or even an object that resembles one, your first instinct would likely be to incapacitate the one holding the object. After all, no person who thinks they're in the presence of a gun would calmly ask the person holding it to just set it down, especially in an incredibly public setting.

That being said, I think everyone would agree with me when I say that there's a clear-cut difference between a crazed gunman and a child holding a toy. There's little-to-no reason why two officers couldn't force the one preteen child to put down the toy, be it at gunpoint, physical force, or with a taser. The article clearly says that the boy was immediately shot upon arrival, and even at point-blank range; not only that, but the trial doesn't seem to have been willing to gather every last piece of evidence, witness testimony included, which puts a very jaded lens over the entire episode.

To be honest, the bad reasoning outweighs the good. The officers shouldn't have been let go completely free. This is a clear case of a failure to properly de-escalate a situation. There's very little left to say on the matter.

Years
  • Why don't we just announce that you can get away with killing black people. To put it bluntly, that's how it is and it's disgusting. I hate constantly seeing no justice done at all.
    Here, it's the same with our indigenous populations, the police and government won't lift a finger for them. Reservations have no water or electricity, police let white fishers assault Mi'kmaq ones for MONTHS and no justice was done.

Years
  • I remember reading about the killing of Tamir Rice when it happened, and being appalled by the reckless behavior of the police. They did so many things wrong that somebody needed to go jail for this, instead of doling out another monetary settlement.

In this situation the officer shot within 2 seconds of arriving. That was not a reasonable amount of time to open fire. Somebody might not see or hear you. He also shot twice for good measure. He didn't check the kid's vital signs or give him any first aid right after shooting him down. His partner Officer Garmback at least registered significantly more concern and was calling for medical help. However Tim Loehmann, the cop who actually pulled the trigger strikes me as callous.

Somebody like this should never have even been on the force. While the blood of Tamir is on Timothy Loehmann's hands, it's also on the hands of the Independence Police Department. Even taking into account that they didn't know Loehmann suffered a nervous breakdown before joining since he lied about his history on his application, he still was obviously unfit to do this work. This was someone who had no experience, hadn't been able to hold down any job for several years, and the couple of weeks of training they give you at police academy was not nearly enough to compensate for this. His supervisor warned that this man was unstable. The deputy chief of the police department Jim Polak said that Loehman could not follow simple directions or communicate clearly. Loehmann apparently shot wildly, was prone to crying spells and other unpredictable and incompetent behavior that in Polk's opinions could be dangerous. In his assessment of Lehmann he wrote, "I do not believe time, nor training, will be able to change or correct the deficiencies."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/...d-many-errors-by-police-then-a-fatal-one.html

Unfortunately, it was only a matter of months on the job before some innocent person indeed did die at his hands.

Now someone this trigger-happy may have shot anyone's child, but with that being said, I also wouldn't be surprised if race contributed to making Loehmann so de-sensitized to the person he was shooting. It's concerning to me that he identified Tamir as a grown man. I think that indicates that he wasn't really looking at this 12 year old, but rather was looking right through him. The 911 caller who informed the police that there was someone waving a gun in the area noted that it looked like it was a juvenile, but the police officer isn't able to recognize what the civilian could see.

This case is overall just a really tragic example of why our police system is so messed up, and in need in reform. I'm not necessarily in favor of defunding them because part of the reason the police are in the state they are in some instances is because of funding cuts. I think the New York Times article a couple of paragraphs up made some good points about how there used to be community programs to better familiarise officers with the areas they police so that they would not be as militarized. Entering the community can potentially be less tension-filled if it's a neighborhood you are a part of and know the people in, rather than a place you only enter from the perspective of an outsider in situations of conflict.

I don't think we need to go the other extreme and inflate the police budget like we do our military, I just would like to see better allocution of the funding say raising salaries to bring in better people with good communication skills, also offering more extensive training than a few classes, and developing new community policing programs. Above all though the police need to be policed themselves, and somebody like Timothy Loehmann not only should not have been hired, but after he was he should have faced severe repercussions so that there was no chance of him doing something like this again. That he came dangerously closed to getting hired by another police department after killing Tamir is a reminder of how much farther we have to go on the road to reform.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Absolutely disgusted by our police and the system as a whole.

White people do mass killings and the news tries to explain away their troubles and why they did it.

Meanwhile, a black man doesn't even DO ANYTHING and the police can do whatever they want to him, and the news explains why he's guilty.

Appalled by all of this.

I really was thinking our country was getting better, but the last few years have been progressively eye-opening to state otherwise.

Anvils Alive

Fun is infinite. Sega Enterprises.
    Years
  • As a white man, I am incapable of understanding how white people all go on these mass shooting sprees (Or police torturing black people for so much as even existing), let alone have it explained away on their behalf by the media or the law.

I'm also just as upset about minorities getting killed and said police barely ever doing anything to prevent it. This whole system must either change or disappear, no doubt about it. And believe it or not, most of us common folk are the only ones with the will (And maybe the ability) to do so.

Do better, America. In God's name, I beg you.

Back