• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OHMAGAWRRRRD [music genre] SUCKS NOW GO LISTEN TO REAL MUSIC

droomph

weeb
Years
  • Never mind the title

So the question I ask today is...

How easily do you adapt to new genres of music? Do you listen to everything and like all of them? Or do you STILL refuse to accept jazz as "a new type of music"?

Personally I have to say that I'm in the middle. It took me a couple months to acclimate to dubstep and all those beats, but now I looooooooove them and practically the only thing I listen to.

I'm still working on rap. Keep those songs coming Bassnectar

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
    Years
  • I absorb music genres like a plant absorbs water. I didn't know what dubstep was two weeks ago and now it's one of my favorite genres. Rap's okay because I only listen to the beat. The only genre that didn't really grow on me was country. It sounds too rustic for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If I like it, I like it. Doesn't matter what genre it is. I think every genre has its good, its bad, and its ugly. Some more ugly than others and some more good than others. But I don't think it's right to shut down a genre of music because it's overly popular or because you hate most of the artists in it. There's always something you'll love in the place you'd least expect it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't pay attention to genre as long as the song itself is something I like. With that said, I do have a very hard time adapting to any "modern" music for exactly that reason... I really don't care for how it sounds, and that now has spread across virtually all genres of music today... too much of music today has that harder sound which I really don't like.

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • If I like it, I like it. Doesn't matter what genre it is. I think every genre has its good, its bad, and its ugly. Some more ugly than others and some more good than others. But I don't think it's right to shut down a genre of music because it's overly popular or because you hate most of the artists in it. There's always something you'll love in the place you'd least expect it.

^This.

Unless it's 'new' rap/country/pop. :P

For some reason, a lot of that doesnt click with me. Like 'new' country sounds like weird pop, 'new' pop sounds uh....tired? and 'new' rap sounds nothing like how it used to, imo. Maybe I'm just being too curmudgeonly.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • It depends on the music... I can never tell if I will enjoy a genre until I actually listen to it.

But then again, I don't listen to music for lyrics, but for the music itself, so I usually sway away from more lyric-driven genres like rap or country. (Not to say I dislike everything from those genres)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • While I try and listen to as diverse a selection of music as I can, certain genres are cerainly harder for me to get invested in. Rap, for one, is a genre in which I often overlook despite promising talent emerging every couple of year. I just have too much of a bias against it, especially due to the awfulness of most British rappers, who inundate the radio whenever I have the misfortune to listen to it. Heavy metal is another: I'm sure there's lots of nuances in there; I just can't hear them over the OMFGTHAT'SSOLOUD-ness of the guitars.

On the other hand, I'm very forgiving of genres like jazz and blues music. Or, really, anything with a piano in it. Maybe it's because I play it; maybe it's just because I really like the piano... but I can like some pretty horrible stuff if it's accompanied by a piano.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I listen to all genres and bands. From Flobots, The Gazette, MachineHead, and ASP.

I guess the Pop Genre, Some forms of techno, All of Dupstep, and a lot of Death Metal doesn't appeal to me. I also don't like bands that seem to only make songs on stuff like "party'n" and "havin a good time". There boring.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ^This.

Unless it's 'new' rap/country/pop. :P

For some reason, a lot of that doesnt click with me. Like 'new' country sounds like weird pop, 'new' pop sounds uh....tired? and 'new' rap sounds nothing like how it used to, imo. Maybe I'm just being too curmudgeonly.

See, this bothers me. A lot of people are similar to you, and feel that they're open-minded while at the same time brushing off an entire genre of music - or in this case 3. Can you really call yourself musically open-minded if you just classified thousands of songs, most of which you haven't heard, into the "don't like" category just because of their genre? It's fine to have your own taste and say you don't like entire genres, but you can't quote someone in agreement with "I don't think it's right to shut down a genre of music because it's overly popular or because you hate most of the artists in it" at the same time. It's one or the other. 'New' rap/country/pop are genres as well.

As for me, I'd say I'm pretty average. I don't find music I'm really into much at all, honestly, and I can listen to most things without having any real feelings against it. I don't adapt a lot just because I don't try hard to keep up-to-date. When I'm at home with my mom I listen to the radio and pick up a few new songs. I listen to songs on Facebook and songs my friends send me, and then other than that I'll just listen to stuff I already know I like.

I have a weird personality quirk though that the more passionate the other person is about something, the less I really want to be. I really don't know why and it's really terrible, but I think it has something to do with over-exaggeration. When someone over-exaggerates my mind compensates with "it must be a lot worse than they say" because otherwise why would they need to exaggerate so much? So then I go into songs with that mindset and end up not enjoying them as much.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    'new' rap sounds nothing like how it used to, imo. Maybe I'm just being too curmudgeonly.

Try Grime. Not Skepta's stuff, listen to 96 ****ries by JME.
    Also grime has no lyrics so you'll probably like it more =)

Eh, I can sometimes. But rock's still my passion. Oh, and grime. I can't stray too far from my roots.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I vastly prefer folk to anything else, but I listen to all the genres - except for really heavy stuff; stuff where they're screaming and you can barely understand what they're saying. My taste in music definitely crosses the genres, and I adore it when an artist of a particular genre crosses genres in the music they make. I love alternative rock, I love electronic, I love pop, I love country, I love classical, and so on and so forth!!

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • See, this bothers me. A lot of people are similar to you, and feel that they're open-minded while at the same time brushing off an entire genre of music - or in this case 3. Can you really call yourself musically open-minded if you just classified thousands of songs, most of which you haven't heard, into the "don't like" category just because of their genre? It's fine to have your own taste and say you don't like entire genres, but you can't quote someone in agreement with "I don't think it's right to shut down a genre of music because it's overly popular or because you hate most of the artists in it" at the same time. It's one or the other. 'New' rap/country/pop are genres as well.

'Kay, so, first, I'm not shutting down entire genres of music. Please dont lump me in with 'others'.

But I cant justify saying I like something if I only like a small, nearly invisible fration of it. Can you honestly say you like a band if you can only listen to two songs? No. Same with what I said. I like Hank Williams III. That's not enough to say I like new country though.

I am open-minded. Show me good music and I'm into it.

Years
  • I like to listen to a little bit of everything although there are a lot of songs especially within the past couple of years or so that I can't stand. I'm not too into a lot of rap/hip-hop and RnB music.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    I try my best to atleast give every genre a chance. I'm into various types of metal and post hardcore stuff, but I have branched out considerably. I went from hating all rap to actually appreciating it a bit. Dubstep I'm still working on, since right now I dislike it immensely.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2012
    If I like the song I like no matter the genre. I like some songs from bands but not the band itself.

Back