• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Pikachu or new Pikachu?

• Old

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • New

Votes: 22 44.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    lol i like tubby pikachu, but really either way doesn't make much of a difference to me

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • The old Pikachu looked funny, and the new one looks cute. I think I've seen enough old Pikachu though, so the new one is probably better.

Runiel

I am male
    Years
  • Me Personally, I like The New One better, I think it just have better Design than the Old one (This is my Opinion), although, you can use the old Pikachu as a Pillow.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Pikachu's gotten taller over the past 20 years. Maybe in another 20 he'll become Pikaman.

I like the older Pikachu more. It's pudgier and more adorable and made a good pillow when I had a giant plushie of it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I prefer the original Pikachu in terms of representation. I do not really care about the Animation over the comic at all. The comics follow the original water colored artwork while the animation redesigned Pikachu for animation purpose.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • Old Pikachu or new Pikachu?

This one is my favorite, but the first one is of course classic. I used to have a figurine of the old one and I remember thinking how much fatter he was than in the show.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I really loved old Pikachu in the anime, and still collect his old style merch here and there. But even though the new version works better in some ways, I just don't care for it much. :/

Years
  • Yeah, it honestly is a hard choice. =( I really love some of the older Pikachu artwork like these:

Dated but extremely cute, though that might be more because of the coloring style rather than the Pikachu design itself? Regardless, the chubbyness adds to his character and it's unique in its own way.

Something about the current vectorized pikachus bothers me.

Agreed. I think it's the weird round head.. which is on its way to becoming a perfect circle with how round it is lol. I know the Dream World artwork tends to be simpler than, for example, Sugimori's official art, but Pikachu's head isn't a melon and needs more depth and definition.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Hey, the new pikachu looks so strange, with its head round as a soccer ball. The old one may be less powerful, but its much much cuter. So, i vote for the old one.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I'm proud of Pikachu for getting in shape and continuing to work out.

In all honesty, I'll always love the old designs because nostalgia, but honestly, the more modern designs are just more visually appealing to me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2019
    I like the old one; it's chubbier. To be honest, one of the main features of Pikachu is to be cute, not to be an anatomically correct rodent.

Years
  • Current Pikachu is usually more sleek and generally a bit better, and less tied to the trainers and so on, but early Pikachu was nonetheless more centrally portrayed in terms of themes like battles and so on. In that sense, 'newer Pikachu,' but they might do better if represented in some of the earlier forms or themes, rather than just hanging around and floating through the plot-line.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    By far, I prefer the old one, it is chubbier, cutter, and has a better art style (I loved when the pokemon anime had the drawing style of the first seasons, now it looks so... computermade :/ )

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2016
    I like chubby Pikachu a bit more, I know it makes a bit more sense for it to be thinner because it's running around a lot and such, but the original sprite and the ones in Yellow and Gen 2 were the right balance. After that it changed dramatically. It's one of the main reasons I find Raichu more adorable and cool, it's nubby arms and adorable pudgy body give it more character than how Pikachu is. Though I do like Pikachu going "Pika!" when sent into battle :p

Guest123_x1

Needless to say, I like the current "slimmer" Pikachu design. Makes it look more agile and true to its base Speed stat in the games.

Pretty Wing

きれいなハネ
    Years
  • Definitely the new version; the features are clearly defined, the proportion is stronger, the anatomy is less muddled, and the colors mesh better together. Plus, no-stubbed legs is a good thing.

Needless to say, I like the current "slimmer" Pikachu design. Makes it look more agile and true to its base Speed stat in the games.

New Pikachu for me! For the same reasons as above, pretty much. Aaand now I've split the vote at 50/50, haha.

Back