• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU Rain Team (#1)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Sup, Battle Center regs. Megan/Arilexa here. For most of today, and during my time at the battle server, I've been experimenting & battling with different Pokemon in the Overused Tier. Today I learned about weather teams, and decided to go for a Rain team. I just tested it out, and to me it kinda looks pretty decent, but at the same time I am just....uncertain about it. xD I want to be sure if I'm using any natures correctly, or if I'm using the wrong moves or if the movesets for a certain Pokemon sucks, or if I should limit my use of Leftovers...anything, really. Any advice/critique/rating is appreciated and will help me a ton. :D Thanks guys!

this is also my first ever RMT so...be gentle etc xD

OU Rain Team #1

(#1 because it's the first and might plan to make another)

OU Rain Team (#1)

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Rapid Spin

OU Rain Team (#1)

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

OU Rain Team (#1)

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Ice Beam
    - Hypnosis

OU Rain Team (#1)

Tornadus (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Naive Nature
    - Hurricane
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Rain Dance

OU Rain Team (#1)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock

OU Rain Team (#1)

Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Mild Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Thunder
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    In my opinion your team has great defensive synergy overall, but in terms of offense I think Chansey can stop most of your Pokemon. It takes heavy damage by Dragonite's Superpower, but if you lose Dragonite you may have a hard time against her. A Breloom, Toxicroak or Keldeo with Secret Sword can take her out easily, whilst also providing resistances to the important rain-boosted Water-type attacks. Both Starmie and Rotom-W have the same type coverage so I'd use Psyshock or Psychic over Ice Beam in Starmie's case, or use a bulky defensive set in Rotom-W's case.

Here's a set which you could use for Rotom-W if you wanted to. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical Water-type attackers such as Gyarados whereas Thunder Wave cripples fast Pokemon such as Jolteon.

~ Volt Switch
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Pain Split
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    EV spread: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD

Your team is pretty good as it is though, but hopefully my advice helps. Good luck in your battles!

Sirfetch’d

Hi Megan! rain teams are always fun so, I'll try to help a little here.

Your Starmie and Ferrothorn both look fine to me, so I won't address them, but I will offer some advice on the other ones.

You are running an offensive set on Politoad, and while he is capable of hitting opponents hard, with that EV spread a Specs set is more viable:

Politoed @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Focus Blast
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power [Electric]/[Grass]

Hydro Pump is extremely powerful when boosted in the rain and with Specs equipped, it can do damage to things that even resist it. Focus Blast hits T-Tar hard and can take down Ferrothorn before it has a chance to set up. Ice beam is for dragons, and you can either run HP Grass or Electric for other water types. I have personally found HP electric better because of Gyarados.

..or you can run a more defensive Politoed:

Politoed @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Protect/ Ice Beam
    - Toxic/ Hypnosis
    - Perish Song/ Encore

You don't need Tornadus especially with Rain Dance. Politoed will set up infinite rain and as long as you keep him from fainting early, you won't have to deal with this.

I'd replace him with a Physical Attacker as your team really lacks that. Go with Scizor as he works well in a rain team.

Scizor @ Choice band
    Trait: Technician
    Evs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn
    -Pursuit
    -SuperPower

This is a standard Scizor set that hits many threats hard due to it's excellent power and coverage. U-turn is the best scouting move available so Scizor can easily make us of it.

While your Dragonite certainly looks enticing to use on a rain team, there are much better sets available. Such as the standard DD set:

Dragonite @Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant/Jolly Nature
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Waterfall/ Extremespeed/ Roost

or

Dragonite @Choice Band
    Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake/ Superpower
    -Waterfall
    -Extremespeed

Rotom is a good option on rain teams as it gets a boosted STAB and can scout with Volt Switch. Your set, while viable, I would actually recommend a more bulky set to make use of Rotom's decent bulk:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 232 HP / 216 Spd / 60 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Ferrothorn's EV spread is better suited for the occasional Choice Band set. Focusing on its defenses is your main priority here; change the EV spread and nature to Relaxed with 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef. This way, Ferrothorn has an even easier time checking opposing Water Pokemon.

Dragonite really should be faster; the EV spread of 76 Atk/252 SAtk/180 Spe should be used. Really, what's the point of a Mild nature if you're investing so minimally in Special Attack? I also agree with Jellicentfan; you can consider physical Dragonite if you have a hard time with physical walls.

Back