• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Overworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    We've all seen the screenshots of the new 3Dified overworld. My question is would you agree that having simple 2D sprites is a little out of place?

city.png

market.png

harbor.png

lookout.png

I don't mind the sprites at the moment, I just don't think they look quite right when surrounded by 3D environments. I also think that the lack of diagonal movement could become more apparent in these games.

VirtualBlock

Youth's LoneWolf
    Years
  • For me I actually though Pearl & Diamond had enough 3D.. :/ It was on it's best in the 3th Gen for me.. When it had coulorful Grapichs and no 3D..

Personally all that 3D would spoil the true style...
    And the sprites look so different too.. ;( Aww...
    I just hope they scrap alot of that stuff..

nielsnijhof

Pokemon Master in training
    Years
  • Yeah same for me, I am neither a great fan of the new 3d style, but I am still hoping for Nintendo to surprise me in a positive way :D

Translucent

You just gestured to all of me
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    I like it. The cities are actually cities. The streets are larger, and you can actually physically see the people doing things. I like the 2D sprites sprites in the 3D world, it's bringing a bit of the old pokemon into the new. ^^

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I like the art style from what I've seen so far, but I think Gen 5 will be a transition for Game Freak. After this, there is no way they could give us sprites again for Gen 6, which I expect to be fully 3D like Colosseum/XD. They could have gone with Animal Crossing-esque characters, but they're trying to stay with their style so I'm fine with that.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • It doesn't bother me any. It's a unique art direction, and I'm looking forward to see if it works or not.

So far, the only complaint I've got is that all the people are still kinda short and pudgy. I know this worked in previous Pokemon games because of the overhead camera angle, but with the camera lowered, the sprites need to be abit taller with less "big head" in order to not look so out-of-place. =/

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • I see nothing wrong, I thnk they fit really well, In fact I'm loving this style, it's pretty unique for Pokemon and it works.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I think that the 3D aspect fits because when I looked at it, I couldn't see it being the 2D kind of graphics that the past Generation's were. So honestly I like the overworld sprites, and I think it's a great feature in this game.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I would have personally preferred maybe cel-shaded sprites on the overworld - the pixelated sprites look out of place with the smooth and crisp backgrounds.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I would rather them keep the 2D sprites than to move on to full 3D ones. Ugh if they had 3D sprites in the games, it will make me feel like Im playing a PSP game.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • We've all seen the screenshots of the new 3Dified overworld. My question is would you agree that having simple 2D sprites is a little out of place?

city.png

market.png

harbor.png

lookout.png

I don't mind the sprites at the moment, I just don't think they look quite right when surrounded by 3D environments. I also think that the lack of diagonal movement could become more apparent in these games.

Thats just the overworld in Hiun city. The overworld is just like in HG/SS in other areas.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • I completely agree with you, it's time for some new OW sprites, they just don' fit in anymore. They don't need to be 3d IMO, just a little taller, like in the Ranger games.

This has nothing to do with your post but....I literally thought your Avatar was a real bug and went to squish it with my tissue :|

Good work, good work!

also, I like the new 3D, its different, something we haven't seen with pokemon yet :D I am excite

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    We've all seen the screenshots of the new 3Dified overworld. My question is would you agree that having simple 2D sprites is a little out of place?

city.png

market.png

harbor.png

lookout.png

maybe a 3DS special feature?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back