• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

people says pokemon is a kids games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    what does that mean? Is Pokemon is only for kids and adult can't play it because they are too old? am i too old for pokemon? I'm 24 btw?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's an old statement that some people still bandy about to shit on others because it makes their insecure/toxic asses feel better--and shitting on others because of insecurity/toxicity is something humans have done since time immemorial.

It's a series that is, like the ESRB ratings says, is for "Everyone". Don't think about it too much. I'm a nearly 30 year old woman who started with Gen 1 and still plays Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen today
    Nobody can decide what you're old for except you. Pokémon is a video game series like any other, and a gamer won't be more "adult" for playing Call of Duty or Dark Souls than for playing Pokémon. A lot of adults still play and enjoy Pokémon games, maybe they don't play in exactly the same ways they did as kids, but the games still can be played.

The franchise works because it's not just for kids, it's "for everyone", and one of the key aspects of Pokémon games is experience management, the gameplay formula is very flexible and customizable, and different players can play and enjoy the games in very different ways.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    I don't think its just for kids anyone can enjoy any game I am 31 and I still love the games

Years
  • I'm also 31 and still a big fan. First got into it in 1998 when I was 7. Definitely not a series just for kids, anyone can enjoy it and I see tons of people my age and older who still love Pokémon. Especially true for people who have been into it since they were kids - many have an attachment to it since they've been fans for so long and don't plan to drop that anytime soon. I'll be a fan for my entire life. :') The anime series recently has been acknowledging their older audience and bringing back tons of old characters too, some episodes feel like they were made for us even.

Years
  • while it's true perhaps that the intended audience is for younger ages, that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it. i mean... you don't need to look any further than VGC tournaments where plenty of adults play pokemon (albeit on a competitive level, which emphasizes my point even more).

Years
    • Age 27
    • She/They
    • Seen Mar 24, 2023
    I don't get this remark. Does it really matter? Sure, It may have been aimed at a younger audience but that doesn't mean that older people still can't find it enjoyable?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It was originally designed for kids and the general idea still stands; the games are still developed with kids in mind.

However, the series has been around for so long that the people who enjoyed the series in their childhood are now grown up. A lot of them still enjoy the series to this day. And GF definitely knows that.

But we are definitely in a minority. Most people have probably moved on at some point. And while most of them don't really care about whether or not you're still into the series. There are always those types of people who don't like it when others like something they consider "childish".

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Pokemon is made with kids in mind, but it's for everyone, hence the E rating from the ESRB. It is true that Game Freak will always put their children fans first. Saying Pokemon is "just for kids" is an old statement at this point, tbh.

Years
    • Seen today
    It would be good to know what, in theory, determines that a video game is "for kids". Is it the constant hand-holding and lack of difficulty? (Because plenty of supposedly "adult" modern games do that too, games like modern Resident Evil treat players like idiots at times). Or is it the art style? Or maybe the lack of violence, sex, and murdering? It's hard to tell, and it's pretty subjective.

Anyway, I suppose all the Kanto pandering we've seen in modern Pokémon games means that Game Freak does think about their old fans, a lot. I can't see how players who didn't even exist 20 years ago could possibly have such nostalgia for Gen 1 Pokémon, that kind of fan-service is obviously aimed towards grown-up fans who already played Pokémon in the late '90s and early 20xx.

Years
  • Well, it was born to be for kids, however things changed. Video games in general evolved and became a "form of entertainment" and pokemon did too, becoming more inclusive, but especially adding its competitive part, which imo is pretty much really adult oriented. However, competitive part aside, if you have fun with something, you just have to go with it. There's no label in pokemon, if you enjoy it, you can play it. Also, games are in general more diffused nowadays, so the stereotype could slowly vanish. I just think that if something is born with the aim of entertaining, then there's no thing like age, maturity or whatever that can make you stop playing. That said, pokemon still has a big aim on children, even tho PLA was more mature, imo.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2022
    I don't think that it's a kid's game. I am 33 years old and still, I love to play this game. Everytime I enjoy playing this game. Sometimes my son likes to play this game with me.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Are they kid games? Yes, in the sense that children are the target audience, and so a lot of decisions were made specifically to cater to them.

But people often have very specific "agendas", for the lack of better term, when they brand a kid as a "kid's game".

Here are some possible "agendas":

"Kid games are inherently inferior" -> wrong, kid games are usually on the easier side, yes, but there's nothing wrong with that. Also it often has an implicit:

"Adults shouldn't play it / You aren't a Real Gamer ™️ / You're lesser if you play the game" -> Gatekeeping other people's hobbies is sad. As long as it's not negatively affecting your life (e.g.: it's an obsession) it's a hobby like any other, with all the usual pros and cons and caveats.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Are they kid games? Yes, in the sense that children are the target audience, and so a lot of decisions were made specifically to cater to them.

But people often have very specific "agendas", for the lack of better term, when they brand a kid as a "kid's game".

Here are some possible "agendas":

"Kid games are inherently inferior" -> wrong, kid games are usually on the easier side, yes, but there's nothing wrong with that. Also it often has an implicit:

"Adults shouldn't play it / You aren't a Real Gamer ™️ / You're lesser if you play the game" -> Gatekeeping other people's hobbies is sad. As long as it's not negatively affecting your life (e.g.: it's an obsession) it's a hobby like any other, with all the usual pros and cons and caveats.
    Am I too old because it's a kids game?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Pokémon is considered a "kid's game" because the target audience is children. However, people of all ages play it and it has certain complexities that mainly adults would generally understand better than children such as the mechanics with IVs, EVs, damage calculation, and competitive battling in general. In addition, as others have said, the people that were children when Pokémon first came out, the millennials, are all grown up now, but still love playing Pokémon. Therefore, Pokémon also appeals to them as well. Therefore, you can say that Pokémon is for everybody, not just for kids. If you're an adult, play what you like.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokemon has long since passed the threshold of just being a children's game. You could make the same argument of yu-gi-oh being a card game just for kids, or spongebob being show just for kids, but where all arguments fail is that they're accessible for the masses and enjoyable by everyone. Something targeted towards children can be enjoyable by adults as long as it is entertaining for them too. Not to mention, pokemon itself is so popular that it would be a mistake to say it is just for kids when you have merchandise for adults and pokemon tournaments for competitive battling.

I do recall my peers making fun of me for playing pokemon in middle school, but once high school rolled around it was suddenly popular again because of the releases of X&Y and GO. I was always under the assumption that pokemon is for children and adults because the pokemon red and blue advertisement shows an adult bus driver playing the games.

Also on the flip side games targeted for adults tend to mostly be played by children, such as call of duty.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • what does that mean? Is Pokemon is only for kids and adult can't play it because they are too old? am i too old for pokemon? I'm 24 btw?

Most people here (including me) are above 20 years old. Don't worry.

The story, the way the protagonist explores the world, the gameplay is mostly centred towards a younger audience of about 9-13 year olds...
    Yet, with the competitive scenario...or certain underlying themes, adults can derive joy too.

Heck, even the same things that are meant for kids can involve a deep sense of joy in our inner kid.
    Everything doesn't have to be made for adults for an adult to enjoy it.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Let's be real: Pokemon Adventures altogether more or less proves that Pokemon isn't just for children in more ways then one.

Pokemon might be marketed towards kids, but that does not mean only kids play this. Currently, it seems like almost everyone of the people on this website seem to be 17 years or older. And this is a Pokemon themed website.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back