• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Petitioning Game Freak for hard mode

Years
    This was not my idea, but I decided to sign it and spread it.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/challenge-for-pokemon-sun-moon

Some folks have created a petition to Game Freak to implement Challenge Mode in Sun and Moon from the beginning of the game. The signature goal seems a bit lofty, so I'm spreading it where I can.

This is not change.org, and does not require registration. It'll ask for a donation, but you can escape it and still have signed the petition by hitting the back button.

I guess we'll see where this goes.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Well, good luck, as the games seem to be easier and easier by the time. I miss those challenges against Whitney, Sabrina, Koga, Wattson and a large etc. (also I don't think it will be easy to convince them, but at least we got online rules and that stuff).

pkmin3033

This is a nice idea, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it didn't turn out to be wholly unnecessary - as these are 20th Anniversary titles, I think Game Freak will be very conscious of its older player base and will do attempt to provide some form of challenge for more experienced players. At least, I'd like to be that optimistic. The cynic in me says that they won't do that, and they'll ignore any and all protests or petitions from fans and keep chugging along as they always have, because they know regardless of what they do the games will sell by the millions across the globe.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    Don't want to be that pessimistic guy, but I'm pretty sure GF has already most of this game down (in terms of development planning and scheduling). It might delay if they haven't already decided to either implement a higher difficulty or make the game more difficult all together (compared to past games). Unless the petition gets an unusually high amount (to where it would REALLY impact their own sales) and they would have to be pretty diverse in terms of where the signatures came from as well. For instance, if the petition got 50k signatures, and 45k came from NA, they probably won't bother pushing back the game to work on a harder difficulty. However, GF has already received a lot of feedback regarding the past few versions to be on the easy side, and the fact that this is the 20th anniversary they will most likely not want to disappoint anyone so I say there's a good chance they will add difficulties again (like in B2W2) or simply make the game overall harder.

Regardless of all of that, I would still love the game to be harder compared to other games in the past. I beat XY within the first 24 hours and beat ORAS (w/ Delta Episode) on the 2nd day without any trouble what so ever.

Years
    Asking them to not only make a coherent game, but two, or alternatively two incoherent and hence worse games, seems unnecessary. There might be a reason why such modes (and a New Game+ seems unlikely in Pokémon, which is rather about continuity) are generally for more skeletal games such as FPSes, etc. The series could do with being more focussed, not less. Petitioning them to change significantly what they're doing when making a game, and also how their audience are to receive it, seems slightly unnecessary and excessive if it's just to marginally increase enjoyment. Pokémon is about setting out on a journey, not setting out on one of two completely different kinds of journeys, and just as a game is an incomplete product or a product that the game is trying to prevent the person from using thoroughly, this is just creating more that players might not experience going through things, which would probably turn away more than otherwise.

The cynic in me says that they won't do that, and they'll ignore any and all protests or petitions from fans and keep chugging along as they always have, because they know regardless of what they do the games will sell by the millions across the globe.
    That specific line seems unlikely. If they had resorted to such a priority, then whom are they selling it to? That would rather make them highly concerned about their fans and what they'd think, perhaps to the point of preventing them from making anything diverging from this at all. That said, various people work on these games, and not all of them are directly concerned about this, so in all likelihood if they weren't that responsive, it might be because they had to be left alone for a bit in order to actually make these games.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Since when has petitions ever worked for video games (see IHE's video on it)? Besides, I've already explained my reasoning about how unnecessary difficulty settings are for Pokémon, and you could pretty much say the same for other turn-based RPGs.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I don't feel like the petition will ever actually influence Game Freak to create a challenge mode, but it's a nice idea. I love the idea of a challenge mode and I really hope they add such an option, as they've already proven they're able to, I don't think it's necessary as the point of the games isn't the challenge but rather the exploration and "catch 'em all" aspects.

Years
    While it may seem like a good idea, I agree with most of the posts above. Petitions really don't succeed a lot as far as Pokemon is concerned.

Years
    This was not my idea, but I decided to sign it and spread it.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/challenge-for-pokemon-sun-moon

Some folks have created a petition to Game Freak to implement Challenge Mode in Sun and Moon from the beginning of the game. The signature goal seems a bit lofty, so I'm spreading it where I can.

This is not change.org, and does not require registration. It'll ask for a donation, but you can escape it and still have signed the petition by hitting the back button.
    Yo! Criminal in the making!
    I guess we'll see where this goes.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Signed, realllllly want a hard mode can't imagine it would be that hard to jack the levels up by 2 or 3 and add a few extra mons to the gym leaders. 3 Pokemon in X and Y, Really Gamefreak? Really?

Zet

Years
    GameFreak will never see it or acknowledge it. Go to them directly instead of making a petition on website and trying to get people to sign it. They've probably already discussed this in meetings and had a vote to see if it should be implemented or not.

Only way to know other than asking is to wait for the release.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Do petitions ever work for Video games?

Game Freak know those that want a challenge will find a way to challenge themselves.

If Challenge Mode (And for that matter Easy Mode as you can't have one without the other) are already in the game they are programmed in already.

Back