• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Photography School

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Photography School
    brought to you by Captain Fabio, Abnegation & Forever

Photography School
    Photography School
    Photography School

Photography School
    Photography School
    Photography School

Quick Links

[alink id="a"]Introduction[/alink id]
    [alink id="b"]Meet the Tutors[/alink id]
    [alink id="c"]Q&A[/alink id]
    [alink id="d"]How to Enroll[/alink id]
    [alink id="e"]Emblems[/alink id]
    [alink id="f"]Closing Comments[/alink id]

Members
    moments.
    Comic Tragedy
    zappyspiker
    Mr Cat Dog
    zZJoennZz
    Meganium90
    Speed
    SkyKnight
    vaporeon7
    Precipice
    Arlen
    Photography Workshop

[A ID]a[/A ID]

Introduction

Hello and welcome to the Photography Workshop. Here is the central hub for any photography tutoring needs that you might need. In this thread, you will be able to meet experienced photographers, ask them any questions that come to your mind, be able to get hints and tips off them, as well as be able to participate in different workshops that the tutors will be creating. More information is to come in the thread.

[A ID]b[/A ID]

Meet the Tutors

The three tutors that you will be able to turn to are, Captain Fabio, Abnegation and Forever. Please note, tutors ARE NOT ASSIGNED TO YOU. They are simply a universal resource.

Captain Fabio:
    Photography has been a large passion of mine for a very long time. I remember taking my first picture of a bird when I was rather young. It was using my father's camera and I was just amazed at what I could do with it. He showed me how to use it a little but didn't want me to end up breaking it, so didn't show me a lot of it. In secondary school, I got my first compact digital camera and I loved it, but it wasn't the same as my father's. Come college and I had a chance to take photography, but I decided against it since I wanted to keep it more of a hobby. For my 18th birthday, I got my first DSLR camera. It was an Olympus E-420. It was a nice little camera that was ideal for beginner photographers and I did consider myself a beginner since I hadn't really used DSLR's before. I quickly got to grips with it and my love for photography exploded. Two years ago, I upgraded to the Olympus E-620 with battery pack, flashgun and multiple lenses. I felt like I now had enough experience to be able to take pictures that I really liked. Since then, I have done photography for weddings, family occasions, friend's birthdays, MCM Expo's and some paid events. I loved hearing feedback from the people I was taking pictures for and often adapted myself to fulfil their needs; I have not have one complaint in my photography life.
    I really enjoy critiquing other peoples photograph, as you might see in Graphics & Photography, but you might think I am harsh. This is only because I believe that if I say X picture is beyond amazing and that is it, it won't help the photographer improve on anything, so I will pick at every little detail that I think can be improved on, but I am a nice guy really, honest! 8D
    If you would like to ask us any questions, you can PM, VM or post in this thread, but make it known you would like us to reply please.
    So, you might think I am just some guy lying, so here is a little showcase of some of my work so you can see my styles.

Captain Fabio's Photography
    Click on the thumbnails to see the full size

Photography School Photography School Photography School Photography School Photography School

Abnegation:
    I am not what people call a "photographer", but someone who captures time, portrayed in imagery, through a little irregular shaped box. Photography has been of interest to me for about 8 years, but it has never been such a strong part of my life, as it is now. I have always admired the art, but it took me a while to realize, anyone can do photography, they do not need to be super intelligent, artistic, or even need to see. Photography is about the feel, and some of the best photographers are blind. However, my style is primarily in modeling, and atmospheric shots. But anything I feel I should capture really.

I use a DSLR camera, a modest Nikon D3100. I don't have a great deal to say about my photography, I let the images speak for themselves, but I can offer so much, to those who need it.

Abnegation's Photography

Photography School Photography School Photography School Photography School Photography School

Forever:
    I never really was too interested in photography as a child - sure I liked to collect photos, but not really take them. I've went through three Kodak cameras, which have all broken in different ways and now I'm on an Olympus (not a dslr like the other two) camera. Basically, in about 2008, I became obsessed with clouds, taking photos of them all the time, changing the settings, etc, to create stunning photos. However, I was limited. On only a Kodak, I had to try really hard to even get decent photos... until I realised nature itself is much more interesting to photograph. This was expanded upon during 2010, which is when I started taking photos of nature rather than anything else, and I became obsessed with the depth of field feature, and taking photos from different angles to enhance certain parts of the photos and such. Around the end of December 2010, I got my Olympus camera which is awesome and makes life a lot easier when taking photographs. XD; Either way I plan to keep photography an interest of mine and I generally take my camera in my bag wherever I go if the opportunity presents itself.

As for around PC, I'll generally take a look at most photography galleries and probably not respond lol D: But I am interested in seeing what PC can do as far as photography goes :D

Forever's Photography

[A ID]c[/A ID]

Q&A

In this thread, us tutors are here to serve your questions. If you would like to ask us a question, you can post in this thread. Please use this form to ask the question:
    Question directed at:
    Question:
    This is just to make sure the questions are neat and organized. If you are unsure as to who to direct the question at, just say 'Any Tutor' and we will do our best to answer it, like all the questions. Please note, we don't know everything about photography, but we will do our best to answer it. If one tutor doesn't know the answer, we will confer and best answer the question.

[A ID]d[/A ID]

How to Enroll

If you would like to enroll for the workshops, which I will speak about after this, then you will need to fill out this form, so we know that you would like to join in and if needs be, we can contact you.
    Username:
    Camera Type:
    Experience (If any):
    What you would like to learn:

Optional Tasks/Workshops
    Here is where the most current workshops will be posted. They will range in time depending on how hard we feel the tasks are. THESE ARE NOT COMPETITONS, these are simply to help you improve your skills. One of us WILL BE SETTING UP COMPETITONS IN THE COMPETITONS THREAD, but when we feel that a number of you have mastered the techniques.
    If you have any questions about any workshops, please feel free to ask any of us.
    Workshops will be posted when we get some members signing up.
    Why are we doing this?
    All three of us feel that there isn't a lot of photography activity on the forum, maybe because some people don't like it, maybe because people aren't confident in their abilities, but we want you to get your cameras out and get photographing.
    We are all so passionate about photography; we just simply want to pass on our knowledge.

[A ID]e[/A ID]

Emblems

Throughout the time in this thread, we will be looking at how dedicated members are and how different workshops go. We will have emblems to give out to members that we feel are worthy of them, if they have put in a lot of effort or produced outstanding work, but don't ask for them or expect it, as it will just hurt your chances of getting them.

[A ID]f[/A ID]

Closing Comments

We would just like to say that we are only human, if we don't reply straight away to your comments, please note that we will reply as fast as we can, but please be patient. We hope that you have fun and learn new techniques that you never thought you could learn.
    From Captain Fabio, Abnegation and Forever.

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Brilliant idea. Hopefully it is as popular as the graphics school but doesn't die as quickly. ;)

Username: moments.

Camera Type: Canon Eos 550D

Experience (If any): Not really very much, I've gone through phases with photography and done a few different types during high school like film / dark room photography and digital photography with manipulation on Photoshop. I sort of know the basics on how to make a photo look good in the frame, but I need experience with the actual camera and how to achieve it. In other words, I think I know the theory, but lack the practice.

How to properly operate a DSLR, particularly using manual settings to achieve a better looking photograph.

Username: Comic Tragedy

Camera Type: Nikon D3100

Experience (If any): Not really very much, I've gone through phases with photography and done a few different types during high school like film / dark room photography and digital photography with manipulation on Photoshop. I sort of know the basics on how to make a photo look good in the frame, but I need experience with the actual camera and how to achieve it. In other words, I think I know the theory, but lack the practice.

What you would like to learn: How to properly operate a DSLR, particularly using manual settings to achieve a better looking photograph.
    (love you moments <3)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Username: zappyspiker
    Camera Type: Nikon D3100
    Experience (If any): Apart from going through several digital cameras since the age of 10 not really much. Haven't touched any photos with photoshop but It'd be something I want to learn.
    How to properly operate a DSLR, particularly using manual settings to achieve a better looking photograph.
    Well moments kinda covered it but I guess learning to be more confident with taking photos, especially from a DSLR. I haven't had my Nikon (My first DSLR) long and even though I've had people think I take great photos I feel really far from that.

Years
    8D
    Welcome to moments, comic tragedy and zappyspiker. You are, obviously, the first three members of the photography school. NOW SIT DOWN. I joke I joke.

So in a more non-formal way of saying it, all the tutors are, are extra resources for you to use. I see that all of you want to learn how to correctly use a DSLR and mainly the manual settings. This is great to hear, as although the auto focus (AF) is a nice thing to have, you will get a better picture, a better feel and better satisfaction if you use the manual (MF) focusing.

What I want you three to do, is to read through this. You can take as long as you like, but before I even start to tell you things, read through the guide that I created a while back. This has all the important information and settings in it.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=237270

If you have any questions or don't understand what I have said, you can post in here and ask us questions, or you can, speaking for the group here (so sorry other tutors) contact us directly if you feel it is a bit of a obvious question. But let me tell you this, there is no point in just sitting in the corner, not understanding it but just going a long with it. This isn't like your typical class where everyone will be doing the same, set things. You learn at your own pace and you do it when and where you want. So relax and just chill!​

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    May I offer a welcome to our 3 new members, you have been added to the member list in the box on the right hand side of the main post.

I'm not gonna echo what Fabio said, but definitely read that sticky, get to terms with the terminology (bad bad bad pun), as you don't want to be too lost when we start using acronyms and words you're not familiar with. We will be here to teach manual focus, and a large of what I will be concentrating on, in addition to that, is simply composition. However, to help you guys with composition, we'll need to see some of your photographs when you go out and take new ones after joining the school, and from there, I or one of the others tutors will help you with angles, and position and also settings, of course.

When you start with manual, some cameras will allow you to choose automatic on certain settings, so start small, just use a few manual settings until you understand how they work, then once you think you've got it down, move onto using more manual settings. And remember, feel free to share any of your work, either in the thread or through PM's to one of the three tutors, but feel free to to be as open as you wish.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Do we need a DSLR to participate?

Nope, since I don't have a DSLR and I'm one of the people hosting it. XD

@Everyone else, welcome guys ^____& /nothing to add that wasn't already covered

Years
    Do we need a DSLR to participate?

Like Forever said, you do not. We all understand that not everyone can have access to a shiny DSLR, so questions can still be asked on compact or midway cameras.
    They are pretty much the same really, but with less control. However, that being said, you can still take stunning pictures.​

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    This is a great idea. :)

Username: Meganium90
    Camera Type: Kodak EasyShare M530 & Sony Webbie HD MHS-PM1
    Experience (If any): I've had experience taking pictures of weather & different types of cloud formations up in the sky, I recently got back into photography by taking pictures of the animals at Sea World, and flowers. I never retouch my pictures, or use Photoshop to edit them. It's all original. I also have experience operating a DSLR camera, but it's been a long while since I'd used it.
    What you would like to learn: Basically how to take pictures using manual settings. I'm a novice when it comes to that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I realized saying I didn't have a good enough camera or enough time was just an excuse because I was nervous about joining, since I'm on here all the time and I have enough time to take pictures in general. xD;

Username: Toujours
    Camera Type: Samsung SL202
    Experience (If any): Only a little amateur photography
    What you would like to learn: Everything? XD I'm not really sure how many manual settings my camera has, how to even check for it, or how to use them. So there's that, to start with.

Years
    This is a great idea. :)

Username: Meganium90
    Camera Type: Kodak EasyShare M530 & Sony Webbie HD MHS-PM1
    Experience (If any): I've had experience taking pictures of weather & different types of cloud formations up in the sky, I recently got back into photography by taking pictures of the animals at Sea World, and flowers. I never retouch my pictures, or use Photoshop to edit them. It's all original. I also have experience operating a DSLR camera, but it's been a long while since I'd used it.
    What you would like to learn: Basically how to take pictures using manual settings. I'm a novice when it comes to that.

I realized saying I didn't have a good enough camera or enough time was just an excuse because I was nervous about joining, since I'm on here all the time and I have enough time to take pictures in general. xD;

Username: Toujours
    Camera Type: Samsung SL202
    Experience (If any): Only a little amateur photography
    What you would like to learn: Everything? XD I'm not really sure how many manual settings my camera has, how to even check for it, or how to use them. So there's that, to start with.

Welcome guys.
    Lovely to see two people I know joining the school! :3

I am rather happy you are all, pretty much, at the same level as each other, this makes it a lot easier to teach you lot! XD

School will be in session soon, but there are just some things us tutors need to talk about. So hang tight, read that sticky I made on this board and we shall be with you in the next few days!​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'll start you guys off with a question since there isn't much going on just yet and I was curious :P

Question directed at: Any Tutor
    Question: How do you feel about Photoshop being used to enhance pictures? Is it only acceptable when the changes are minor, or not at all, or is it a tool to use as much as you'd like just like the settings on a camera?

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Question/Comment:

I would like to join, but all I have is my phone, a Env3. I could use my moms digital if needed (I dont know what type it is)
    I have always loved to take photos, no matter how "novice" they seem. I am in i photography class at school where we work with canon and kodak i think. I probably have all the skills their. but would I be able to join?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'll start you guys off with a question since there isn't much going on just yet and I was curious :P

Question: How do you feel about Photoshop being used to enhance pictures? Is it only acceptable when the changes are minor, or not at all, or is it a tool to use as much as you'd like just like the settings on a camera?

I think... it's only good when you want to display your photography for business purposes or something like that, to make a letterhead or something look nice. Buut in general? I think you can still achieve really good photos without photoshop, though I guess as long as you don't claim for them to be the originals and show the originals in galleries etc, I think it's fine. I'd be more amazed at photography achieved purely from the camera than edited photography. Though more options on a camera would be nice HMMMM.

Question/Comment:

I would like to join, but all I have is my phone, a Env3. I could use my moms digital if needed (I dont know what type it is)
    I have always loved to take photos, no matter how "novice" they seem. I am in i photography class at school where we work with canon and kodak i think. I probably have all the skills their. but would I be able to join?

Yup any camera is fine, and even using your mother's camera would be fine too. Cause well, even with bad cameras, you can still take really good photos, so yes that includes a phone.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Question: Ever since I got my nikon I've been having problems taking photos when it's dark, or outside at night - dark and cloudy doesn't help either. Sometimes the photo will turn grainy and blurry (especially if it's an action photo which is one of the types of photos I like taking) I sometimes borrow my cousin's flash but it isn't always available for me to use. Any tips?

Years

I might as well answer them too. :3

Personally, I don't like using photoshop to enhance or change the picture in any way, apart from putting a border on the picture, since you can't do that on a camera. Every photographer is different and they either use PS or not for different reasons. I feel like I am cheating if I use it to lighten the picture, or get rid of that black spec or whatever. But that is just my personal opinion.​

Question/Comment:

Of course you can mate. I am going to find you a video I saw where it was a tutorial on how to take great pictures on an iPhone. The reason for that is to show that even a phone can take stunning pictures! Welcome aboard.​

Question: Ever since I got my nikon I've been having problems taking photos when it's dark, or outside at night - dark and cloudy doesn't help either. Sometimes the photo will turn grainy and blurry (especially if it's an action photo which is one of the types of photos I like taking) I sometimes borrow my cousin's flash but it isn't always available for me to use. Any tips?

First off, the compact flash in the camera is normally pretty bad. It is annoying, but if you are wanting a decent flash and light scene, a flashgun is what you will need. However, that being said, not everyone can buy one or have access to one. It sounds like there isn't enough light hitting the lens. Try decreasing the shutter speed, this will allow the shutter to stay open for longer and pull in more light. You will also need to set your ISO rather low, maybe as low as it can go, ie, 100.

ISO - This determines how sensitive your camera's sensor is to light. The lower your ISO, teh longer it will take to take a picture, but the less "noise" or "grain" your picture will have. the higher the ISO, the faster you can take a picture, but you will have more "noise" or "grain".

Also, because the cameras shutter will be open for that tiny bit longer, you will need to keep very still. The reason for this, is if you move even a tiny bit, then the camera will blur, which is what you are experiencing now. I know not everyone has a tripod, so try putting it on a rock if you are outdoors, or a table or whatever inside.

Hope that helps. I have experienced all these problems when I was starting out! 8D​

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    Not a tutor, but I can answer your question. You're having trouble because of the low amount of light making it difficult to get correct exposure. Basically, you have three main factors in exposure. ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture. ISO refers to how sensitive your sensor is to light, Shutter Speed is how long the shutter stays open for, and Aperture refers to how big or small the opening to let light through is.

Your complaints of grainy and blurry are a result of the camera trying to get proper exposure for the image. The graininess (called noise for digital photographs) comes from a high ISO setting, and you can reduce graininess by setting your ISO lower, however that also lowers your sensors sensitivity to light, requiring a slower shutter speed and/or larger aperture.

The blurriness most likely comes from motion in your hand, as from the situation you describe it sounds like your camera in an attempt to get correct exposure is setting your shutter speed to slower than 1/60th of a second. I say 1/60th because it's a general rule of thumb to me that you need to shoot at atleast 1/60th of a second in order to avoid blur from unsteady hands. You can remedy this by setting the camera on a flat surface or employing the use of a tripod (or flash to up the amount of light present).

Basically from what you described I can offer these suggestions and maybe you'll find a happy medium between the two: (Assuming: For both have your after set to the lowest f/stop which would be the most amount of light possible.)

If you wish to lower the amount of noise present in your photo's lower your ISO (which will in turn slow your shutter speed) and use a tripod to prevent any shaky/motion/blur that would be a result of a slow shutter speed. However, slow shutter speeds are exactly conducive to sports/action shots

If you want to lower the amount of blur in your photo at the cost of (increased) noise bump the ISO up further if possible, which increase the sensitivity to light and make it so that you can have a fast shutter speed forgoing the need for a tripod.

A flash is ideal for your situation (in my opinion), as you've probably figured out.

Hope this helps!

If I missed anything/needs clarification, tutors please correct me or add to the post. I think I covered all that needs to be said, but then again I might've assumed something.

edit: darnit Fabio. You ninja'd me by like 3 minutes as I was typing up my long response. :D

Last edited:

zZJoennZz

What da!?
    Years
    Username: zZJoennZz
    Camera Type: Samsung TL105
    Experience (If any): I only take simple pictures, so no but I'm interested with taking pictures.
    What you would like to learn: The basics and to improve.

Years
    Username: zZJoennZz
    Camera Type: Samsung TL105
    Experience (If any): I only take simple pictures, so no but I'm interested with taking pictures.
    What you would like to learn: The basics and to improve.

MUHAHAHAHAHA TAKE THAT SILVER!

Welcome to the school, zZJoneeZz.​

Back