• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Picking pokemon for my ingame team

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    These are the pokemon I was planning on having so far.

Physical sweeper:

Infernape
    Trait:Blaze
    Nature:jolly
    item:Choice scarf
    Moveset:
    Mach punch (moves first)
    Sword dance
    Fire punch/blaze kick
    Acrobatics (if that is in platinum)

Physical sweeper

Bibarel (I know not your first choice but look at the specs first)
    Nature: Brave
    Trait:Simple
    Item:life orb
    Moveset:
    Curse
    Waterfall
    Quickattack/hyper fang
    Yawn

I need help picking my other pokemon and there specs as well as with the current 2 I have right now.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The best way to go with in-game teams is to just go with Pokémon who have a varied movepool and good utility, you don't have to go much farther than that or go with movesets that require much setting up.

Infernape
    Blaze
    Hasty/Naive
    - Flamethrower
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - Grass Knot

Infernape works well as a mixed sweeper in-game, so a better nature would be Hasty or Naive. Other move options include Rock Slide, Return, Mach Punch, and Shadow Claw. Infernape has a very large movepool at its disposal and 104 Atk/SpAtk with 108 Speed, so it's best to use it.

Floatzel
    Swift Swim
    Jolly/Adamant
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Fang
    - Crunch
    - Quick Attack (Surf, if you want)

Floatzel is superior to Bibarel in pretty much every regard, 105 Atk compared to Bibarel's 85, and 115 Spe compared to Bibarel's 71 outclasses it by a lot. There's also the perk of Buizel being accessible very early in the game.

Staraptor
    Intimidate
    Adamant/Jolly
    - Aerial Ace/Brave Bird (PP or power)
    - Quick Attack
    - Steel Wing
    - Fly

Staraptor is another really good Pokémon that you can catch early in the game (if not your first capture) that has great stats and a good ability, plus Fly.

Some Pokémon that would complement your team include Garchomp, Weavile, Alakazam, Gengar, Roserade, or Lucario. I can give you movesets on them as well, if you'd like; I also recommend Alakazam, Gengar, Roserade, or Lucario as they can provide more special offense.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    The best way to go with in-game teams is to just go with Pokémon who have a varied movepool and good utility, you don't have to go much farther than that or go with movesets that require much setting up.

Infernape
    Blaze
    Hasty/Naive
    - Flamethrower
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - Grass Knot

Infernape works well as a mixed sweeper in-game, so a better nature would be Hasty or Naive. Other move options include Rock Slide, Return, Mach Punch, and Shadow Claw. Infernape has a very large movepool at its disposal and 104 Atk/SpAtk with 108 Speed, so it's best to use it.

Floatzel
    Swift Swim
    Jolly/Adamant
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Fang
    - Crunch
    - Quick Attack (Surf, if you want)

Floatzel is superior to Bibarel in pretty much every regard, 105 Atk compared to Bibarel's 85, and 115 Spe compared to Bibarel's 71 outclasses it by a lot. There's also the perk of Buizel being accessible very early in the game.

Staraptor
    Intimidate
    Adamant/Jolly
    - Aerial Ace/Brave Bird (PP or power)
    - Quick Attack
    - Steel Wing
    - Fly

Staraptor is another really good Pokémon that you can catch early in the game (if not your first capture) that has great stats and a good ability, plus Fly.

Some Pokémon that would complement your team include Garchomp, Weavile, Alakazam, Gengar, Roserade, or Lucario. I can give you movesets on them as well, if you'd like; I also recommend Alakazam, Gengar, Roserade, or Lucario as they can provide more special offense.

I can't get kadabra or haunter to evolve now that the wifi trading for platinum is off and I don't know anyone with DPP/SSHG to trade with unless there is another way.
    Edit: Would togekiss work better than Staraptor? Just wondering cause I haven't done a play through with one in any of the games and was wondering if I could now if not then ok I'll do it later.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I can't get kadabra or haunter to evolve now that the wifi trading for platinum is off and I don't know anyone with DPP/SSHG to trade with unless there is another way.
    Edit: Would togekiss work better than Staraptor? Just wondering cause I haven't done a play through with one in any of the games and was wondering if I could now if not then ok I'll do it later.

You can catch a Gengar at the Old Chateau if you have a DS and can insert a GBA game into the second slot. Also since you're playing Platinum and not just DP you have a lot more options too - you can use Gardevoir instead of Alakazam, plus you can use the Eeveelutions as well.

Togekiss will work really well, I recommend a set like this:

Togekiss
    Serene Grace
    - Air Slash
    - Aura Sphere
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Fly

There are a lot of other options too, like Flamethrower, Shock Wave, Psychic, Shadow Ball, etc.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    You can catch a Gengar at the Old Chateau if you have a DS and can insert a GBA game into the second slot. Also since you're playing Platinum and not just DP you have a lot more options too - you can use Gardevoir instead of Alakazam, plus you can use the Eeveelutions as well.

Togekiss will work really well, I recommend a set like this:

Togekiss
    Serene Grace
    - Air Slash
    - Aura Sphere
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Fly

There are a lot of other options too, like Flamethrower, Shock Wave, Psychic, Shadow Ball, etc.

Yay! Thank you for the help and would it be bad having two of the same type on the team like infernape and lucario (fighting types)?
    Edit: I might use Espeon.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Yay! Thank you for the help and would it be bad having two of the same type on the team like infernape and lucario (fighting types)?
    Edit: I might use Espeon.

It's not bad in-game, especially since they are both dual type and because they can both be used as mixed sweepers. While you have Infernape with Close Combat, you can have Lucario with Aura Sphere so that you have both physical and special Fighting-type moves on your team, depending on if your opponent has higher defense or higher special defense.

So if you want to use Lucario like that, this would be a good moveset:

Lucario
    - Aura Sphere
    - Dark Pulse
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flash Cannon

That is a strictly special moveset, if you wanted to make it more mixed you can use other moves like ExtremeSpeed, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and more. Lucario has an extremely large and versatile movepool.

If you want to use Espeon, this is a good, varied moveset:

Espeon
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Grass Knot
    - Swift / Quick Attack

Espeon doesn't have much at its disposal, but that's a pretty straight-forward set to use it in-game. If you want to get creative, Espeon also has access to moves like Reflect and Light Screen.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    It's not bad in-game, especially since they are both dual type and because they can both be used as mixed sweepers. While you have Infernape with Close Combat, you can have Lucario with Aura Sphere so that you have both physical and special Fighting-type moves on your team, depending on if your opponent has higher defense or higher special defense.

So if you want to use Lucario like that, this would be a good moveset:

Lucario
    - Aura Sphere
    - Dark Pulse
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flash Cannon

That is a strictly special moveset, if you wanted to make it more mixed you can use other moves like ExtremeSpeed, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and more. Lucario has an extremely large and versatile movepool.

If you want to use Espeon, this is a good, varied moveset:

Espeon
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Grass Knot
    - Swift / Quick Attack

Espeon doesn't have much at its disposal, but that's a pretty straight-forward set to use it in-game. If you want to get creative, Espeon also has access to moves like Reflect and Light Screen.

Why grass not on Espeon doesn't it only work on heavy water or ground types? Maybe I could replace it with reflect or light screen. (Wish it could learn magical leaf) And now that I see this I'm beginning to think Gardivore may be better or I could try Umbreon maybe.
    I just remembered hp grass would be a good replacement too if I can get it. How would I do that anyways?

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Why grass not on Espeon doesn't it only work on heavy water or ground types? Maybe I could replace it with reflect or light screen. (Wish it could learn magical leaf) And now that I see this I'm beginning to think Gardivore may be better or I could try Umbreon maybe.
    I just remembered hp grass would be a good replacement too if I can get it. How would I do that anyways?

Grass Knot works based on the opponent's weight, anything that is heavy will take a hard hit from it, and it adds the benefit of type coverage. I do agree that Gardevoir would be better, its movepool is more expansive than Espeon's was in Gen IV as well, with moves like Shock Wave, Energy Ball, Focus Blast, and Charge Beam (chance of boosting your SpAtk as well) available.

If you're debating on using an Eeveelution, I recommend Leafeon in Platinum. I used one a few years ago with the moves Leaf Blade, X-Scissor, Aerial Ace, and Quick Attack and it held its own very well, especially against Crasher Wake and Bertha in the E4.

Also, getting a specific Hidden Power type is extremely tricky and requires breeding for exact IVs, it's not really recommended for in-game.

Years
    just completed Platinum on my phone (using Drastic). As per my opinion having a Espeon/Gardevoir is really neccesary because most of the Team Galactic Grunts has Crobat/Golbat & Toxicroak/Croagunk which is really a big pain.
    Also you can use Gyarados very effectively in this game because of Physical water type moves.

For Gardevoir
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt/Shock Wave/Charge Beam
    - Calm Mind/Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball/Focus Blast

Gyarados
    - Aqua Tail
    - Ice Fang
    - Earthquake/Stone Edge
    - Dragon Dance

it totally depends on you which one you like either Gardevoir/Espeon & Floatzel/Gyarados.

I dont have much experience with Togekiss (it ofcourse has more base stat than Staraptor).
    My Staraptor knews
    - Fly
    - Brave Bird
    - Close Combat
    - Endeavor

You can remove Close Combat with Steel Wing (as Hikari suggested) but Close Combat works better as it has much more power & Accuracy is 100. But the downside for this move is that it has only few usage (5 PP, Max 8) & it lowers the Defence stats.

You can also think to add Garchomp, Roserade etc.
    Garchomp is hard to obtain (its in Victory Road as a Gabite).

Garchomp
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw/Dragon Rush
    - Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    just completed Platinum on my phone (using Drastic). As per my opinion having a Espeon/Gardevoir is really neccesary because most of the Team Galactic Grunts has Crobat/Golbat & Toxicroak/Croagunk which is really a big pain.
    Also you can use Gyarados very effectively in this game because of Physical water type moves.

For Gardevoir
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt/Shock Wave/Charge Beam
    - Calm Mind/Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball/Focus Blast

Gyarados
    - Aqua Tail
    - Ice Fang
    - Earthquake/Stone Edge
    - Dragon Dance

it totally depends on you which one you like either Gardevoir/Espeon & Floatzel/Gyarados.

I dont have much experience with Togekiss (it ofcourse has more base stat than Staraptor).
    My Staraptor knews
    - Fly
    - Brave Bird
    - Close Combat
    - Endeavor

You can remove Close Combat with Steel Wing (as Hikari suggested) but Close Combat works better as it has much more power & Accuracy is 100. But the downside for this move is that it has only few usage (5 PP, Max 8) & it lowers the Defence stats.

You can also think to add Garchomp, Roserade etc.
    Garchomp is hard to obtain (its in Victory Road as a Gabite).

Garchomp
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw/Dragon Rush
    - Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Actually you can get it earlier cause gabite show up under the cycling bridge. Pain in the Arceus to run in to it but you can and it's worth it.

Can I have both espeon ans leafeon or Gardivore and Leafeon?
    Edit: What if I did this for my team with the movesets given here.

Infernape
    Floatzle
    Togekiss
    Lucario
    Garchomp
    Espeon

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Actually you can get it earlier cause gabite show up under the cycling bridge. Pain in the Arceus to run in to it but you can and it's worth it.

Can I have both espeon ans leafeon or Gardivore and Leafeon?
    Edit: What if I did this for my team with the movesets given here.

Infernape
    Floatzel
    Togekiss
    Lucario
    Garchomp
    Espeon
    If this is going to be your team, you should replace Espeon with Gardevoir. Gardevoir can learn Thunderbolt and Energy Ball to deal with Water types.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    If this is going to be your team, you should replace Espeon with Gardevoir. Gardevoir can learn Thunderbolt and Energy Ball to deal with Water types.

Espeon can use grass knot to cover that as well though those moves are better (wouldn't charge beam be better then thunderbolt?).

Years
    I got Gabite in Victory road so dont know about other places.

& yeah Gardevoir will be better choice then Espeon. If you are going to have Charge Beam on Gardevoir then there's no need of Calm Mind, you can remove it for any other move for more type coverage.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I got Gabite in Victory road so dont know about other places.

& yeah Gardevoir will be better choice then Espeon. If you are going to have Charge Beam on Gardevoir then there's no need of Calm Mind, you can remove it for any other move for more type coverage.

You can find Gible in Wayward cave under cycling road. I just caught one today in fact.

Back