• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Pictionary

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Pictionary

Pictionary

Background image done by deviantart user lenaachan

What is it?

In case you don't know, Pictionary is a party game where someone has to draw something (in our case, a Pokémon) and someone else has to guess what it is.
    People take turns between drawing and guessing, and to win the game you must have the biggest amount of points at the end.

If you're drawing, you get points if people guess what you drew. The more people guess correctly, the more points you get.
    If you're guessing, you get points if you guess correctly. The faster you get it, the more points you get.

Here are some screenshots of a game in progress:
    Spoiler:

You can play with a phone, tablet or computer, so everybody can join in the fun!

When and where will we play?

We'll be playing over in skribbl.io, and we've planned sessions at 11:00 AM and 11:00 PM UTC, that should be 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM EST.

When we're gearing up for play, we'll let people know in the Discord server and post a link to the lobby! If you want to make sure you don't miss notifications, be sure to get the Discord role over there.

We'll also let people know both here and in the Discord if anything happens and we need to reschedule or just outright cancel one of the sessions.

I can't do any of those times, is there any other way I can play?

Let me know either here (via PM or VM) or via Discord (@shoot#9297) and if you're willing to host, we can see if we can make an extra session.

Just make sure to take a screenshot of the final results and post here in this thread later!

This is also an art appreciation thread!

If you see a drawing you think looks great, or a drawing you think looks funny, feel free to take a screenshot and post here.
    You might want to crop any identifying (or inappropriate) details before though.

The rewards

You get 10 points for your team every time you make it to the end of a session!

We're also giving these bonuses for the Top 3 of every section if we have 5 or more players:
    + 15 for first place
    + 10 for second place
    + 5 for third place

We'll also be having some achievements to grant extra points to people throughout the event, so make sure to play a lot and post a lot of art to see if you can get them!

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I'll do more formatting later, but basically the content should be that.

Achievements I have in mind so far (name pending, all of them are workshoppable):

- Frequent Champion
    + 10 points for making it to the top 3 in at least 3 sessions

- Perfect Attendance
    + 10 points for players that participated in one session every day of the event.

- Eternal Champion
    + 50 points for the players that made it to the top 3 in at least 8 sessions.

- Average Art Enjoyer
    + 20 points for the players that posted the most art

- You can't pay rent with exposure
    + 20 points for the players whose art was posted here most frequently

Years
  • So I firstly like that points are awarded for those who complete a full session, rather than dipping in and out. Also really like the idea of submitting the art! If you want, we could set up a separate thread/channel on the Discord server for you? Even if it's just to have a place to dump them to upload to the forums, just shout if you need anything.

Achievements look great, my only concern is this - the achievements alone 110 points which is a bit of a swing if one team gets most of them, but combine it with the event points to and we get (I won't say the full two weeks, so I'll say 12/14 days as a sort of average):

- participating in one session every day results in 130 points per player
    - generally the same people come to the same sessions each time, meaning that this could be potentially fairly feasible for a few people to get
    - make this both sessions and you then are at 250 points per player (although unless you're a psychopath, in theory this should be almost impossible to get)
    - let's say that you manage to get 1st place in half of those, that's then 130 + (6 x 15) + 10 = 215 points for potentially up to 4 players in a team, totalling 860 points

I know these are more worst case scenarios, but I also know how competitive people can get and if they realise the amount of points that could be grabbed in this, people may look to organise something to make sure that they can get as many points as they can.

How can we curb that? I haven't got a concrete answer right now, but a few things we could consider:

- lowering particpation points to 5 for each player, meaning that already players are going to be earning, based on one game a day, around 60 points each.
    - have the participation bonus only apply to one session a day. in theory, yes people may decide not to come to more than one as a result, but at the same time with the 12 hour gap in theory means we will mostly be getting different crowds anyway.
    - as you have the 1st/2nd/3rd stuff in place, you could potentially change the scoring to award a 1st/2nd/3rd place overall rather than per day, based on points players accumulate over their time playing.
    - with these in mind, I think the achievements can stay as they are.

If you have any other suggestions etc please do say! Event itself is great, just want to make sure we don't have something similar to Among Us last year, where it had potential to absolutely explode into easy points and a lot of them.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'd rather keep this as a daily payout like it has been in previous years. We don't want to have too many longform/cumulative events because we lose the fun of watching the scores gradually increasing which lowers participant investment. I'd suggest maybe tweaking the achievements so that they can't be won repeatedly. I think making them mostly per session instead of per game was a good call too.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think a thread or channel in Discord would help a lot.

As for points, I can go with lowering the participation to +5, although I think I'd rather cut down on the achievements, I think.
    If only to make the logistics easier for me, since looking closer at it, this seems like a chunk of work.

I think those should work?

- Perfect Attendance
    + 10 points for players that finished one session every day of the event.

- Average Art Enjoyer

I want the last two because they're the art submission incentives, but the first one is just a fun thing that it's mostly a "oh, if it happens, it happens."
    Maybe give a bit of a grace period (so like, you can miss one or two days?)

Years
  • I think a thread or channel in Discord would help a lot.

As for points, I can go with lowering the participation to +5, although I think I'd rather cut down on the achievements, I think.
    If only to make the logistics easier for me, since looking closer at it, this seems like a chunk of work.

I think those should work?

- Perfect Attendance
    + 10 points for players that finished one session every day of the event.

- Average Art Enjoyer

I want the last two because they're the art submission incentives, but the first one is just a fun thing that it's mostly a "oh, if it happens, it happens."
    Maybe give a bit of a grace period (so like, you can miss one or two days?)

Happy with the achievement changes and such, so just to clarify:

- 10 participant points per player for each session they attend, as opposed to each game
    - Achievements have been cut down to three; two art-submitting achievements and one achievement for attendance
    - Discord channel/thread required

Is this right? If so, then I think we can say the event is complete and ready to go subject to cosmetic changes :)

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Yes. I don't foresee sessions having a lot more than one game, but if they do participation is per session, Top 3 is per game.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Added CSS, screenshot examples and a hero image so unless we have any objections I think this is pretty much done and ready to go.

(The title image is a bit rough but that's more or less the idea, since Pictionary images are always a little rough around the edges)

Years
  • Added CSS, screenshot examples and a hero image so unless we have any objections I think this is pretty much done and ready to go.

(The title image is a bit rough but that's more or less the idea, since Pictionary images are always a little rough around the edges)

Only thing I'd advise is an actual font colour in your body of the CSS - it's currently showing up as almost invisible in the dark theme I am using!

Otherwise - marking this as Approved as everything else is sorted.

Last edited:
    Back