• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Pksv Scripting Help

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2014
    So I've been trying to get this script to work, but every time i click compile, it gets filled with raw data and stuff, and the setflag and disappear go away. Does anyone know why this may be happening?

#org 0x874018E
    '-----------------------------------
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag FR_BADGE_1
    message 0x874019A ' \v\h01 found the Bou...
    callstd MSG_LOCK ' Built-in lock command
    setflag FR_BADGE_1
    disappear 0x5
    release
    end

#org 0x874019A
    = \v\h01 found the Boulder Badge!

Years
  • So I've been trying to get this script to work, but every time i click compile, it gets filled with raw data and stuff, and the setflag and disappear go away. Does anyone know why this may be happening?

#org 0x874018E
    '-----------------------------------
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag FR_BADGE_1
    message 0x874019A ' \v\h01 found the Bou...
    callstd MSG_LOCK ' Built-in lock command
    setflag FR_BADGE_1
    disappear 0x5
    release
    end

#org 0x874019A
    = \v\h01 found the Boulder Badge!

Wait, are you using PKSV?
    I suggest you use XSE 1.1.1, destinedjagold may help you find the link..

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2014
    Wait, are you using PKSV?
    I suggest you use XSE 1.1.1, destinedjagold may help you find the link..

Yea i know, people have suggested it to me before, but I don't like having to write things myself, and pksv has the script generator

EDIT: Also, I have XSE

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Yea i know, people have suggested it to me before, but I don't like having to write things myself, and pksv has the script generator

EDIT: Also, I have XSE
    You don't like writing scripts, so that's why you're using PKSV? Sorry, but that's a really lazy attitude you have there, regardless of which script editor you're using. You're never going to get far if you rely on a script generator. Practice makes perfect, and it's especially true in rom hacking. Once you script yourself, you will naturally get better, and learn how to make more advanced scripts.
    Also, XSE has more support and tutorials, so I recommend switching. It's just more practical that way.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2014
    You don't like writing scripts, so that's why you're using PKSV? Sorry, but that's a really lazy attitude you have there, regardless of which script editor you're using. You're never going to get far if you rely on a script generator. Practice makes perfect, and it's especially true in rom hacking. Once you script yourself, you will naturally get better, and learn how to make more advanced scripts.
    Also, XSE has more support and tutorials, so I recommend switching. It's just more practical that way.
    What, exactly, about XSE makes it better? Everyone tells me i should switch, but they don't say why.

Years
  • What, exactly, about XSE makes it better? Everyone tells me i should switch, but they don't say why.

I'm just saying, I do not hate you...xD
    Well, you should switch to XSE because, first, has many features, number two, um, ..., mental block! Just remember its the best scripting program around.
    Its really up to you, you can use XSE or Pksv, its not a law to use XSE...:)

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    What, exactly, about XSE makes it better? Everyone tells me i should switch, but they don't say why.
    I gave my reasons. Better support and more tutorials. You'll see a lot more people using XSE than PKSV, and there's more tutorials on XSE than PKSV, so naturally you'll get more help with XSE than PKSV.
    That being said however, I don't necessarily care if you use XSE or PKSV. What I do care about is your attitude. "I don't like having to write things myself, and pksv has the script generator" is a pretty bad excuse to use PKSV in my opinion. If you'd said something along the lines of "PKSV is easier for me to understand, and I can code better in it", then I would've been more sympathetic. You however, are using PKSV because it has a script generator, which will be bad for you in the long run. Doing things yourself is often the best way to learn, and scripting is no different. If you're going to use PKSV, ditch the script generator, and code things yourself.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • Okay, I'm actually going to try to help instead of getting into pointless arguments about nothing.

I tried it in my PKSV and it compiled correctly, (no #RAWs all over the place).

That said, there are a couple things you should probably change.

After the "checkflag FR_BADGE_1", you should have a line that says "if true jump @xxx", the xxx being another section of the script. There you put what you want to happen the next time the player interacts with the object giving the badge.

You also seem to have the "disappear" command ing our script too. If you have the "disappear" command, and the sprite is going to be gone from the game forever, then it's pointless to have the "check flag" command. If you won't interact with the sprite again, you won't need to have a script defining your next interaction, right?

When you use the "disappear" command, you need to have another "set flag" after it. It can be any flag that is safe and isn't being used for something else. Once you have that, go to the "Person ID" in AdvanceMap (or it's equivalent in whatever you use) and change it to the flag that you set in the script. That way the sprite won't appear again one step later.

So in conclusion, pick either the "check flag" option OR the "disappear" option, but having both isn't needed.

(Also, it might help to use Dynamic Offsets if you're not already. I don't know, since your original script you posted doesn't have them.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2014
    Okay, I'm actually going to try to help instead of getting into pointless arguments about nothing.

I tried it in my PKSV and it compiled correctly, (no #RAWs all over the place).

That said, there are a couple things you should probably change.

After the "checkflag FR_BADGE_1", you should have a line that says "if true jump @xxx", the xxx being another section of the script. There you put what you want to happen the next time the player interacts with the object giving the badge.

You also seem to have the "disappear" command ing our script too. If you have the "disappear" command, and the sprite is going to be gone from the game forever, then it's pointless to have the "check flag" command. If you won't interact with the sprite again, you won't need to have a script defining your next interaction, right?

When you use the "disappear" command, you need to have another "set flag" after it. It can be any flag that is safe and isn't being used for something else. Once you have that, go to the "Person ID" in AdvanceMap (or it's equivalent in whatever you use) and change it to the flag that you set in the script. That way the sprite won't appear again one step later.

So in conclusion, pick either the "check flag" option OR the "disappear" option, but having both isn't needed.

(Also, it might help to use Dynamic Offsets if you're not already. I don't know, since your original script you posted doesn't have them.)
    Thanks for your help. And yea, it did have dynamic offsets, but i had compiled it already.

Back