• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platformer with a Open world aspect?

Whoomay

Hand me a bottle of Rum mate!
Years
  • I am looking for a 2D Platformer with an open world aspect with some action (something like Metroid) for Android or NDS or PSP. With "open world" I mean something with a big map what you can explore as you want it. Sorry for the lack of info lol.

Thank you.

pkmin3033

A game from the Castlevania series immediately springs to mind; there's a reason they call them "Metroidvania" titles - they have that open world platforming aspect you're looking for. On the DS, you can pick up Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. Of the three, I'd recommend starting with Portrait of Ruin - DoS has aggravating touch screen mechanics for boss battles, and OoE is absolutely brutal at times, so it's not the best to start with it. PoR is the comfortable middle ground - challenging but not unfairly so, no annoying gimmicky controls, and a passably good plot which crops up from time to time, and a relative degree of freedom to challenge the areas in whatever order.

If you've got a DS and not a 3DS, you could try the GBA titles as well. Aria of Sorrow is easily one of the best instalments in the franchise, and Harmony of Dissonance has an absolutely massive map. Circle of the Moon is just cruel, though; I wouldn't recommend starting with that one either.

You can pick up Symphony of the Night off the PSN for the PSP too, although whilst a lot of people claim it's the best one, I think the controls feel a bit dated; go with one of the DS versions and see what you make of it before going for this one~

Whoomay

Hand me a bottle of Rum mate!
    Years
  • A game from the Castlevania series immediately springs to mind; there's a reason they call them "Metroidvania" titles - they have that open world platforming aspect you're looking for. On the DS, you can pick up Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. Of the three, I'd recommend starting with Portrait of Ruin - DoS has aggravating touch screen mechanics for boss battles, and OoE is absolutely brutal at times, so it's not the best to start with it. PoR is the comfortable middle ground - challenging but not unfairly so, no annoying gimmicky controls, and a passably good plot which crops up from time to time, and a relative degree of freedom to challenge the areas in whatever order.

If you've got a DS and not a 3DS, you could try the GBA titles as well. Aria of Sorrow is easily one of the best instalments in the franchise, and Harmony of Dissonance has an absolutely massive map. Circle of the Moon is just cruel, though; I wouldn't recommend starting with that one either.

You can pick up Symphony of the Night off the PSN for the PSP too, although whilst a lot of people claim it's the best one, I think the controls feel a bit dated; go with one of the DS versions and see what you make of it before going for this one~

Well thank you! I have heard of the Castlevania series but did not know that it is a Platformer. Might try some of the installments for the NDS and GBA. I always have loved the Touchscreen controls on the NDS. And the simplicity of the GBA controls.

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
  • I don't know If you have steam, but Elsword is a good side scrolling game. I don't know about the "open world" aspect of it though. It's kind of like Pokemon. You get to do whatever you want like train on wild pokemon, which are like enemies on Elsword, and you have Gym leaders, like bosses in dungeons. You also have trainers, which is pvp in Elsword.

I guess you could say it's a hack and slash, open world(?) side scroller.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Guacamelee is an excellent Metroidvania platfirmer that I highly recommend. To me it sounds like it fits the description you wanted, as well as the fact that its on the PSP. I played the game earlierast year and Id have to say it was a great experience that I haven't gotten in a very long time. Plus there's a lot of video game pop culture references that makes it even more enjoyable. Here's a video of the game's trailer if you want to check it out.

Back