• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please help with my first online competitive team

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2020
    Hello everyone, I need hep with my team ( no particular format). So far I have 3 pokemon and I could use some help figuring out which pokemon to use for the last three slots. The 3 pokemon below are working great together so I want to make a team starting with them. I'm thinking maybe protean grenija for one of the 3 slots, please let me know what you guys think and please suggest pokemon for the remaining slots.
    Salamence@Salemenite (lead)
    Adamant
    4 hp/ 252 atk/ 252 spe
    -outrage
    -double edge
    -dragon dance
    -earthquake
    Sylveon@ Leftovers ( cleric/tank)
    Bold
    pixilate
    252 hp/ 220 def/ 36 spd
    -hyper voice
    - protect
    -wish
    -heal bell
    Metagross@ Assault Vest ( offensive tank)
    Adamant
    252 hp/ 252 atk/ 4 spd
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet punch
    -Hammer arm
    -Thunder Punch
    Any help ia grealty appreciated!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I would personally add a specially attacking speedy poke with switch initiative. Preferably choice specs or LO because you need something to hit harder.

Maybe gengar, but then you would have to watch out for ghost typing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2020
    Yeah I have a gengar already. I was thinking about him with a focus sash. The typing though you said interferes with Metagross but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. So along with gengar what about maybe grenija as well? I know that Grenija is weak to fariy but protean could help him.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It might be better to hold off on Gengar for a bit. It IS a good poke, but the shared Ghost and Dark weaknesses with Metagross isn't fun, especially given how good Dark and Ghost got as offensive types this gen. Greninja's faster and hits about as hard anyway.

It can get around its initial Fairy weakness with Protean+Gunk Shot. Maybe try a set like this:

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 44 Atk/212 SpA/252 Spe
    Hasty/Naive Nature
    -Ice Beam
    -Gunk Shot
    -Low Kick
    -Dark Pulse/Hydro Pump/Extrasensory/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Fire/some other special move could probably fit in here too

I also think that it'd be better to run a +Speed nature on Mega Salamence rather than Adamant. Even unboosted it hits really hard with Dragon STAB or Aerialated attacks, and going max Speed makes it so you can outspeed the plethora of base 110 Speed Pokemon common in 6th gen battles (as well as opposing Greninja after a Dragon Dance) without needing to Dragon Dance (though you'll wanna get a DD anyway, but not being absolutely dependent on a DD to outspeed the majority of the metagame is nice). Oh and Intimidate is the ability you want the base form to have.

I kinda don't like Outrage on it either but that's more just a personal thing so keep it if you want I guess.

You may want to have some sort of Ice counter since Mence doesn't like Ice. You need to be particularly careful of Sashed Weaviles and Mamoswines because those will live any of Mega Mence's attacks via the Focus Sash and they check Metagross, as well as Scarf Garchomp if it comes out before you get Dragon Dance up. Having something for Landorus-Therian is probably good too because iirc it's fairly common online and will annoy Salamence with its Intimidate and physical bulk.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2020
    Right now metagross has been great against ice but your right there are ice tyoes like weavile that can counter. what would be a good fire special hitter for this team? I was thinking of maybe Volcarona earlier but then there is the 4x rock weakness

I think I'll be foing with Grenija for my 4th slot so I just need help figure out which 2 pokemon would be good for the other two slots. just let me know if any of you have any good ideas for the other two. Thanks for the help btw!

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Right now metagross has been great against ice but your right there are ice tyoes like weavile that can counter. what would be a good fire special hitter for this team? I was thinking of maybe Volcarona earlier but then there is the 4x rock weakness

I think I'll be foing with Grenija for my 4th slot so I just need help figure out which 2 pokemon would be good for the other two slots. just let me know if any of you have any good ideas for the other two. Thanks for the help btw!

Volcarona or Heatran are good specially-based Fire Pokemon to turn to:

Volcarona:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Bug Buzz/Hidden Power (Ground)
    -Fire Blast
    -Giga Drain
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 72 HP/252 SAtk/184 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Passho Berry
    Ability: Flame Body

Heatran:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Lava Plume
    -Toxic
    -Taunt/Protect/Roar
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/192 SDef/68 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Magma Storm
    -Earth Power
    -Taunt
    -Toxic/Solar Beam
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon/Power Herb

or
    -Fire Blast
    -Flash Cannon/Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Earth Power
    -Stealth Rock
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Air Balloon

or
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Flash Cannon
    -Earth Power/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Stone Edge/Ancient Power
    EVs: 28 HP/252 SAtk/228 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Here's a better, less cramped take on mixed Greninja:
    -Hydro Pump/Low Kick
    -Ice Beam
    -Gunk Shot
    -Dark Pulse/Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Fire)/Extrasensory
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 44 Atk/212 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Protean

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2020
    yeah I was thinking of Heatran. Only bad thing is the ground type weakness but air balloon helps that. I'm thinking Heatran then plus I'm going to be catching him tommorrow in omega ruby. For Heatran do you think I should go the bulkier route or invest in speed? Again thanks for all the help guys!

Back