• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poems to help Memorize Types that are Strong/Weak

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    I haven't played long enough to even know them all but I was wondering if anyone has any mnemonic sayings or ways to remember which type is "super effective" against the others...

so far i've learned that electric is strong against flying and water type but is there a good saying to remember them all?

or tricks to remember what electric is weak against?

there is probably something in the game that says this and i just haven't found it yet.

anyway thanks for sharing any tips you may use to keep track

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Well, a lot of them are common sense ones, such as how water puts out fire, fire melts ice. But there are some weird ones that only exist so that the type match-ups are more balanced, like bug type being super-effective against psychic and dark.

So just think of most of them as being common sense things, and the rest you would have to "study" by playing the game enough and trying out different things. Of course, it helps if you know which type or types the pokemon are, and most of those are easy to tell by appearance, but some are deceptive (Sudowoodo, for one).

So yeah, better study up! ;D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I feel like I honestly have come up with rhymes or little sayings to help me remember these things. Bugs eats grass (Bug > Grass), ice frosts grass (Ice > Grass), poison taints grass (Poison > Grass), grass absorbs water (Grass > Water), etc. but these are really common sense ones. For the Bug > Psychic thing, I just think "bugs would mess up your train of thought." lol

Buizark

Always looking for an OU match
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2016
    I use sayings.
    "2 birds with 1 stone"
    "Brain over brawn"
    "Ice fills cracks in the ground"(Made up lol)
    "Have you ever tried to punch a bird?"

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    It just came to me overtime, while you're playing it helps to have a chart of the weaknesses/strengths on there and slowly it will begin to come to you. But the common sense ones (water>fire, fire>ice, eletric>water) are easily memorable.

But I do remember saying when something was x4, it was "Superior Effecterior"

I honestly don't know where my mind went to get that.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Honestly, the only reason I remember is because of experience. XD

Some of my favorite ones though:
    -The concept of martial artists breaking stone with their fists (Rock weak to Fighting and Fighting resists Rock)
    - Electrical currents can be grounded and nullfied (Ground immune to Electric and Electric weak to Ground)
    - Metal can be smelted (Steel weak to Fire and fire resists Steel)

Years
  • I know on Serebii there is a type chart available for you to look at, it has listed every pokemon type possible listed and every attack type listed to see what is effective against what.
    That will help you study up, the rest you just learn as you go along.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I use sayings.
    "2 birds with 1 stone"
    "Brain over brawn"
    "Ice fills cracks in the ground"(Made up lol)
    "Have you ever tried to punch a bird?"

LOL at the last one! :cer_laugh: But yeah, the first 2 tend to come to mind when battling.

Another tip I picked up on TVTropes is that Psychic's weaknesses are the three seemingly most common phobias of humans: bugs, darkness, and (supposedly) ghosts. As phobias/fears tend to interfere with the natural processes of the mind, Bug>Psychic, Dark>Psychic, and Ghost>Psychic. I thought that was a pretty neat way to remember/analyze those specific type matchups.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Just play longer. It gets into your head eventually if you just play (particularly with sound ON so you hear the sound that a super effective/neutral/not very effective hit makes) and get used to it. :D I mean, whenever I think of a move on a Pokemon, the effectiveness instantly comes to mind (with a sound to boot!) and I've only played a few years.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'd have to agree with the above.

I studied up a tiny bit to compound my knowledge for competitive battling....but that's left me still knowing everything I did before, and the only thing I ever get confused by is Poison, as I hardly ever get attacked by that, or use those attacks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It took me a while to get the type advantages/disadvantages stuck in my head, so I don't really need a poem/song to help me memorize them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Look man, I've been playing since generation 1 and I still haven't learned every single one... It takes forever...

Back