• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Pokéman FR/LG: Research on the wildpoké pointer routine.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Hi!
    When researching for my tool called PokéDAN, I found a routine, that is used to get the address to the wildpokémon data. It's called everytime you encouter a wild battle. I've hacked this routine to create day / night specific encounters. I think, that some pretty cool stuff can be done hacking these routines.. It can be found (gamecode specific) at the following adresses.

BPRD: 0x82a50
    BPRE: 0x82aec
    BPGD: 0x82a24
    BPGE: 0x82ac0

Parameters (that I found so far):

r0 = contains the address minus four of the pointer (to the wildpokémon data).
    r1 = battle type ( 0 = grass, idk the others..)

Hacking this routine is very easy, once you know what parameters it takes.
    But for I'll give you an example, of how it can be do. The following code was adapted from my day / night encounter routine..

If we take a look at the routine, we find code that looks like this:
    Code:
    push {r4-r7, lr} @ save registers r4 .. r7 and lr
    mov r7, r8  @ r7 == r8
    push {r7}  @ save r7
    mov r7, r0  @ r7 == r0 NOTE: r7 now contains the first parameter
    lsl r1, r1, #0x18  @ this code basically..
    lsr r1, r1, #0x18  @ .. ensures that r1 is not bigger than 255 (one byte)
    mov r0, r1  @ r0 == r1 NOTE: r0 cannot be used anymore to read or modify the first parameter! USE r7!
    lsl r2, r2, #0x18

Because there is no address specific code in this part, we can replace it with some code that jumps to our own routine. But make sure to NOT replace the first command ("push {r4-r7, lr}")!! This is important because we want to get the link register properly saved! In our custom routine we will then execute the code we've overwritten.

Place this hook @ address of the routine
    Code:
    .align 2 
    .thumb  
    .global main 

main: 
    push {r4-r7, lr}  @ this is basically the first command, we don't want to get overwritten ;)
    push {r0}  @save r0
    ldr r0, .pointer  @ r0 == address of custom routine
    bx r0  @ jump to r0
    pop {r0}  @ restore r0
    b .exit_hook  @ resume execution of the routine
    .align 2 
    .pointer: 
    .word 0x08802001 @ address of our custom routine + 1. replace if you put it at any other location
    .exit_hook:

Then we'll write our custom routine.
    Code:
    .align 2 
    .thumb 

entry: 
    pop {r0}  @ restore r0

original: @ this is the code we replaced ..  look above for an explanation..
    mov r7, r8 
    push {r7} 
    mov r7, r0 
    lsl r1, r1, #0x18 
    lsr r1, r1, #0x18 
    mov r0, r1 
    lsl r2, r2, #0x18 

main:  
    push {r0-r6}  @ save r0 .. r6

@ inside here we can put our custom code
    @ we can change r7 to make the game loading the wildpokémon address from some other pointer.
    @ but keep in mind, that the pointer must be substracted by 4. Why?
    @ because the routine is loading the address from r7 + 4!

pop {r0-r6} @ restore r0 .. r6
    push {r0} @ save r0
    ldr r0, .return  @ r0 = return address
    bx r0 @ jump to r0

.align 2 
    .return: 
    .word 0x08082A59 @ this is the return address. It must be adjusted to the address of the original routine + 9.

That's it ! I'm already working on a bigger project than my day / night encounter, that will allow you to change the wildpokémon data using XSE scripting. this will make my system very dynamic.

Please excuse any grammer mistakes! I'm german and trying my best to master your language.
    Greetz hack!osa

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    Anyone know, where the tread that discussing about PKSV UI ?
    Iam the newbie hacker :/

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2016
    well thanks for the info but, it's possible to make a custom rutine wich make pokemons like safari zone in x/y (this pokemons always have 2 or 3 ivs 31), how can i do this?

Back