• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokémon Alexandrite (1.1.7) - 16DEC2022

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Pokémon Alexandrite (1.1.7) - 16DEC2022

Welcome to the development thread for Pokémon Alexandrite (formerly known as Pokémon Cardinal).

This is a solo project where development began in August of 2019.

Game Trailer

Features
    • 402 Acquirable Pokémon with 63 alternate Forms/Mega-Evolutions
    • Including 10 completely original Pokémon
    • Handpicked Pokédex with mon's from generations 1 through 8 with an tilt towards generations 1-4.
    • New mega-evolutions
    • Rich gameplay featuring a full 8 gyms with elite 4 taking you from level 5 to 62.
    • Additional gameplay elements including: Crafting System, VS Seeker, Triple Triad card clubs and booster packs!
    • Steady difficulty curve with dynamic gyms featuring dual typing or themes instead of traditional monotyping.
    • Diverse route encounters with 3-5 unique Pokémon per route.
    • Many small side quests with story or item rewards.
    • Quality of Life improvements including: EXP candy, Nature Mints, Quicksaving, Speedup, DexNav, Party+Bag menu, and more!
    • Featuring the Pokémon Trainer's Club for convenient EV training and IV vitamins to get the perfect mons' without the need to tediously breed if the player desires them.
    • Player's own Berry Farm to grown Berries and Apricorns!
    • MKXP-z for high performance on faster computers (v19.1 Essentials)
    • An original story including original characters about the ventures of Team Rocket in the Cardino Region.
    • A massive world to explore featuring over 190 maps utilizing both original Generation 3 tilesets and Ekat's plus custom tile edits.
    • Four difficulty modes for a truly tailored experience all the way from classic "Nintendo" mode to Challenge mode!
    • Complete with (optional) level-cap and item restrictions, gyms are balanced to this cap and will provide a difficult but fair experience.
    • Numerous popular plugins many with customized graphics to fit a consistent UI theme.
    • Welsh's Modern Quest System, Modern Crafting System, Encounter UI
    • Gela's message box
    • Luka's EBDX, Randomizer, Nuzlocke, and Modular Title Screen
    • Voltseon's Pause Menu
    • PurpleZaffre's MassBerryPicker (Available on the Berry Farm)
    • The full BW UI suite from DeepBlue PacificWaves et. al.
    • And Much More!

Story
    Pokémon Alexandrite takes place before Gurkinn's research of Mega Evolution, well before it is understood and researched by Pokémon guru's around the world. The story follows the adventure of our protagonist's progression in Cardino's Pokémon League. They attempt to acquire 8 badges and eventually challenge the Elite Four and Champion much along the vein of a traditional Pokémon adventure. Along the way there will be conflict with Team Rocket and their influences across the Cardino Region, the story revolves around the impacts of these actions by Rocket and the player's role in protecting the region alongside their father Prof. Yew and their close friend Brett. Players will discover the impact of these changes and the character developments alongside it with variances in the development and story based on the player's actions.

Images
    Spoiler:

Development
    The game is considered "complete" future updates will be bug fixes and small features.

Discord Link
    Game Reference Document (Readme)

Download
    Upgrading a save from old versions you MUST follow the instructions below!

Spoiler:

ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR SAVE BEFORE UPGRADING.

1.1.7 Release(362MB)
    Game Reference Document (Readme)

Credits
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Update: Released Hotfixes 1.0 for version 0.9.2
    Hotfixes 1.0 (0.9.2)
    Fixes a crash in the 8th gym dialogue
    Fixes the map connections for Gold Sea (Coral Island)

To install you need to overwrite the files in your data folder.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hi! I only just reached Seafoam City, but I'm really liking this game already!
    I do have a bug to report though: I talked to the sailor in Seafoam City who offers you a bike in exchange for defeating the gym leader and an error popped up that read "Script 'Main' line 14: RuntimeError occured. Traceback is too big. Output in traceback.log". When I clicked the "okay" button on the error message my game crashed.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The Meowth starter has the Alolan Meowth sprite but in-game and in battle it's actually regular Meowth, I don't know if it's just an issue with sprites being mixed up or if this regional variant isn't working yet as intended.

Can't say much other than that because I just started playing the game to give it a try. It looks visually nice and the UI is great, also loving that there's cool modern features such as Nature Mints, early relearner, ability capsules, and many more it seems. And thanks for the refference documents as well :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hi! I only just reached Seafoam City, but I'm really liking this game already!
    I do have a bug to report though: I talked to the sailor in Seafoam City who offers you a bike in exchange for defeating the gym leader and an error popped up that read "Script 'Main' line 14: RuntimeError occured. Traceback is too big. Output in traceback.log". When I clicked the "okay" button on the error message my game crashed.

Update: I talked to the sailor after earning the badge. He congratulated me on earning the badge and tells me I earned his bike - implying that my previous conversation with him still happened despite the crash - and the same error as before popped up and crashed my game again. Besides that, I'm still enjoying the game! All the extra features are cool and the graphics look really nice as well!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Hotfix has been issued to fix the sailor quest and another quest with the same issue,
    Sorry for the inconvienience.

Updated download link for hotfixes in main post.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2022
    absolutely loving this game. Could you please provide some guidance on how to get alolan raichu?

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    game crashes when i talk to the sailor in seafoam town. the one that will give you his bike if you beat the gym leader.

Script 'Main' line 14:RuntimeError occured.
    Traceback is too big. Output in treceback.log

is the error i get

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    game crashest
    You need to install the hotfixes, this has already been patched.
    After you install them you need to leave the seafoam city map and come back to it, you can go in and out of the Pokemon Center to do this.

Alolan Raichu is only obtainable as a wild Pokemon, you can find them near Soul City (7th badge).

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The Meowth starter has the Alolan Meowth sprite but in-game and in battle it's actually regular Meowth, I don't know if it's just an issue with sprites being mixed up or if this regional variant isn't working yet as intended.

Can't say much other than that because I just started playing the game to give it a try. It looks visually nice and the UI is great, also loving that there's cool modern features such as Nature Mints, early relearner, ability capsules, and many more it seems. And thanks for the refference documents as well :)

This is probably an issue with the new starter script I put in, I'll make sure to get it fixed for the next version.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Update: Released version 0.9.3

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Update: Released Hotfixes 1 for 0.9.3
    -Fixes Pokémon not learning new moves when leveling up using EXP Candy.

Please see the first post for the most up to date Hotfixes download.

I normally wouldn't release such a small hotfix but I think this one is necessary because it prevents using EXP candy which could force someone to grind unnecessarily.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2022
    So far I've noticed that

Ability capsules dont actually change the ability.

Also thief does not steal items from wild pokemon.

Fun game so far!

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    downloaded the newest fix and got this error

Script '[Elite Battle: DX] EBDX Wrapper.rb' line 85: TypeError occured.

Can't convert String into Bitmap

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Released Hotfixes 1.1 for 0.9.3
    -Fixes a possible interaction which makes it difficult for the player to progress in the Lab after the 6th Gym.
    (NPC dialogue would not display, which reminded the player what they needed to do)

(Updated main post)

@IceRK9 : Thank you for the reports I will investigate.
    @WolfffRoxx : I need more information, what were you doing, where were you, who/what were you battling, what pokemon were you using/fighting also the complete error message is needed not just the first line of it, I have no idea of the circumstances which cause this crash.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Ability capsules dont actually change the ability.
    Also thief does not steal items from wild pokemon.

I've fixed the ability capsules and they will be functional in the next version when it is released.
    I tested thief internally and I did not notice any problems it stole a repel from a bulbasaur in a test battle, are you certain the Pokémon you fought actually had an item, what was the scenario?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I got past 2nd gym and I'm liking the game so far. Maps are well made, progression has a good flow, battles have a nice art style and are dynamic with fast animations, the UI and several features are very cool. And I love to see bigger back sprites, don't know why many fan games use the super tiny back sprites that make your Pokémon look smaller than the opponents' and just look bad 😃

Some feedback based on what I've played so far:
    -Wild rate encounter seems too high, especially in caves. I went through the cave West of Seafoam City without repels and it can get very annoying with wild Pokémon sometimes appearing after 2-3 steps.
    -First town's shop that sells Nature mints is missing some of them, like the Modest mint. I don't know whether this is an oversight or it's intentional and the other mints are available later at another point in the game.
    -Since you replaced the Cut HM with an item (which is wonderful, since HMs aren't very popular these days), it would be also great if Flash could get a similar treatment. Although it's not an HM, it's still necessary for at least two early game areas.
    -No idea how hard this is to implement, but BGM loop would be a nice touch.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2022
    I've fixed the ability capsules and they will be functional in the next version when it is released.
    I tested thief internally and I did not notice any problems it stole a repel from a bulbasaur in a test battle, are you certain the Pokémon you fought actually had an item, what was the scenario?

Yeah, if even said the message "Kingler stole tiny mushroom from foongus" checked kingler after and there was nothing, maybe it's certain items only? ill try again to be sure

Edit: seems to work now for some reason. i swear the text showed up though a few days ago haha.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Thanks for the kind words.

I will look into reducing the encounter rates for the caves, I agree they're a little high, I did actually copy the vanilla encounter rates but I think my caves are much larger than the original games.

I left out the nature mints which don't have stat changes, I must have missed Modest in an oversight and I'll get that corrected in the next version.

Cut and Rocksmash got item replacements but I left HMs in for Fly, Surf, and made Flash a TM, since these moves are somewhat useful I wanted to leave them in the game. I think that Flash being a TM is enough because you can simply replace it with another TM move once you're done in the area, although I do think you have a point, I will see how difficult it might be to implement an item for flash. Waterfall isn't in the game, and Strength was right out removed cause I didn't think it was necessary.

BGM loops are possible with something called FMod, I don't know if it's supported in 19.1 or how difficult it would be to implement but I can look into it for the full release 1.0
    --edit: You are saying that BGM should continue from where it was after a battle right? Or were you suggesting something else.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Back