• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Approved: Pokémon Battling Tournaments

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Checklist
    tournament concept
    battling rules
    thread design - me
    emblems - nica
    other prizes
    different tournament names
    done

Competitive:
    Spoiler:
    Casual:
    Spoiler:
    Old post:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    HI WOLF I'm slow! So basically three threads? idk I think it could work out fine if they just asked via PM/VM which is what they do for egg swap (plus if they battle alot then their post count could rise significantly XD;) But sounds fine with a seperate thread for each, though.

And uhhhh for the different tournament names it could be like, the Competitive Battling Showdown (including PS in the name !) and casual... no clueee. Unless you meant just an overall one because if so I have no ideas right now. :(

oh and I call emblems then !

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    HI WOLF I'm slow! So basically three threads? idk I think it could work out fine if they just asked via PM/VM which is what they do for egg swap (plus if they battle alot then their post count could rise significantly XD;) But sounds fine with a seperate thread for each, though.
    All past Wi-Fi tournaments used one thread for signing up, posting battle results, and finding battles. PMing sounds inconvenient because 1) they'll have to look through the participants list, then check each member to see if one of them is online (sounds tedious to me), and 2) even if one of them is online, that doesn't mean they're not busy and willing to battle. So even if one PMs a user, there's a chance they'll not even be able to battle. Not using the thread simply because of post count seems silly to me. Also, doesn't egg swap threads end up having the highest post count of any other GT events (like ~1,000)? That seems more ++post count than anything.

I did have one idea though; both tournaments could use the PS server as a chatroom to find, ask, and schedule battles. I scrapped the idea because some people have issues with PS apparently (?) and the server isn't very reliable.

And uhhhh for the different tournament names it could be like, the Competitive Battling Showdown (including PS in the name !) and casual... no clueee. Unless you meant just an overall one because if so I have no ideas right now. :(
    I'll just go with "Casual Battling Tournament" for Wi-Fi, and "Competitive Battling Tournament" for PS. By the way, might be a good idea to edit in "Casual Battling Tournament" to the PCX event listing since they're technically different events.

Also, to put more of an emphasis on the Wi-Fi tour being casual, the goal of the tournament would be to battle as much as possible. Whereas, for competitive it's "win as much as possible." Basically, in the casual tour battlers will receive points every time they complete a battle regardless if they won or not. That effectively removes the competitive nature from the casual tour. It also prevents people from using "competitive teams" to win the casual tour, since there isn't a way to prevent people from using stuff like EV trained Pokémon.

So, for emblems I was thinking (titles aren't official):

Participant (for both casual and competitive)
    Requirements: Battle more than 5 times (enough to be considered a participant and as someone who contributed to the tour).

Casual Tour Winner
    Requirements: Battle more than 15 times (not sure about the battle amount, but 15 sounds about right).

Competitive Tour Winner
    Requirements: Be one of the top three users who have the most points.

There's still room for more "side" emblems like one for battling a ridiculous amount or one for playing in a bunch of tiers.

Oh, and we need a Pokémon "mascot" to use for thread design and emblems. Maybe a Pokémon that has two branch evolutions? Like Politoed for casual, Poliwrath for competitive, and Poliwag for participant emblem? And use Poliwhirl or shiny forms for the "extra" emblems if we have any.

(sorry if this is too tl;dr tee-hee!)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Reviving sorry I thought I replied. :( I know I replied to the VM but I wanted to add one other thing though, Politoed and Poliwrath should probably be reversed given a lot of the people in the competitive category will be using Politoed and rain. Small technicality, ofc. Also should we each make one of the categories to update and stuff (so the competitive & casual threads, but we can still answer general questions in either of them?)

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Politoed looks more carefree and suits "casual" battling more, while Poliwrath looks all aggressive and such. It will probably look weird if they were switched because of that.

I agree on both of us posting one of the threads. I can post the casual tour, since that will likely have more battles to update.

Also, working on the thread designs at the moment; will update this soon.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Hopefully no one minds if I double post. Here's the first post for the casual tour. I decided to go ahead and make it since we only have a few days left until the PCX starts. I can replace the Politoed with Poliwrath if we end up using it instead. I still need to look over and make sure I didn't forget anything, but it's complete for the most part. Also, I will have the competitive tour finished tomorrow since I'm tired. Imma probably post some emblem ideas tomorrow too.

Spoiler:
    Thoughts? I apologize if it's a bit bland; I haven't used Photoshop in ages. But I think it'll be good enough.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Looking sexy Wolf - it's all good :)

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Here's the competitive tour design. I think everything is complete for it, except for the battle server links (which will link to a thread that I'm making soon). Also, I changed the bonus point amount to simply 1 extra point for the Ubers, UU, RU, and NU tiers. Originally I had some older generation tiers added, but PS doesn't have any of them implemented yet.

<snip>

As for emblem ideas... We could have something for people who have battled like ~25 times (I doubt anyone will battle that much!). Or an emblem for users who have battled in more than ~2-3 tiers (I really like that one). That one probably wouldn't work for the casual tour though. Or just stick with the usual three emblems.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Looks so nice, you make me jealous of your skill. :( As for the emblems you could have the 25 one for casual and the tiers one for competitive so there's an equal amount of emblems. Also one extra thing maybe for competitive, perhaps winner gets voice or something on the server, idk.

edit:

Participant
    Pokémon Battling Tournaments

Competitive

Casual

Only did the three and even so idk about them. ;(

Also are we participating as a way for people to gain extra points or?

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Actually I changed my mind, I think we can just stick with three emblems. 25 battles is a lot for Wi-Fi. The winner for the last Wi-Fi GT tournament only battled like 14 times. And we already encourage playing different tiers with the bonus points, which gives them a pretty big advantage. I'm fine with giving out voice to the one who has the most points though. We could also ask a trader if we could use a Pokémon for the Wi-Fi prize. And yeah, I don't see a problem with us participating. However, I don't think we should be count as a winner if that happens.

Also, here's the line-free version of Poliwrath!

Edit: Moved the thread designs to the first post.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I wasn't thinking of counting us as winners, anyway. Right now calling for a trade mod to get them to agree to giving away a Pokemon and then we're all done, yeah? (I'll add the approval prefix as soon as that's agreed to + if you can't think of anything else!)

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Nica asked, or more like demanded, one of us TC mods to RNG a Pokémon as a prize for the casual tournament. She request a Politoed to match with the theme, and I already bred one for Shiny Pokémon Raffle, so if you guys want it you can have it. I'll just breed something else...

Poliwag Lv.1

Nature: Modest
    Ability: Swift Swim
    IVs: 31 / 30 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 31 [HP
    70]
    Moves: Water Sport | Encore | Ice Ball
    OT: PCX | ID: 00010​

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I was going to say that simply having emblems would be fine, but thanks! I'll add it to the first post along with the "voice" promotion prize for competitive. I think we're ready for the PCX now.

Edit: Done.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    kay added approved status, imma post mine now n_n

Back