• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    no 4th gen phys/spec split? I can get why you'd not want to do that but for my game when I tried to apply the patch for that feature separately the game ended up crashing. Did you intentionally make it so no one can apply an extra feature? I can understand you not wanting people to do that, but for those of us that like having most pokemon actually be usable (Sneasle, Mightyena, Blaziken, ect) this seems unnecessarily cruel.
    Well to be fair you can't get Mightyena and Blaziken in this game... (Unless I missed that part?) and truth be told it is only cruel depending on what side of the fence you are on, alot of pokemon lose alot of viability in the second gen theme after the split because the elemental punches are gone from being special attacks (Alakazam and Gengar are 2 good examples of this) I personally would prefer the split, but without seeing a way to teach Flamethrower//Boltbeam (Don't know if that has been implemented, even still if it's crystal accurate it would still be a giant pain in the ass) the punches are a good substitute.
    However, with that being said... I do have a few questions though....
    This is a 3rd gen remake, with abilities, new DV system ect we all know that, but are the moves that became available during third gen via TMs be available in a final release? (Moves like Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Overheat, Water Pulse, to name a few) or will that be something that is nonexistent?
    Will you recreate items that existed in the second gen but not further generations (The only one I can think of off hand is Berserk Gene) and will any 3rd gen items become available (Macho brace, ect)?
    This was probably asked and you probably already answered it, but never searched for it (lol), but will it be a more complete game like how HG/SS was (For example, a safari zone, Cerulean cave, the various features that got cut due to time//space constraints).
    And the final one, will there be a post Kanto (Or Sevii islands) enhancement to the Elite 4 like in FR/LG? It seemed kinda lame in the originals that even though you beat the Kanto gyms, and Red, that the only good place to train was the E4, who didn't even break level 50....

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    no 4th gen phys/spec split? I can get why you'd not want to do that but for my game when I tried to apply the patch for that feature separately the game ended up crashing. Did you intentionally make it so no one can apply an extra feature? I can understand you not wanting people to do that, but for those of us that like having most pokemon actually be usable (Sneasle, Mightyena, Blaziken, ect) this seems unnecessarily cruel.

I think you made mistakes while trying to implement it. I indeed played myself crystal dust with the split and everything worked fine. Just do it correctly

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think you made mistakes while trying to implement it. I indeed played myself crystal dust with the split and everything worked fine. Just do it correctly

I applied a lips patch made by doesn'tknowhowtoplay, is that not how its done for this?

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • Does anybody know - is this hack 100% playable? Can I get all the way to the last battle with Red? This is sort of exactly what I'm looking for because I don't like Liquid Crystal. I don't like that you're required to do certain side quests in that game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2020
    Does anybody know - is this hack 100% playable? Can I get all the way to the last battle with Red? This is sort of exactly what I'm looking for because I don't like Liquid Crystal. I don't like that you're required to do certain side quests in that game.

Well since it's been a while since I played this hack, I can say it goes up to either Clair or Pryce.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Does anybody know - is this hack 100% playable? Can I get all the way to the last battle with Red? This is sort of exactly what I'm looking for because I don't like Liquid Crystal. I don't like that you're required to do certain side quests in that game.

It ends after the elite four.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2017
    Hey people, I just recently downloaded Crystal Dust and as far as I went, I'm very satisfied with it. But there was one thing I noticed, that was that time-based events don't occur in the game. And as such I wanted to be aware if that was a normal occurance, and if not, what I can potentially miss out if I keep on playing the game in these conditions.
    Thank you in advance !

Silent Protagonist

Looking for Feebas on Route 31
    Years
  • Ugh... Marills should be found in Mt. Mortar, right? And they were on Route 42 (the mountain is on it) and Route 30 in Gold/Silver, correct? 'Cause, you see, I can't find any wild Marill... The more, in Pokedex (some trainer must have had one) on Marill when I click "Area" tab, it shows me the place right to Mt Mortar or the mountain (depends on where I am at the moment). Though when I looked up in other not caught Pokemon entries, it said area is unknown.

So, did someone found a wild Marill in the newest version? I have enough of Gyarados and Goldeen.... :c

AF13unown

My english is bad xD
    Years
  • Ugh... Marills should be found in Mt. Mortar, right? And they were on Route 42 (the mountain is on it) and Route 30 in Gold/Silver, correct? 'Cause, you see, I can't find any wild Marill... The more, in Pokedex (some trainer must have had one) on Marill when I click "Area" tab, it shows me the place right to Mt Mortar or the mountain (depends on where I am at the moment). Though when I looked up in other not caught Pokemon entries, it said area is unknown.

So, did someone found a wild Marill in the newest version? I have enough of Gyarados and Goldeen.... :c

try surfing

Hououin Kyouma

Epic Ringo Face
    Years
  • Does anyone know which version of Emerald you are supose to use patch the game with because when I patch the game it just crashes or shows a white screen : /

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • is this hack dead?

It's hard to tell. The hack was started like 5 years ago but I see that the creator last updated his original post December 2014... and the bottom of the original post does say that all that remains is to finish some parts of Kanto and that it is planned to eventually be released. If anyone has any more info on the continuation of this hack, please post it here!

Hououin Kyouma

Epic Ringo Face
    Years
  • It's hard to tell. The hack was started like 5 years ago but I see that the creator last updated his original post December 2014... and the bottom of the original post does say that all that remains is to finish some parts of Kanto and that it is planned to eventually be released. If anyone has any more info on the continuation of this hack, please post it here!

I'm pretty sure the creator at least hasn't abandoned the hack because on his website he still posts things about it as well as answer questions.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • i love playing crystal dust,when you start beta 3?
    Beta 3 will come out when it's ready, not a moment sooner or later.
    What about other langs like Japanese or Spain or Italy or Germany or France? Or do you this Project alone sorry for the other lang answer if you work this project alone

Translation of a game, especially one that is not finished yet, takes a long time. You should not expect a translation but it could happen :)
    It won't happen soon if at all, especially considering splitting an in-development hack into multiple languages would be a huge pain.
    Hello. I guess the locations of Pokemon in the hack are the same as in the original Crystal, right? Because I really want a Girafarig but I couldn't trade it from my Emerald... If it's already in, can someone tell me where? If they're not yet, can you please Diego put the Johto Pokemon not included in the original Crystal somewhere in Johto? (I've read you're planning to include all the Pokemon but since Girafarig or Mareep are from Johto they should be there, huh? :D) I hope it could be done. It'll be put in, just like all the rest.

Keep up the good work Diego, this hack rocks! Thanks for your work! (Btw. in CrystalDust I found my first shiny - Caterpie and then Tyrogue hached from the egg also appeared to be shiny, so... It makes your game better than others :D)

Edit: How about Move Reminder? I know he didn't exist in gen II but well, he'd be very useful! Because I forgot to take my Onix from Day Care and since trading to other game is almost impossible, y'know... :( He'll be added in, probably in Kanto.
    Also, it's minor but what about making Leader Green's sprite more like from II gen? (I'm talking about the shoot seen in the video with battle music.) Because with his sprite from FR/LG he really doesn't look like this special last leader of gyms of Kanto but a rude, over self-assure kid. I suppose drawing sprites takes some time (maybe I could help if I could draw digitally c":) but if you'd find it and felt like making it, it'd be really cool! I know it's confusing but the videos with CrystalDust music and a screenshot aren't representative of CrystalDust at all; they're just something Adam likes to do.
    Responses in bold.
    wow diesgo you are awesome. This hack is very nice looking {:3}
    will beta 3 be compatible with beta2? This would be very great !

wbr Murderlinez
    You mean with Beta 2 saves? No, it won't be, because forcing people to start fresh with each major version increase offers numerous benefits over including weird methods to "upgrade" saves.
    Just finished the E4 in this hack, still looking for Heracross :( I am also gonna give a +1 on the move relearner idea but overall I like it. One of my only complaints is the lack of Mareep, I know it wasn't in crystal but I woulda loved running through the game with an Ampharos. For me it is nice to have a Crystal experience, because I never played through the original Crystal version(I've done Soulsilver, gold and regular silver though).
    Looking forward to the beta 3, and considering you were talking about the Sevii Islands, I am seriously interested in what you have planned for those, because in FR/LG it felt like they were just thrown in and incomplete, I'm hoping you don't do a copy paste job on em and really make them interesting and worth running through.
    I'm hoping I'll be able to make it interesting enough for everyone!
    I never implemented any sort of "security measure" to prevent people from modifying anything within the game. You're free to modify it however you'd like as long as you don't try to rerelease it as your own thing. It sounds like it was just a conflict of patches.
    Well to be fair you can't get Mightyena and Blaziken in this game... (Unless I missed that part?) and truth be told it is only cruel depending on what side of the fence you are on, alot of pokemon lose alot of viability in the second gen theme after the split because the elemental punches are gone from being special attacks (Alakazam and Gengar are 2 good examples of this) I personally would prefer the split, but without seeing a way to teach Flamethrower//Boltbeam (Don't know if that has been implemented, even still if it's crystal accurate it would still be a giant pain in the ass) the punches are a good substitute.
    However, with that being said... I do have a few questions though....
    This is a 3rd gen remake, with abilities, new DV system ect we all know that, but are the moves that became available during third gen via TMs be available in a final release? (Moves like Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Overheat, Water Pulse, to name a few) or will that be something that is nonexistent? I have to think about how I'd implement these items. Maybe a move tutor?
    Will you recreate items that existed in the second gen but not further generations (The only one I can think of off hand is Berserk Gene) and will any 3rd gen items become available (Macho brace, ect)? Depends on how important and feasible the 2nd gen items are, and I'll possibly add 3rd gen items in places where they'd make sense to go.
    This was probably asked and you probably already answered it, but never searched for it (lol), but will it be a more complete game like how HG/SS was (For example, a safari zone, Cerulean cave, the various features that got cut due to time//space constraints). I want to keep it accurate but at the same time I understand that a lot of people want a more fleshed-out Kanto than Crystal gave. When it comes to it, I'll have to decide what I'll ultimately do, but for now assume that I'm going to err on the side of accuracy.
    And the final one, will there be a post Kanto (Or Sevii islands) enhancement to the Elite 4 like in FR/LG? It seemed kinda lame in the originals that even though you beat the Kanto gyms, and Red, that the only good place to train was the E4, who didn't even break level 50.... Probably, that seemed kind of weird to me too when I played Crystal for the first time.
    Responses in bold.
    is this hack dead?
    Nope!
    Hey people, I just recently downloaded Crystal Dust and as far as I went, I'm very satisfied with it. But there was one thing I noticed, that was that time-based events don't occur in the game. And as such I wanted to be aware if that was a normal occurance, and if not, what I can potentially miss out if I keep on playing the game in these conditions.
    Thank you in advance !
    Turn on the real-time clock in VBA's settings in Options > Emulator.
    Ugh... Marills should be found in Mt. Mortar, right? And they were on Route 42 (the mountain is on it) and Route 30 in Gold/Silver, correct? 'Cause, you see, I can't find any wild Marill... The more, in Pokedex (some trainer must have had one) on Marill when I click "Area" tab, it shows me the place right to Mt Mortar or the mountain (depends on where I am at the moment). Though when I looked up in other not caught Pokemon entries, it said area is unknown.

You can find Marills at night in Crystal, so they're not available yet in CrystalDust as I haven't implemented time-based Pokémon encounters yet.
    Does anyone know which version of Emerald you are supose to use patch the game with because when I patch the game it just crashes or shows a white screen : /
    Make sure that in Options > Emulator > Save type, Flash 128K is selected.
    Make sure you have a USA version? also you may want to try another rom source.

Also just wanted to say I love this hack.
    Thank you!
    It's hard to tell. The hack was started like 5 years ago but I see that the creator last updated his original post December 2014... and the bottom of the original post does say that all that remains is to finish some parts of Kanto and that it is planned to eventually be released. If anyone has any more info on the continuation of this hack, please post it here!
    Hey, I have some info: it's being continued!
    Is this gonna have Celebi in it?
    Yup!

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • Was your other hack actually discontinued? And how far does it actually go in Kanto? I have 9 gym-badges in Liquid Crystal and I'm planning to play Crystal Dust once I've completed the other one to compare which one if the best in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2015
    I found a bug or glitch diego and it has made my life miserable upon destroying team rocket trying to liberate the radio tower in goldenrod city i came across a puzzle with switches that open certain doors... Simple right? Well halfway through i saved and powered off and came back to the game with the door i entered through to be closed and i cannot escape !!! I have tried everything pressing A on the doors escape rope dig fly all not available methods of escape please help me diego your my only hope.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I found a bug or glitch diego and it has made my life miserable upon destroying team rocket trying to liberate the radio tower in goldenrod city i came across a puzzle with switches that open certain doors... Simple right? Well halfway through i saved and powered off and came back to the game with the door i entered through to be closed and i cannot escape !!! I have tried everything pressing A on the doors escape rope dig fly all not available methods of escape please help me diego your my only hope.

Fear not! These types of bugs happen, though they're a royal pain. Do you have some savestates? If not, your best bet is to use cheat codes (Emerald cheat codes may work, I honestly don't know) to warp/Teleport/Fly/Dig/etc. to get yourself out of there.

If you didn't use any savestates, you're unfortunately stuck. I hope Diego takes a look at Goldenrod so this doesn't happen again.

Be careful and always have backup saves.

Back