• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    Sorry guys - been sometime since I have been active around here. I bet many of you were expecting a reply message of some sort and didn't get one. Well, I could have commented sooner since I have been lurking around every now and then, but been mostly lazy. But at least now I'm about to comment to some posts which I feel like are still relevant.

Also, what comes to the problems with downloadlinks being down, there is now a solution to that of which solution can be found by scrolling down to the bottom of this message :)

First of all merry after Christmas everybody and happy early new year, don't mean too be such an intruder here but how is the game going?????????????
    Happy new year to you too (although over a month late)!
    Haven't really worked on it lately - that's all I can really say. I may have more time soon during the Spring and Summer, but not sure yet. I don't know yet how much I will be working during the summer and how much work there will be in university until May.

Hey Miksky, absolutely love that hack and finished all the sidequests, but there is one thing I can't find. That one thing being the NPC you talk to after finishing 5 sidequests. I have searched everywhere, and when I say everywhere, I mean everywhere. Is it possible that you could give me just a little hint where the NPC is? Even a general town/route or a side of the map would help. Also this is my first post on this forum (I think?), but I probably won't come here often, so happy NotReallyANew Year!

You have probably figured it out by now (or given up trying to find it out), but in case you still want to know, go to the upper floor of a PC and talk to the man behind the desk. He will tell you something interesting.

And thanks for the kind words! :)

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't think I'll try to do anything about it though, but it I'll probably try to mention more clearly in the game, where the hack can be officially downloaded from and the fact that it can be gotten for free that way.

And apparently that site is down now :) I happened to check it out sometime after you had commented when it was still up.

Can someone tell me what is the last quest ?
    Depends on which ones you have completed. You could try to use google or search in this thread to find a solution to what you're missing too though.

Hellloooooooo do you remember me?? hmm of course not XD I was one of the first people who downloaded your game, I adooore GBC Hacks!! I would like to thank you (AGAAAIN LIKE EVERYTIME) about this legendary hack you made!!!!!!!!!
    I played the last beta (4b) and I realised Its changed a lot, I remember the option of changing clothes I think? or maybe my memory is blurry..
    I really can't wait for the final release, thank you for your effort.
    GO GO GOOO GBC, LONG LIFE GBC!
    Thank you Caramel! :)

When are you going to release the next beta
    Can't really give any sort of date as of now. This depends also on the fact, how much new stuff I want to include into it.

It could come out in Summer if I really start putting effort into this beside all the schoolwork. If not, it will take more time which I see being more realistic.

Anyway, I have sort of an update for you guys! :)
    Not really in terms of progress (which I guess I could showcase as well but there is not that much to show so scrap that). But what I can show is that this morning (it's evening where I'm at), I started working on a website that now contains information about Dark Energy and pretty much every other rom hack I have either finished or canceled and downloadlinks to them. There is some cool stuff out there which most (if all) probably don't know about.

Eventually, I will be most likely be updating it more than any other site where this hack will be hosted since I can make the appearance nicer than over here (or in other sites like Skeetendo and RomHacking) by coding the site myself. Also that way, I can keep everything sorted in one place.

The website can be found Here.

miksy91

Years
    Is this hack completed?
    Far from it.. but one day will probably be :)

Hi guys,

A couple of small updates for now. I updated the main post to match the look of Dark Energy page in that website I mentioned in my previous post in this thread as well as it was practically possible with the functionalities the BB codes have to offer.

Yesterday, I also got myself back into editing the game and I'm finally done with remaking all the content introduced already in beta 4.1 that I wanted to change for further releases. I don't even remember what I have been doing about it exactly, but after taking a look at my notes in Github, I have apparently done some improvements to Southern Edge "energy tab" scene, re-written the entire text of the game by adding different kinds of line breaks than there were originally which will make the player push A button only once to see two new lines instead of having to press twice, re-written the gate guard event in Milky Village somehow, added "helper people" in the hack who tell you what to do if you get stuck (there is for example one standing in front of Grand Tower who tells you should investigate Milky Village to move on or something like that), patched a hack that adds specific icons for each pokemon in the menu and related to this, wrote an asm hack that recognizes these pokemon correctly in the Day Care, done some changes to the gate event in front of Centralgate City where Cactus, Oscar and Ashlyn talk (those are their default names), changed the functionality of the mining sidequest which was not accessable in beta 4.1 without codes though, added a hack that draws the level of the encountered pokemon somewhat randomly based on the level that it "should be" like (the level can vary at most -3 or +3 levels from that with some randomization) (idea from KBM and a similar thing will be seen in Prism. Permission granted.), Fisherman Dustin's Whale is now shiny!, changed the functionality of following Zapdos in Argent Central Research Center and a bit more stuff... :D

Okay - that sentence got out of hand, and I should have probably split it into several sentences, but you get the idea :)

Also, if you're interested in hearing what I'm doing at the moment, I'm working on modifying the scripts of almost every "hiker-looking" person in the game for making it possible to ask them if they would like to join a certain mining project in Granaldo City. This is related to the mining sidequest by the way and you can't of course ask this unless you have accepted a certain person to actually hire these men. The people you won't be able to ask about joining are somewhat specific hiker-looking people including ones you can trade with, the teacher in The Capital university who gets angry at you during the test, your own father, and such.

And once I'm done with doing that, I'll continue editing a specific town that you can access after Granaldo City. I haven't really gotten further than that, but once I'm done with this "hiker-scripting", it should be a stroll to continue forward as I don't have to come back to remaking anything in a long time.

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
    It's good to hear that Dark Energy is going to be updated. I like this hack and I've been keeping an eye on it for a long time.
    Thanks!

Miksy, you are the best GBC Rom Hacker ever. Just finished the Beta, I must say you are awesome.
    Thank you :)
    Nonetheless I'm really not one of the best GBC hackers out there. There are many aspects related to how Gameboy games work that I really don't understand. If I did, I could make even more fancy stuff than you see in DE. But yeah - I guess you're right about the fact that I do have more than enough experience to make a good and fun rom hack. :)

What comes to progress of the hack though, I have managed to complete that "asking hikers for the job" -thing I talked about in my previous post. I have also done more stuff than just that, but haven't gotten yet to edit the next town since I happened to play through the hack to test if everything works correctly, and I discovered quite many broken scripts and had to recode a couple of routines as well since there were bugs. For instance, when the thief stoles your money in Granaldo City, and if you happened to have for example the max. amount of money (= $999999) when your money is stolen, and gained more before getting the money back, the amount of money you have would "overflow" and it could have been displayed as $x02380 where x would stand for a digit higher than 9. There were also other bugs I discovered and fixed.

Anyway, right now I don't have time to work on the hack. It's a very busy spring with studies, but once I'm done with those (in mid-May), I will have more time to work on this although I'll have summer job at the same time.

Years
    i must have really broken the game :s there is no sweater anywhere...the only thing i'm missing is articuno and the orb :/ i already searched all the forums and everyone says to go to the market but no one is giving anything there...

miksy91

Years
    i must have really broken the game :s there is no sweater anywhere...the only thing i'm missing is articuno and the orb :/ i already searched all the forums and everyone says to go to the market but no one is giving anything there...
    It can be gotten in Big Shoe in The Capital. All you've got to do is go up until a thief steals a Sweater at the third floor and then you'll just have to find the thief upstairs and challenge him into a battle to make him hand over the Sweater.

Years
    It can be gotten in Big Shoe in The Capital. All you've got to do is go up until a thief steals a Sweater at the third floor and then you'll just have to find the thief upstairs and challenge him into a battle to make him hand over the Sweater.

that's the problem. i can't go up, there's a guard blocking the stairs and npc's say it's still under construction

miksy91

Years
    that's the problem. i can't go up, there's a guard blocking the stairs and npc's say it's still under construction
    I can't check it out with this computer I'm using, but the guard should disappear when you're done with the events in Argent Warehouse.

I take it you started to play beta 4.1. all the way from beginning? If you used a save file from an earlier beta, and continued with beta 4.1. with that, I suppose it could be possible that you won't be able to get there.

Years
    I can't check it out with this computer I'm using, but the guard should disappear when you're done with the events in Argent Warehouse.

I take it you started to play beta 4.1. all the way from beginning? If you used a save file from an earlier beta, and continued with beta 4.1. with that, I suppose it could be possible that you won't be able to get there.

yes, i started playing with the last beta. maybe there's some event there i didn't discover yet, but it's unlikely. i already
    Spoiler:

miksy91

Years
    yes, i started playing with the last beta. maybe there's some event there i didn't discover yet, but it's unlikely. i already
    Spoiler:
    It's impossible to miss the event making that guard go away as that should happen the same time you receive HM Surf.
    I'll have to check this out later when I have time.

What comes to the papers in the research center in A.W., nope - you can't do anything about that stuff yet.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    will this beta be compatible with further releases? :)

mit freundlchen grüßenn Mürder Linez

miksy91

Years
    will this beta be compatible with further releases? :)

mit freundlchen grüßenn Mürder Linez
    As of now, I already know there will be a few problems with the save file if you want to use beta 4.1. save file with later releases. I can make it almost compatible though.

miksy91

Years
    Spoiler:
    Double-post but I got back onto hacking today and also checking what your problem could be about.
    Anyway, the event in Area 112 where Super Onix attacks should make it so that after the event, the sprites of Onix and a girl and a fat guy in that route go away along with activating the Big Shoe. Are those sprites still there in Area 112 in the hack you're playing?

I don't personally see a bug anywhere so there might have been some error with patching, or the emulator you using functioning incorrectly somehow as well. Anyway, if you are using VBA for playing the hack, you can open "Memory Viewer" under "Tools", go to address D7BA by having 8-bit mode selected from the three possible options, and add "$20" the value you see there in D7BA. As an example, if the value you see there is D5, you should re-write it with F5 because D5 + 20 = F5 (we're summing hexadecimal values here). That will make the guard go away.

Last edited:
    Years
    Double-post but I got back onto hacking today and also checking what your problem could be about.
    Anyway, the event in Area 112 where Super Onix attacks should make it so that after the event, the sprites of Onix and a girl and a fat guy in that route go away along with activating the Big Shoe. Are those sprites still there in Area 112 in the hack you're playing?

I don't personally see a bug anywhere so there might have been some error with patching, or the emulator you using functioning incorrectly somehow as well. Anyway, if you are using VBA for playing the hack, you can open "Memory Viewer" under "Tools", go to address D7BA by having 8-bit mode selected from the three possible options, and add "$20" the value you see there in D7BA. As an example, if the value you see there is D5, you should re-write it with F5 because D5 + 20 = F5 (we're summing hexadecimal values here). That will make the guard go away.

you must be right, some kind of error in patching or so. in area 112 there are 4 sprites of people "object event" and the super onix is still there under "object event" aswell, although there is a couple of npc's that mention how they can travel east because the route is finally cleared. in the adress D7BA, i tried to change the values, like you suggested but to no avail, it doesn't seem to be saving what i do, since the guard is still there and when i restart the emulator, the values return to the previous ones.
    i realised it's not that important. if the next version you make won't be compatible with my current save file, i'll have to start from the beginning, anyway.

miksy91

Years
    i realised it's not that important. if the next version you make won't be compatible with my current save file, i'll have to start from the beginning, anyway.
    Beta 4.1 will be somewhat compatible with next releases, but not that well. I have done quite a lot of improvements and some things wouldn't play out right if beta 4.1 save file was used with the stuff I have already done.

Back