• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    So I literally found out about this a few minutes ago because someone contacted me through Discord.

I logged in just to say thank you for finishing this! Sorry for not being able to respond to your message. I would appreciate it if someone could make a YouTube playthrough of the last parts of the game (the parts I didn't work on) and show it to me, so I could possibly provide some feedback.

I have no interest in making a ROM hack ever again, although I have had newer ideas for a Kanto remake fangame since abandoning DarkViolet (and the newer idea would have ended up quite different from DarkViolet), I'm just glad that this got completed in some form.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

I'm so happy that you are back, Chaos Rush! I've been waiting for you since I made my decision to bring your wonderful rom hack back to life. Dark Violet is one of the best hacks I've ever played, so I want everyone know how good it is by making it a completed hack. I wanted to ask you many questions about it, but after you said that you wish to watch the vedio of the part I worked on, I decided to wait until I can find the vedio. Anyway, I hope you can tell me some details about your original plan. Thank you for making this great hack.

If Anyone is Stuck on How to Get to Cinnabar Island, Don't go Seafoam Island it's blocked, access it by Surfing down Pallet Town

You can go to Cinnabar Island from Seafoam Island, because the map of Seaform Island is the same as its HG/SS map.

I know Chaos Rush decided to stop working on this wonderful project, but I think this hack shouldn't be forgotten like this. So I watched Chaos Rush's last post carefully to figure out if I can do something to continue this great hack. I'm sure I have throughly read that post, so I made this, a continued patch which is based off Chaos Rush's post. I couldn't contact Chaos Rush because he was offline, and as a result, he didn't reply my private message. So, if he wishes me to remove this, I'll do it right away.
    I've fixed these glitches:
    1. The Team Rocket Grunts may lock you inside of a narrow passage when you are trying to find the Card Key.
    2. Some movement errors.
    I've added these things:
    Everything the creator planned to do:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8253125&postcount=1127
    However, I can't say I'm a good hacker and there's no way I can make everything exactly the same as how Chaos Rush thinks it should be. As far as I know, the following things are different from Chaos Rush's plans: The new music(Not like Chaos Rush, I have no idea about how to compose music), the new Devil Prism(He didn't say how it was supposed to be like), the Cinnabar Island Gym(He only said it should be different from the original one and he didn't talk about the details, so I decided to keep the original appearance of it) and the maps of the new post-game area(He didn't say how they were supposed to be).
    Some screenshots:
    lotO80k.png

Here is the download link of the patch:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/amupizq0o4es8w8/dark-violet-continued-b2.1.ips
    I realized I made a mistake in the previous patch. I forgot this part of Chaos Rush's post:
    The Elite Four will be like in the newer official games, in which you can challenge them in any order you want.
    I didn't do this in the previous patch, now I'm here to fix this, here is a screenshot:
    grhK3wy.png

Do make sure to update your game if you wish to play a more original Pokemon Dark Violet, and do make sure you are not in the building of Indigo Plateau(I mean the Elite Four rooms and the Pokemon Center), or the game will be glitched.
    Here is the download link:
    Just patch it on a clean Fire Red rom.

I think I need to update the continued patch again, because I found this in the Q&A of the main post:
    Q: Why is Giovanni no longer a Gym Leader? Is he still in the game?
    A: You will be able to re-battle Gym Leaders. If Giovanni was a Gym Leader, he would not be able to be re-battled due to the plot. However, he is still in the game, in fact, he is basically the main antagonist.

Which means you should be able to re-battle Gym Leaders, so I added the Battleground in the post-game area. You can re-battle Gym Leaders there. Here is the screenshot:
    zJuTjAl.png

The old download link still works:

Last edited:

Yuuki_Asura

Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD
    Years
  • I'm so happy that you are back, Chaos Rush! I've been waiting for you since I made my decision to bring your wonderful rom hack back to life. Dark Violet is one of the best hacks I've ever played, so I want everyone know how good it is by making it a completed hack. I wanted to ask you many questions about it, but after you said that you wish to watch the vedio of the part I worked on, I decided to wait until I can find the vedio. Anyway, I hope you can tell me some details about your original plan. Thank you for making this great hack.

You can go to Cinnabar Island from Seafoam Island, because the map of Seaform Island is the same as its HG/SS map.

I think I need to update the continued patch again, because I found this in the Q&A of the main post:
    Q: Why is Giovanni no longer a Gym Leader? Is he still in the game?
    A: You will be able to re-battle Gym Leaders. If Giovanni was a Gym Leader, he would not be able to be re-battled due to the plot. However, he is still in the game, in fact, he is basically the main antagonist.

Which means you should be able to re-battle Gym Leaders, so I added the Battleground in the post-game area. You can re-battle Gym Leaders there. Here is the screenshot:
    zJuTjAl.png

The old download link still works:
    Ok then Thanks

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    hacksrepairman, I know you said you could not include the new music that chaos rush was going to include, but I recommend you look for 3 videos in youtube of timmy menard:

-Pokemon DarkViolet (Hack) Indigo Plateau

-Pokemon DarkViolet (Hack) VS Elite Four (What would have played)

-Pokemon DarkViolet (Hack) Last Battle (VS Rival)

those would have been the dark violet style before it was canceled, but now that it's complete it would be fine if you were looking for a way to include them, greetings.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Wow! Someone really had the guts to continue this wonderful hack. I also wonder if there are still people here who are working on ROM Hacks nowadays. Anyways, kudos to you hacksrepairman for bringing this one back to life. This actually met some of Chaos Rush expectations but I have few notes about it:

1. Some of new dialogue scenarios doesn't have sound effects on exclamation or question balloon pop-ups.
    2. Bugs on maps... mostly stuff you didn't double check but I have screenshots where are they:
      TLE5bh6.png
      yiI55tv.png

There might be few out there but I don't have more time playing the game from start.
    3. Shifting battle BGMs uses the Music Variable Hack, so don't forget putting an "off switch" after a boss battle. I reopened the game again and regular trainers play the Gym Leader battle music instead of the regular Trainer battle theme.
    4. Encounter music on trainers that play incorrectly according to their class. Can't mention few but mostly on trainers on your continuity.
    5. Did you revert rival's Machop line to Abra line? The final battle and the second Route 22 battle seems having Alakazam instead of Machamp. But, you kept the Rhyperior though.
    6. Did you intentionally enable to rematch the Gym Leaders always after a battle? It sounds like a best place to grind EXP after the league, but does it feel kinda wrong. I'd suggest the rematches all over again would be unlocked after a league battle.
    7. This is just optional, but do you intend to add Mega Evolutions? Since DarkViolet is a Diamond/Pearl-generation-feel game, DarkViolet doesn't have the Fairy type as well, so it is up to you if you wanted to add ME.

I'd say 9/10... You just Max Revive-d this game!

EDIT: Since Chaos appreciated and thanked your efforts, why don't you revamp the game finally using latest ROM Hack resources?

Last edited:
    Years
  • hacksrepairman, I know you said you could not include the new music that chaos rush was going to include, but I recommend you look for 3 videos in youtube of timmy menard:

those would have been the dark violet style before it was canceled, but now that it's complete it would be fine if you were looking for a way to include them, greetings.
    It depends if the creator of the music provides the midi file.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    hacksrepairman, I know you said you could not include the new music that chaos rush was going to include, but I recommend you look for 3 videos in youtube of timmy menard:

Just as RenElite said, I need the midi file. So I tried to send him a message, I don't know if he will reply me, so I'll wait. But I think I can keep the official music for now, because the old music is okay, I think.

Wow! Someone really had the guts to continue this wonderful hack. I also wonder if there are still people here who are working on ROM Hacks nowadays. Anyways, kudos to you hacksrepairman for bringing this one back to life. This actually met some of Chaos Rush expectations but I have few notes about it:

1. Some of new dialogue scenarios doesn't have sound effects on exclamation or question balloon pop-ups.
    2. Bugs on maps... mostly stuff you didn't double check but I have screenshots where are they:
      TLE5bh6.png
      yiI55tv.png

There might be few out there but I don't have more time playing the game from start.
    3. Shifting battle BGMs uses the Music Variable Hack, so don't forget putting an "off switch" after a boss battle. I reopened the game again and regular trainers play the Gym Leader battle music instead of the regular Trainer battle theme.
    4. Encounter music on trainers that play incorrectly according to their class. Can't mention few but mostly on trainers on your continuity.
    5. Did you revert rival's Machop line to Abra line? The final battle and the second Route 22 battle seems having Alakazam instead of Machamp. But, you kept the Rhyperior though.
    6. Did you intentionally enable to rematch the Gym Leaders always after a battle? It sounds like a best place to grind EXP after the league, but does it feel kinda wrong. I'd suggest the rematches all over again would be unlocked after a league battle.
    7. This is just optional, but do you intend to add Mega Evolutions? Since DarkViolet is a Diamond/Pearl-generation-feel game, DarkViolet doesn't have the Fairy type as well, so it is up to you if you wanted to add ME.

I'd say 9/10... You just Max Revive-d this game!

EDIT: Since Chaos appreciated and thanked your efforts, why don't you revamp the game finally using latest ROM Hack resources?

Thanks very much for your list, and I have fixed most things you have mentioned except the first one, because I need to to make sure the new changes won't damage the old scripts I made, but I don't know if I still have time to test the whole game again. So I decided to not to touch this for now. As for the re-battle Gym Leaders thing, I did that on purpose, because I know most players don't have much time to finish the post-game events, so I made it possible to re-battle them over and over again to let players spend some time on battling them.

As for adding new features, my personal idea about this is I should stay away from this. I know, mordern features sometimes make rom hacks more attractive, but I prefer the original looks of those old rom hacks. If I were to make a hack which is fullfilled of new features, then I think creating my own hack is a better choice. But still, that is a nice idea, thanks again for telling me what you think about this small patch I made.

I know Chaos Rush decided to stop working on this wonderful project, but I think this hack shouldn't be forgotten like this. So I watched Chaos Rush's last post carefully to figure out if I can do something to continue this great hack. I'm sure I have throughly read that post, so I made this, a continued patch which is based off Chaos Rush's post. I couldn't contact Chaos Rush because he was offline, and as a result, he didn't reply my private message. So, if he wishes me to remove this, I'll do it right away.
    1. The Team Rocket Grunts may lock you inside of a narrow passage when you are trying to find the Card Key.
    2. Some movement errors.
    I've added these things:
    However, I can't say I'm a good hacker and there's no way I can make everything exactly the same as how Chaos Rush thinks it should be. As far as I know, the following things are different from Chaos Rush's plans: The new music(Not like Chaos Rush, I have no idea about how to compose music), the new Devil Prism(He didn't say how it was supposed to be like), the Cinnabar Island Gym(He only said it should be different from the original one and he didn't talk about the details, so I decided to keep the original appearance of it) and the maps of the new post-game area(He didn't say how they were supposed to be).
    Some screenshots:
    lotO80k.png

I realized I made a mistake in the previous patch. I forgot this part of Chaos Rush's post:
    The Elite Four will be like in the newer official games, in which you can challenge them in any order you want.
    I didn't do this in the previous patch, now I'm here to fix this, here is a screenshot:
    grhK3wy.png

Do make sure to update your game if you wish to play a more original Pokemon Dark Violet, and do make sure you are not in the building of Indigo Plateau(I mean the Elite Four rooms and the Pokemon Center), or the game will be glitched.
    Thanks to Xencleamas's help, some glitches were discovered and as a result, this continued patch will be updated again, the old download link still works:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    where can i get the map for faraway island?
    In this fixed patch, you get a ticket from Mr. Briney instead of an Old Sea Map, you can see him in M Area.

2. Some movement errors.
    I've added these things:
    Some screenshots:
    lotO80k.png

grhK3wy.png

Timmy menard offered me the unused music of Pokemon Dark Violet yesterday, and I just imported the music. I'm very thankful for his help, his help made it possible for me to update this patch again, in this new patch, I changed the music of Indigo Plateau, Elite Four battle and Champion battle. However, the music sounds a bit different from the original midi files, I guess the instruments of Fr/Lg caused this. Anyway, here is the download link:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2021
    Does anyone have the pokedex guide / pokemon locations list?
    Or at least where/when i can get magmar and electabuzz. Just wanna know if i can get them early or theyre obtainable very later in the game.
    The whole locations list would be better though lol.

Thanks!

sz

Years
  • Does anyone have the pokedex guide / pokemon locations list?
    Or at least where/when i can get magmar and electabuzz. Just wanna know if i can get them early or theyre obtainable very later in the game.
    The whole locations list would be better though lol.

Thanks!

You can get magby after the 2nd badge (the route before vermillion), elekid was also early in the game but I don't remember where right now.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019

Those seem like just pitch changes of the original FRLG music.

I think if Dark Violet is going to have some new music, it would be better, and more Dark Violet if it were newly composed/remixed. Like a lot of the music in game.

Like the Champion Theme should be WAY more epic, I reckon'.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2021
    As for adding new features, my personal idea about this is I should stay away from this. I know, mordern features sometimes make rom hacks more attractive, but I prefer the original looks of those old rom hacks. If I were to make a hack which is fullfilled of new features, then I think creating my own hack is a better choice. But still, that is a nice idea, thanks again for telling me what you think about this small patch I made.

Thanks to Xencleamas's help, some glitches were discovered and as a result, this continued patch will be updated again, the old download link still works:

First of all, thank you for completing this amazing hack!
    Just wanna ask if we should still expect any major patches and updates to the game? Like an additional post-game content and such. Especially that Chaos Rush will/might provide feedback to the later content.

Thanks again! :)

Years
  • In this fixed patch, you get a ticket from Mr. Briney instead of an Old Sea Map, you can see him in M Area.

Timmy menard offered me the unused music of Pokemon Dark Violet yesterday, and I just imported the music. I'm very thankful for his help, his help made it possible for me to update this patch again, in this new patch, I changed the music of Indigo Plateau, Elite Four battle and Champion battle. However, the music sounds a bit different from the original midi files, I guess the instruments of Fr/Lg caused this. Anyway, here is the download link:

Thank you!

Years
    • Seen today
    ON pokemon League ehen talking to a Pokemon Mart department and item selection appears, a tileset corruption happens. It's only on that point.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    So I've looked at Fitzhogan11's Youtube playthrough of the game, and I've messed around with the latest download you've provided (I'm not gonna do a playthrough though, sorry). Here is my feedback/suggestions in no particular order, the whole purpose of this post is just to kind of describe what my vision for this was back in 2014.

* the level curve seems quite a bit higher than what I would have made it, it really seems to ramp up towards the end. But oh well, it's not like DarkViolet's level curve was balanced to begin with, it was already out of whack. And Fitzhogan11 still managed to beat the Lv70-80's Elite Four despite his team of Lv60's lol

* In general, for boss trainers like Elite Four and such, every Pokemon would have been the same level except for their signature Pokemon being two levels higher than the rest of the team (like how BW, B2W2 and ORAS does it, for example: Lv35, Lv35, Lv35, and Lv37. As opposed to a team of Lv34, Lv36, Lv35, Lv37). The final battles with Gym Leaders, Kamon, Giovanni, Elite Four and Champion should follow this rule as that is what I would have done.

* my original plan was that if you battled every trainer in Kanto (including the Elite Four), you would have seen all 210 Pokemon (minus the legendaries of course). Some Pokemon that the Elite Four use (such as Gengar, Machamp, Dragonite, etc.) would NOT have been used by normal trainers of course.

* glad to see that the cave layouts that were already in Beta 2 for Cerulean Cave and Victory Road made it in despite being inaccessible in Beta 2 lol

* on Fitzhogan11's videos, some trainers on the sea routes below Fuchsia use the wrong battle sprites, such as a Picknicker using the default FRLG sprite instead of the HGSS styled ones that it should use

* not to sound nitpicky but pretty much all of the added maps have tile errors and inconsistencies with the maps that were already in Beta 2. But the layouts are good though. I understand maybe you're relatively new to ROM hacking but maybe someone could help you with that (but not me lol, I'm done with ROM hacking)

* Seafoam Islands wasn't going to use the FRLG tileset, at some point before cancellation I actually made a tileset for it that looked like the HGSS one but in RSE style (like the rest of the maps). Shame I don't have it anymore though :(

* In your beta you can't actually reach Articuno. I see that you've mimicked the HGSS Seafoam Islands layout, which is great because that's exactly what I would have done, but it seems that you didn't account for the sliding ice block puzzle that HGSS did (I probably would have removed it or replaced it with Strength puzzle) and as a result you can't reach Articuno :(

* none of the new areas have proper door animations

* Pokemon Mansion would have looked a bit different than it does in FRLG. I never made tiles for it but like the other areas it would have just been gone by the "what would this place look like in RSE style" motto. I don't blame you for keeping the original FRLG tiles though, it gets the job done.

* The layout for Pokemon Mansion would have been mostly the same EXCEPT towards the deepest part, the diary would have been located in it's own little room and you would actually have battled Ariana and Archer one last time leading up to it.

* Birth Island looks a bit different from what I intended. I would have intended it to look EXACTLY like how it does in Emerald just for the sake of consistency, right down to the RSE rock palettes and the unique trees. It also needs its proper dock building (same with the postgame areas).

* Like Birth Island, I would have made Faraway Island look EXACTLY like it does in Emerald, including the really tall grass

* I know you're not a music hacker, but I might as well just say this anyways lol. Kamon and Giovanni would have had their own final battle themes that are more "intense" versions of their original themes

* Cerulean Cave was going to have its own unique theme, kind of a "final dungeon/this is it" vibe

* Mewtwo was going to have its own battle theme separate from the legendary birds theme. Mew was also going to use Mewtwo's battle theme (in Fitzhogan11's video you made it have RSE battle music?!?). However, I think using the theme I made for the legendary birds works just fine for Mewtwo and Mew.

* It was great seeing Fitzhogan11 do the Mewtwo vs Deoxys battle lol, leading up to that moment was kind of the whole point of DarkViolet. Although this version of DarkViolet was made from 2012-2014, I had worked on the shitty plot in 2011 when Black & White were the newest Pokemon games. So the whole idea was (badly) inspired by Black & White with it's Reshiram vs Zekrom moment, so I thought "let's do that but with Mewtwo and Deoxys" and then if Giovanni was going to play Ghetsis's role, we needed someone to do N's role so that's why "Kamon" (known by many as Silver) was thrown in there

* I would suggest switching around Mewtwo's level-up set so that it doesn't have Shadow Ball when you catch it, that way the battle with Deoxys is a bit harder. Also make sure Deoxys also has Psycho Boost. The idea was that Mewtwo and Deoxys would Psycho Boost each other lol.

* I like how you handled the Giovanni & Kamon scene on Route 22. Pretty much exactly how I would have done it.

* In general, I would not have had unevolved high-level wild Pokemon. For instance, rather than Lv50 Spearow's appearing on Route 23, they would have been Fearow's, period. Every Pokemon past its evolutionary level simply would have been its evolved form. (So yeah, feel free to add wild Pidgeots in the postgame areas lol)

* Route 23 would have used a remix of HGSS's Route 26-27 music (but ONLY Route 23. Indigo Plateau would have still used its original music albeit with its pitch corrected)

* the battle with Green/Red on Route 23 would have actually played a demix of the BW/B2W2 VGC Champion Battle theme, which itself is a remix of the RGBY Champion battle theme (I'm not kidding lol, this was always my plan)

* Indigo Plateau's music would have been the same as FRLG, just lowered in pitch to match RGBY

* Victory Road would have used a remix of its HGSS music

* Tauros would have been found on Route 23, and it would have been the only location its available in-game

* Dratini would have been found in the water on Route 23

* I would have put some Trainers in the lower portion of Route 23

* I love how you handled Moltres in Victory Road. To be honest I would have just shoved it in somewhere like how RGBY did it, but I like your idea better because it kind of keeps in spirit of what FRLG originally did with its little room in Mt. Ember.

* the Elite Four was going to have a brand new remix of the Kanto Gym Leader battle theme (also in Fitzhogan11's video, the victory theme plays the regular trainer victory theme instead of the Gym Leader victory theme that it should)

* the Champion was going to use its FRLG theme, but with its pitch lowered to match RGBY

* the Champion is supposed to have Machamp instead of Alakazam (I think you already fixed that though as someone pointed out, but in Fitzhogan11's video he uses Alakazam)

* when you beat the Champion, instead of playing the Gym Leader victory theme, I was going to have it play the title screen music. I'm not joking.

* I only had very vague ideas for the postgame areas, but what you made fits my ideas well. Obviously based on the map (which I'm glad you followed) the idea was to make some equivalent to Sinnoh's Battle Zone, which is what you did.

* As already mentioned, the new maps have a lot of tile errors and style inconsistencies, Battle Zone as well. The layouts are great but it just needs a bit more polish, that's all

* I would also suggest varying up the graphics a little in the Battle Zone so that not everywhere looks the same

* You used FRLG-style house exteriors in the Battle Zone, that is NOT something I would have done. One of DarkViolet's aspects was to use RSE-style graphics, including the houses, and that means the door heights as well.

* If you go to Celadon City and head to the balcony of the "Chaos Rush Headquarters" building (right next to the Game Freak building), there are a couple trainers that are actually cameos of ROM hackers giradialkia and MrDollSteak, who had helped me over the years. They were intended to be battle-able after you beat the Elite Four. I believe that their teams are already in the ROM in Beta 2, their flags just need to be activated so that you can battle them after you beat the Elite Four.

* Prof. Oak would have been battle-able after you beat the Elite Four. I never planned out his team but it would have been very similar, if not exactly the same as his RGBY beta team. Do whatever you want with that piece of information.

* Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle would have been obtainable in some way in the post game. I never thought of how though lol, so it's up to you to decide how you want to include them.

* in order to fix the tiles glitch with the Elite Four PokeMart, replace the tiles in the room with the ones from the top part of the main tileset.

* Blaine's Gym should have a DarkViolet-styled battle background, not a default FRLG battle background

* Same with the Elite Four and Champion, the backgrounds should be DarkViolet styled and not default FRLG. The Elite Four would have had their own colors for their battle backgrounds, of course.

* minor error with Deoxys's data, it's supposed to be genderless. This is my fault because in the data I had made a "new" Deoxys because the FireRed Deoxys is Attack-forme and I wanted Normal-forme for the story

Anyways, thank you for finishing this hack for me. I abandoned it because I was not pleased with some decisions I made and felt I had better ideas. Plus there were a lot of issues such as the ridiculous story that was a BW-rip off shoved into Kanto, grammar issues (in my defense English is not my first language but it's my best language so I'm in a weird situation with that), and a whacked-up level curve. Those were just some of many reasons why I canceled it, but I'm glad you went and finished it because you have no idea how many messages I've gotten in the past four years asking "when is the next beta coming out?" lol. Obviously things are slightly different than how I would have done it, but what you did is pretty damn close to my original vision and functions as a completed game, which should keep the fans happy. I hope that you'll consider the feedback that I've provided in order to make it even more like my original plan, but don't feel obliged to follow it exactly because I'm not exactly proud of what I worked on. If you have any questions about what my ideas were for certain things, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm assuming you'll continue to work on this to complete it more. If a future version comes that addresses the issues I've brought up in my feedback, I will update the first post to include the final version (don't worry about adding new music, I know it's easier said than done. I'm fine with Mewtwo using the bird theme, thought i would prefer that Mew uses the same theme Mewtwo does as well).

Again, thank you so much for doing this, hacksrepairman.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • I haven't had a chance to comment yet, but having worked on this hack back in the day, I'm ecstatic to see it completed, and just want to echo Chaos' thoughts about your great work.

Regarding some of the issues that Chaos found, I've quoted the ones I would be happy to help with, I can't guarantee how quickly I will get to any of them, but feel free to hit me up with a PM, and I'll do my best to help.

* not to sound nitpicky but pretty much all of the added maps have tile errors and inconsistencies with the maps that were already in Beta 2. But the layouts are good though. I understand maybe you're relatively new to ROM hacking but maybe someone could help you with that (but not me lol, I'm done with ROM hacking)

* Seafoam Islands wasn't going to use the FRLG tileset, at some point before cancellation I actually made a tileset for it that looked like the HGSS one but in RSE style (like the rest of the maps). Shame I don't have it anymore though :(

* In your beta you can't actually reach Articuno. I see that you've mimicked the HGSS Seafoam Islands layout, which is great because that's exactly what I would have done, but it seems that you didn't account for the sliding ice block puzzle that HGSS did (I probably would have removed it or replaced it with Strength puzzle) and as a result you can't reach Articuno :(

* Pokemon Mansion would have looked a bit different than it does in FRLG. I never made tiles for it but like the other areas it would have just been gone by the "what would this place look like in RSE style" motto. I don't blame you for keeping the original FRLG tiles though, it gets the job done.

* I would also suggest varying up the graphics a little in the Battle Zone so that not everywhere looks the same

* If you go to Celadon City and head to the balcony of the "Chaos Rush Headquarters" building (right next to the Game Freak building), there are a couple trainers that are actually cameos of ROM hackers giradialkia and MrDollSteak, who had helped me over the years. They were intended to be battle-able after you beat the Elite Four. I believe that their teams are already in the ROM in Beta 2, their flags just need to be activated so that you can battle them after you beat the Elite Four.

* in order to fix the tiles glitch with the Elite Four PokeMart, replace the tiles in the room with the ones from the top part of the main tileset.

* Blaine's Gym should have a DarkViolet-styled battle background, not a default FRLG battle background

* Same with the Elite Four and Champion, the backgrounds should be DarkViolet styled and not default FRLG. The Elite Four would have had their own colors for their battle backgrounds, of course.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    So I've looked at Fitzhogan11's Youtube playthrough of the game, and I've messed around with the latest download you've provided (I'm not gonna do a playthrough though, sorry). Here is my feedback/suggestions in no particular order, the whole purpose of this post is just to kind of describe what my vision for this was back in 2014.

* the level curve seems quite a bit higher than what I would have made it, it really seems to ramp up towards the end. But oh well, it's not like DarkViolet's level curve was balanced to begin with, it was already out of whack. And Fitzhogan11 still managed to beat the Lv70-80's Elite Four despite his team of Lv60's lol

* In general, for boss trainers like Elite Four and such, every Pokemon would have been the same level except for their signature Pokemon being two levels higher than the rest of the team (like how BW, B2W2 and ORAS does it, for example: Lv35, Lv35, Lv35, and Lv37. As opposed to a team of Lv34, Lv36, Lv35, Lv37). The final battles with Gym Leaders, Kamon, Giovanni, Elite Four and Champion should follow this rule as that is what I would have done.

* my original plan was that if you battled every trainer in Kanto (including the Elite Four), you would have seen all 210 Pokemon (minus the legendaries of course). Some Pokemon that the Elite Four use (such as Gengar, Machamp, Dragonite, etc.) would NOT have been used by normal trainers of course.

* glad to see that the cave layouts that were already in Beta 2 for Cerulean Cave and Victory Road made it in despite being inaccessible in Beta 2 lol

* on Fitzhogan11's videos, some trainers on the sea routes below Fuchsia use the wrong battle sprites, such as a Picknicker using the default FRLG sprite instead of the HGSS styled ones that it should use

* none of the new areas have proper door animations

* The layout for Pokemon Mansion would have been mostly the same EXCEPT towards the deepest part, the diary would have been located in it's own little room and you would actually have battled Ariana and Archer one last time leading up to it.

* Birth Island looks a bit different from what I intended. I would have intended it to look EXACTLY like how it does in Emerald just for the sake of consistency, right down to the RSE rock palettes and the unique trees. It also needs its proper dock building (same with the postgame areas).

* Like Birth Island, I would have made Faraway Island look EXACTLY like it does in Emerald, including the really tall grass

* I know you're not a music hacker, but I might as well just say this anyways lol. Kamon and Giovanni would have had their own final battle themes that are more "intense" versions of their original themes

* Cerulean Cave was going to have its own unique theme, kind of a "final dungeon/this is it" vibe

* Mewtwo was going to have its own battle theme separate from the legendary birds theme. Mew was also going to use Mewtwo's battle theme (in Fitzhogan11's video you made it have RSE battle music?!?). However, I think using the theme I made for the legendary birds works just fine for Mewtwo and Mew.

* It was great seeing Fitzhogan11 do the Mewtwo vs Deoxys battle lol, leading up to that moment was kind of the whole point of DarkViolet. Although this version of DarkViolet was made from 2012-2014, I had worked on the mukty plot in 2011 when Black & White were the newest Pokemon games. So the whole idea was (badly) inspired by Black & White with it's Reshiram vs Zekrom moment, so I thought "let's do that but with Mewtwo and Deoxys" and then if Giovanni was going to play Ghetsis's role, we needed someone to do N's role so that's why "Kamon" (known by many as Silver) was thrown in there

* I would suggest switching around Mewtwo's level-up set so that it doesn't have Shadow Ball when you catch it, that way the battle with Deoxys is a bit harder. Also make sure Deoxys also has Psycho Boost. The idea was that Mewtwo and Deoxys would Psycho Boost each other lol.

* I like how you handled the Giovanni & Kamon scene on Route 22. Pretty much exactly how I would have done it.

* In general, I would not have had unevolved high-level wild Pokemon. For instance, rather than Lv50 Spearow's appearing on Route 23, they would have been Fearow's, period. Every Pokemon past its evolutionary level simply would have been its evolved form. (So yeah, feel free to add wild Pidgeots in the postgame areas lol)

* Route 23 would have used a remix of HGSS's Route 26-27 music (but ONLY Route 23. Indigo Plateau would have still used its original music albeit with its pitch corrected)

* the battle with Green/Red on Route 23 would have actually played a demix of the BW/B2W2 VGC Champion Battle theme, which itself is a remix of the RGBY Champion battle theme (I'm not kidding lol, this was always my plan)

* Indigo Plateau's music would have been the same as FRLG, just lowered in pitch to match RGBY

* Victory Road would have used a remix of its HGSS music

* Tauros would have been found on Route 23, and it would have been the only location its available in-game

* Dratini would have been found in the water on Route 23

* I would have put some Trainers in the lower portion of Route 23

* I love how you handled Moltres in Victory Road. To be honest I would have just shoved it in somewhere like how RGBY did it, but I like your idea better because it kind of keeps in spirit of what FRLG originally did with its little room in Mt. Ember.

* the Elite Four was going to have a brand new remix of the Kanto Gym Leader battle theme (also in Fitzhogan11's video, the victory theme plays the regular trainer victory theme instead of the Gym Leader victory theme that it should)

* the Champion was going to use its FRLG theme, but with its pitch lowered to match RGBY

* the Champion is supposed to have Machamp instead of Alakazam (I think you already fixed that though as someone pointed out, but in Fitzhogan11's video he uses Alakazam)

* when you beat the Champion, instead of playing the Gym Leader victory theme, I was going to have it play the title screen music. I'm not joking.

* I only had very vague ideas for the postgame areas, but what you made fits my ideas well. Obviously based on the map (which I'm glad you followed) the idea was to make some equivalent to Sinnoh's Battle Zone, which is what you did.

* As already mentioned, the new maps have a lot of tile errors and style inconsistencies, Battle Zone as well. The layouts are great but it just needs a bit more polish, that's all

* You used FRLG-style house exteriors in the Battle Zone, that is NOT something I would have done. One of DarkViolet's aspects was to use RSE-style graphics, including the houses, and that means the door heights as well.

* Prof. Oak would have been battle-able after you beat the Elite Four. I never planned out his team but it would have been very similar, if not exactly the same as his RGBY beta team. Do whatever you want with that piece of information.

* Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle would have been obtainable in some way in the post game. I never thought of how though lol, so it's up to you to decide how you want to include them.

* minor error with Deoxys's data, it's supposed to be genderless. This is my fault because in the data I had made a "new" Deoxys because the FireRed Deoxys is Attack-forme and I wanted Normal-forme for the story

Anyways, thank you for finishing this hack for me. I abandoned it because I was not pleased with some decisions I made and felt I had better ideas. Plus there were a lot of issues such as the ridiculous story that was a BW-rip off shoved into Kanto, grammar issues (in my defense English is not my first language but it's my best language so I'm in a weird situation with that), and a whacked-up level curve. Those were just some of many reasons why I canceled it, but I'm glad you went and finished it because you have no idea how many messages I've gotten in the past four years asking "when is the next beta coming out?" lol. Obviously things are slightly different than how I would have done it, but what you did is pretty damn close to my original vision and functions as a completed game, which should keep the fans happy. I hope that you'll consider the feedback that I've provided in order to make it even more like my original plan, but don't feel obliged to follow it exactly because I'm not exactly proud of what I worked on. If you have any questions about what my ideas were for certain things, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'm assuming you'll continue to work on this to complete it more. If a future version comes that addresses the issues I've brought up in my feedback, I will update the first post to include the final version (don't worry about adding new music, I know it's easier said than done. I'm fine with Mewtwo using the bird theme, thought i would prefer that Mew uses the same theme Mewtwo does as well).

for the indigo plateau, elite four and the champion music, it's already solved because timmy menard, thanks to my suggestion, I leave the midis so that it resembles more of its gbc versions, on the final theme of giovanni, it can be so epic as its ultra sun / moon theme, Anyway, you can also say what the final concept of devil's prism was going to be like?

Last edited:
    Back