• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Gaia Version

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    Gotta admit that this hack is -at least- interesting. It's the first and propably the last hack that in my eyes was worth the effort of playing. I won't take much time, dissecting this game to pieces has no point either way. Just left some impressions (both good and bad) and that's all.

The very start of it... Black screen; dates and such. Without changing details like that, there is no starting point. Player won't feel any difference if those details were non-existent or unchanged. Here, they were modified. It really tells a lot. It's keeping things in perspective, gives hope for something fresh. A big plus.

The main characters - especially the boy. Like usual they're brats with really bad taste. It's something i must point out. Why would a boy (in pretty much every game) look so... flashy? Why putting any symbols on him? Especially pokeballs... Those are already everywhere. Let's look at mr. Redwood. Now he looks not only normal but also stylish, dignified. So it is possible. The more colorful the brat is, the more annoying his sprite will be. In this case he looks like a kindergartener. In the original game, Red is just like that. And there is also Blue and he looks cool - or at least not like a pre-schooler. Simple and better. It's about the target - for whom the game mainly is? For children only?

Gadgets. Pokedex for instance. Who really needs that trash nowdays? The very worst part of any pokemon game is this "catch'em all" gibberish. It was created solely to make money. "Catch'em all" means "buy more stuff with our logo" - or simply - "go get more". And pokedex is just like that. It's about numbers, about having them all. Who would waste time on that again?... Mr. Redwood (more of an archeologist than Oak-like invetor) is seeking for apprentices - not pokemon collectors. It's good that he dumped the damn thing into packages rather than making a big halo out of it, but i still think that this particular device is pointless. A map and a radio (pokenav/gear) with a few important contacts are all that player really needs. If it comes to numbers, then keeping ev/iv in check is enough already.

It is absolutely great that the hack is telling us about starter's nature upfront and later about IV and with such obvious detail. These letters are really helpful and are saving A LOT of time - although they're also turning the game into grinder on top of a grinder. Now it's not only about getting levels, but also about catching the right pokemon and preparing. It is an option but not so hidden anymore.

Locations are looking great - especially victory road, desert and snowy mountains. The only minus is how small the map really is. This deserve to be a lot bigger. With this amount of pokemons it just has to be. It was the biggest issue for me after starting; I've checked the map and was discouraged immediately because of how small the region is. Although i have grinded (it was a pleasure) to the limits, i surely felt disappointment at the end. Mostly because i've reached the end of the map.

Storyline is very simple but it's quite edible. Something's going on and somebody must check it out since law enforcement is -per usual- wasting it's funds by doing nothing.
    The "bad guys" were interesting. Grunts were mostly fillers (human-like) but the admins and especially their leader were worth remembering. It's propably the first time (after Madam Boss) that the main antagonist is really well made and makes some sense. This lady has character and she's not entirely wrong. What championship? What pokemon league? That's really a trivial matter. A race towards nothingness. And pokeballs? It's only one-sided convenience to reinforce "catch'em all" slogan. She wanted to change something very fundamental. Such adversary is worth respecting - unlike morons like "Magma" or "Aqua" or other "Laser"-phaser nonsense.
    Next there is a rival. And he's a... disappointment. There is no conviction in him. He's not trying enough and simply concedes. If he's not trying, if he's not catching up, then why should we grind?...

Finally the ending. I know it is still under development. It's a good news, because this hack NEEDS something big after beating the champion. If not, then all those heavily trained pokemons won't matter. All effort won't matter. All will be lost just like that. This hack deserve a well made end. Something to think about, something nice to let it go.

ps. sorry for "english". I'm still learning and it's still not enough. Without total immersion it's impossible for me to learn anymore.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2022
    This Hack Rom is clean and neat, everything's on point. Been playing it for more than 3 times til the Champion League, can't wait til the next update for the post games. Keep on the great work !

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    Looking forward for v4. Just finished playing today. Such a fulfilling romhack. Love from Malaysia

Years
  • It's been a while since I've posted an update, but I can assure you progress on v4 is steady!

First, check out the new design for the Pokémon summary screen, featuring the newly inserted Vivillon patterns!

elegant-vivillon.png
    savannah-vivillon-summary.png
    garden-vivillon-stats.png

In terms of actual postgame content, take a look at the (repeatable) Gym Leader rematches which become available at the Aerous Art Club once you have completed the initial rematches for every Gym Leader.

art-club-intro.png
    rented.png
    dream.png

After speaking with Teala and agreeing to arrange the rematches, you can visit each Gym Leader and ask them to come by the Café.

sid.png
    nina.png
    richter.png

Inside the Café, the Gym Leaders will have little interactions! These change depending on whether certain Gym Leaders are in the Café at the same time. And, of course, you can choose to rebattle them.

aria-1.png
    aria-2.png
    aria-3.png

You may notice that some of these Gym Leader designs look slightly different: a huge thanks to our art team, especially revolocities, for updating their designs!

There's a lot more in v4 to show, but I think I'll leave it here for now. Stay tuned for more progress updates!

Last edited:

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
    Years
  • It's been a while since I've posted an update, but I can assure you progress on v4 is steady!

First, check out the new design for the Pokémon summary screen, featuring the newly inserted Vivillon patterns!

elegant-vivillon.png

In terms of actual postgame content, take a look at the (repeatable) Gym Leader rematches which become available at the Aerous Art Club once you have completed the initial rematches for every Gym Leader.

art-club-intro.png
    rented.png
    dream.png

After speaking with Teala and agreeing to arrange the rematches, you can visit each Gym Leader and ask them to come by the Café.

sid.png
    nina.png
    richter.png

Inside the Café, the Gym Leaders will have little interactions! These change depending on whether certain Gym Leaders are in the Café at the same time. And, of course, you can choose to rebattle them.

aria-1.png
    aria-2.png
    aria-3.png

You may notice that some of these Gym Leader designs look slightly different: a huge thanks to our art team, especially revolocities, for updating their designs!

There's a lot more in v4 to show, but I think I'll leave it here for now. Stay tuned for more progress updates!

cool. are you using the new CFRU (complete firered upgrade) for this update because it's really well polished.

Years
    • He/She/They/Them
    • Earth
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    It's been a while since I've posted an update, but I can assure you progress on v4 is steady!

elegant-vivillon.png

art-club-intro.png
    rented.png
    dream.png

sid.png
    nina.png
    richter.png

aria-1.png
    aria-2.png
    aria-3.png

Looking good!You and your team should be proud!

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I just registered today to say how amazing this ROM Hack is. Everything positive has already been said in this Thread =) Looking forward to the 4.0 Changes!
    Just 2 quick Question: are there any Plans for adding new Moves via TM/ Shard Move Tutor ? some of my favorites like Overheat & Bug Bite are missing unfortunately & new Legendaries Encounters?
    so far only Rayquaza & Deoxys are available.

Keep up the good Work! Cheers.

Last edited:

ShadowBolt Platinum

Don't lose your way!
    Years
  • I'm guessing that west of Ovarr Town is a sea route with an underwater dungeon similar to the Abyssal Ruins. I saw a screenshot of Pokemon Gaia a while ago that had an undersea temple in it. Also, I've seen the Orbtus map and I noticed that Aerous City has a lighthouse that requires Dive to visit. Will it be a new location in the main game or the post game?

bleedpark

Collector of Shiny Cardboard and Player of Hacks
    Years

elegant-vivillon.png

art-club-intro.png
    rented.png
    dream.png

sid.png
    nina.png
    richter.png

aria-1.png
    aria-2.png
    aria-3.png

picture.php

I have been following this game for so long. Gaia is an absolute treasure of a game and I cannot wait to see the end result. Absolutely fantastic job on this and you deserve every bit of praise you get for this. Keep up the amazing work.

Side note: I know you are adding a way to manipulate nature encounters like in the let's go games. Do you think there would be a way to add the Mint mechanic from Sword and Shield? That would be amazing.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2020
    #bug-reports Pokémon Gaia.
    The Nature and Stats of Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash change after it fight with another wild pokemon.
    Pls fix this

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • picture.php

I have been following this game for so long. Gaia is an absolute treasure of a game and I cannot wait to see the end result. Absolutely fantastic job on this and you deserve every bit of praise you get for this. Keep up the amazing work.

Side note: I know you are adding a way to manipulate nature encounters like in the let's go games. Do you think there would be a way to add the Mint mechanic from Sword and Shield? That would be amazing.

Man! I'm so glad that this is still in the works! Hands down one of my favorite ROM Hacks out there. Really digging the new sprite work as well!

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    Played through this in the past week and so, 8th Gym was my favourite part of the game, enjoyed the puzzle(s) in that gym, got destroyed by the gym leader a couple times too but I blame that on being surprised something outsped all of my Pokémon and one shot all of them so I had to change a HM slave for an Intimidate user for that battle (I assume the stats of that Mega Pokémon are not the same as what they are normally, speed in particular). I enjoyed all the little areas you get rewarded for looking at/going to for extra items/TMs/etc. Making individual moves Physical or Special is much better than how standard gen 3 worked for physical/special moves. I liked how you get a grade on Pokémon's IVs. Fighting final evil team boss the way you do is nice.

I didn't like how there was no sprite for Mega Medicham when I was using it (you get that "?" sprite). Also in Hall of Fame moment, a Chandelure picture was replaced with a picture of Mewtwo, found that to be weird. Enjoyable game, needing a HM user in team (or 2) is a little annoying.

Sceptile Queen

Sceptile Fan
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Hello I've been playing Gaia the last couple of days and I'm wondering if the fairy move Dazzling Gleam is in the game or not? My Altaria needs a new fairy move or will I be waiting til it learns Moonblast from level up? I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a good fairy move earlier.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    rej1hp

https://prnt.sc/rej1hp [the image embedding doesn't seem to work so there's the link]
    ?? on the left is Avalugg, ?? on the right is Rotom (Wash), lol

Probably the definitive, most well polished hack out there. Really fun to play through.
    This hall of fame bug (which I know I'm not the first to mention, lol) and some oddities in the PC (odd coloring of some new Pokemon when selecting them in the PC) are really the only two weird things I noticed. Everything else was really solid - a big issue to me with a lot of hacks is when things just don't feel like they belong, but this hack does that well all the time with all of its new features.
    I also really appreciate, personally, that it's all still in the style of the original FR/LG, with some new stuff added in (graphically) - I just like how it looks.

This might also just be my own thing since it's relatively new to me, but I also enjoy seeing the wide range of Pokemon available, and how they - again - just naturally belong. Some hacks really don't properly implement newer Pokemon, and they might have weird quirks with them (for example, sprites just looking out of place in GBA games, or just plain implemented poorly). Avalugg was a new Pokemon to me, and being able to actually use the Rotom Wash was new for me as well. And because of how they're all implemented well, it felt like I was using the real Pokemon like they came from this game, instead of them feeling out of place in some way. Additionally, the variety in the game makes me want to play again with some other new Pokemon.

I also liked how the story was interesting, but definitely not over the top, or edgy in such a way that it's not like a real Pokemon game. That's another thing that can make hacks - ones that are made to be like real games, anyway - feel awkward to play through, and what makes this hack definitely stand out.

Awesome work. :)

Last edited:
    Back