• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Gamedown: Week 2 - GBC

Which game do we choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Pokémon Gamedown
    Welcome to PGC's Pokémon Gamedown!

Pokémon Gamedown is a weekly poll series in which we put our heads together and decide as to which Pokémon video game is best within a particular console. Before we get started, let's take a quick look through our rules.

Guidelines

• There will be a new poll put up every week.
    • These polls will focus on Pokémon games from only one console, which will vary depending on the week.
    • We are all free to explain our choices.
    • Finally, or those who vote frequently, we will receive an emblem.
    This week, our poll aimed towards Game Boy, which includes the following games:

Game List

Gold and Silver
    Wikipedia said:
    Pokémon Gold Version and Silver Version (ポケットモンスター 金・銀 Poketto Monsutā Kin Gin?, "Pocket Monsters: Gold & Silver") are the second installments of the Pokémon series of role-playing video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo; developed for the Game Boy, the games were enhanced for its successor, the Game Boy Color, and marketed for the latter console. They were first released in Japan in 1999, Australia and North America in 2000, and Europe in 2001. Pokémon Crystal, a special edition version, was released for the Game Boy Color roughly a year later in each region. In 2009, Nintendo remade Gold and Silver for the Nintendo DS as Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Crystal Version
    Wikipedia said:
    Pokémon Crystal Version (ポケットモンスター クリスタルバージョン Poketto Monsutā Kurisutaru Bājon, "Pocket Monsters: Crystal Version"), for the Game Boy Color, is the seventh game in the Pokémon video game series in Japan, and the sixth in North America and Europe. The game is an updated version of the previous two versions, Pokémon Gold and Silver, and was released in Japan on December 14, 2000. It was released in North America on July 29, 2001 and in Europe on November 1, 2001.[42][43] Unlike its predecessors, it was developed specifically for the Game Boy Color, and is thus not compatible with the original Game Boy, its variants, and the Super Game Boy.

Last week's winner: Pokémon Yellow

This event will be running until April 5. Without further ado, let's get right to it!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I love pokemon Crystal; they were the first games to show the concept of pokemon animations during battle. :3

But chasing Suicune was epic~!

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • I prefer Crystal over Gold and Silver due to the improvements and expansion of the game's story and such. All the element improvements such as animation on sprites and more 'events' is what set the staple for other games in the future (ie: Emerald, Platinum, ect ect)

BladeMaster51

Squirtle Squad aint got nothing on my crew
    Years
  • Crystal. I choose crystal due to me actually beating crystal and if I'm not mistaken you have a choice in the legendary of lugia or ho-oh. It's been awhile I'm not sure

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I picked Pokemon Silver basely off nostalgia. This was the first game I played of the three, and is my favorite.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I'm kinda torn over this because Gen 2 was a major part of my childhood. I've voted Crystal for being the upgraded version, but I'm also very fond of Gold. My twin brother got Silver.

Gold was the first game I raised a level 100 Pokemon in without using rare candy. Crystal was the first game I found my own shiny in. That is proof to me that I've played these for hundreds of hours, completing the pokedex, filling up my boxes to the point where I had to store extra Pokemon in Stadium 2, just replaying and filling my mind with so much of the Pokemon experience. I was 6 when I got Red/Blue, where I was nub enough to mostly teach everything Strength and three other moves of the same type. I had a much better grasp at playing and fully enjoying GSC as I was a bit older. Also, GSC introduced so many features and updated graphics, I find it the reason why I've stuck with this franchise for so long. Crystal was especially cool for the animations.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I loved how Gold & Silver allowed you to travel between two Regions and all, but I much prefer Crystal. Not only did it give you the gender option, it just also added so many cool features such as move tutors, Battle Tower etc.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
    Years
  • If I really had to pick, I'd choose Crystal over G/S. I believe the intro pulls you in more than the original two, there's much better refinement of the sprites and music, the events specific to Crystal are memorable, and it has all the benefits of being a sequel to the original R/B/Y just like G/S. But those are just my reasons.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well I basically have to give my vote to Crystal, even if it's not much extra it's still my vote. But at the same time GSC does have some advantages over it, including Ho-oh and Lugia not being super hard to get, that and some of the sprites I think were actually better in GSC (looking at you, Typhlosion's in-battle sprite).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I voted for Crystal. It improved on so much from Gold/Silver, like the sprites and the story. Nevermind the addition Kris, first female player character!

Crystal didn't just feel like a third version, like Yellow did, but a "better" version of its counterparts. There was enough added to make it feel like a different experience from Gold/Silver.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Gen II is my favourite Gen so this is kind of like choosing a favourite child :P But even then when you think about it we all have our favourites, and in this case I have to go with Crystal. The minor improvements (Suicune, being able to choose Kris, etc) made it slightly better. That and I think Crystal had the animated sprites (though correct me if I'm wrong and those were in GS as well).

Years
  • Silver was the first game from that series I got and was completely hooked. I don't know if it was because it was my game I got to open specifically (I got crystal eventually but it was my cousin's) or what, but I played the hell out of it as averse to Crystal.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Me--I'd have to side with Gold and Silver, but mostly due to nostalgic purposes. Silver was the first second-generation title I had ever gotten, and whenever I play, unlike Crystal, it always tends to bring some sort of memories back, and I do appreciate that. Though, I'm also a fan of Crystal version, no doubt; improvements it seemed to have had over GS were very much noticeable, at least to me!

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I really hate to blind myself with the nostalgia goggles, but the times I had playing Pokemon Silver are too great to vote for Crystal. I was simply floored the first time I played it, and my 8 (or so) year-old mind couldn't handle it haha.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2015
    Unlike a huge chunk of the fandom, I'm not too huge of a fan of Gen 2, but I am going to have to go with Crystal due to some silly childhood memories!

Usually in my family me and my sister get opposite versions when a new game came out, but back when Gen 2 was a thing I actually got both. [One as a gift from my parents, the other from my grandparents.] When Crystal came out, however, my parents made me and my sister promise to share the game and they bought it for the both of us. Not too long after, as tends to happen with children a lot, my sister decided to take over the cartridge and, although the save file was mine I believe, she would lock herself in her room with the game so I couldn't get to it. Even when she wasn't playing it. She'd throw a fit if she didn't have it with her. Me and my dad would try to sneak in and undo her lock from the outside when she'd be asleep so I could play the darn thing. xD

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Crystal is newer and better and all but I played Gold first so it had some sentimental value to me.

Back