• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Inclement Emerald: A Decomp Difficulty Hack [Version 1.13]

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Thanks! Oh lol I didn't consider that when coding Challenge Mode, will change it to force set mode in the intro (and I guess somewhere else too to fix your save!).

It's much appreciated, but don't worry about adding it elsewhere--I was able to fix it by cloning your 1.8 branch and rebuilding without the Challenge Mode check so I could change it to Set in the options. Then I just saved once it was in Set and went back to using the official 1.8 ROM--worked like a dream! Shoutouts to you for keeping it open source, haha.

Years
  • Uh, I may have updated to 1.8 WITHOUT first saving in a Pokemon Center. Am I screwed? My save file still boots up as normal, and the in-game save function says I'm on Ver 1.8, like it should, but now I'm wondering how to re-update my game, if possible, or if I should just delete everything and start my game over.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2021
    I've been having a problem where I black screen at the vitamin shop, not sure if it's just me but I've seen multiple people access it just fine. I'm using version 1.8 and I'm on mgba.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    It's much appreciated, but don't worry about adding it elsewhere--I was able to fix it by cloning your 1.8 branch and rebuilding without the Challenge Mode check so I could change it to Set in the options. Then I just saved once it was in Set and went back to using the official 1.8 ROM--worked like a dream! Shoutouts to you for keeping it open source, haha.
    Oh, that works too haha! Would've been rude not to make it open source!
    Uh, I may have updated to 1.8 WITHOUT first saving in a Pokemon Center. Am I screwed? My save file still boots up as normal, and the in-game save function says I'm on Ver 1.8, like it should, but now I'm wondering how to re-update my game, if possible, or if I should just delete everything and start my game over.
    If your current location works properly that's fine. Just make sure you follow the update instructions next time!
    I've been having a problem where I black screen at the vitamin shop, not sure if it's just me but I've seen multiple people access it just fine. I'm using version 1.8 and I'm on mgba.
    Are you using the fastforward when this happens?
    @Buffel Saft

I am indeed playing on Virtual Console! Huh, I didn't think these things just "fixed" themselves, but if you say they do, I believe you (you know more about this than I do).

Thanks again for the hack!
    I did all my test playthroughs on virtual console, so ran into this a lot! It might take a few days but it will be fine eventually.
    Very fun hack so far thank you! Can't wait to try out flygon.
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy the rest of it, Flygon's pretty strong!

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2021
    Hello Buffel, some Youtuber recommended this ROM hack to me and I mostly enjoyed it very much.

I say "mostly" because I had a very buggy experience, with frequent crashes due to fast forwarding (on this thread you mentioned a fix though,so it's on me for not researching the issue, but I'd like to know more detail, you said something about display drivers).

But now I have another issue where the ROM simply doesn't launch. I'm using mGBA and whenever I open the .gba file I get the following error message "The game has crashed with the following error : Jumped to invalid address : 22212124".

I already got a similar issue once, but I was only up to the first may battle, so I simply started over, but now that I got to the third badge I'd be pretty salty to start over.

So yeah, any pointers ? Once again thanks for the ROM it's a really ambitious project and you're doing it right !

Emerald_Greens

PKMN Trainer Kirby
    Years
    • They/them
    • Seen Oct 17, 2021
    Thanks! I don't know why this happens either sadly, it's only an issue for some people which makes it very hard to tell what the cause is. There's a known bug with mGBA that may cause it to crash when fastforwarding using the openGL driver, so you could try switching to the other option (Tools -> Settings -> Display Driver) and see if that helps.

The only options I'm seeing are openGL, openGL (force version 1.x) and Software QT, and that last one only gives me a blank white screen when I try to start the game. You think maybe I should try to contact the mGBA devs instead?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I have somewhat of an important question, which may or may not be related to a feature or a bug.
    SO i was fighting Brawly and his pokemon knocked off my item, and I cannot find the item on my pokemon or in my bag. Is this a feature of the Hack? This is on normal so I thought stuff like this wouldn't normally happen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Is it possible to increase the trainer name character count? It's always upset me that I have to use a shorthand version of a name like Maddy instead of Madeleine with the earlier games. I was also wondering if it's possible to get a shiny starter via SR. Any feedback is appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2021
    Is it possible to increase the trainer name character count? It's always upset me that I have to use a shorthand version of a name like Maddy instead of Madeleine with the earlier games. I was also wondering if it's possible to get a shiny starter via SR. Any feedback is appreciated!

There is no shiny locked in game afaik, Every mons can be shiny.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hello Buffel, some Youtuber recommended this ROM hack to me and I mostly enjoyed it very much.

I say "mostly" because I had a very buggy experience, with frequent crashes due to fast forwarding (on this thread you mentioned a fix though,so it's on me for not researching the issue, but I'd like to know more detail, you said something about display drivers).

But now I have another issue where the ROM simply doesn't launch. I'm using mGBA and whenever I open the .gba file I get the following error message "The game has crashed with the following error : Jumped to invalid address : 22212124".

I already got a similar issue once, but I was only up to the first may battle, so I simply started over, but now that I got to the third badge I'd be pretty salty to start over.

So yeah, any pointers ? Once again thanks for the ROM it's a really ambitious project and you're doing it right !
    The problem with the freezes is that it only happens to some people, and I've never seen it myself so I have no idea what the cause is - I can quite happily fastforward to 1000fps and have no issues, and the game runs fine on virtual console. If you can answer some questions that might help:
    - What sort of hardware does your computer have (I don't think this should matter but who knows)?
    - Which fastforward setting are you using?
    - Did you patch the ROM yourself or download a pre-patched one? If it's a pre-patched ROM put it in the recycling bin immediately as that's probably the cause
    - Are your graphics drivers up to date?
    ^ hoodlumcallum and other poketubers have recently discovered this hack so... expect it to pick up in popularity soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChR...yG-i0_&index=1&t=10s&ab_channel=HoodlumCallum
    Yeah I'm aware haha, the Discord got a few hundred new members overnight after that!
    The only options I'm seeing are openGL, openGL (force version 1.x) and Software QT, and that last one only gives me a blank white screen when I try to start the game. You think maybe I should try to contact the mGBA devs instead?
    Probably no point doing that; the mGBA dev is already aware of the fastforward issue.
    I have somewhat of an important question, which may or may not be related to a feature or a bug.
    SO i was fighting Brawly and his pokemon knocked off my item, and I cannot find the item on my pokemon or in my bag. Is this a feature of the Hack? This is on normal so I thought stuff like this wouldn't normally happen.
    Try putting the mon in the PC and withdrawing it, a few people have run into this and apparently that fixes it.
    It's possible but I don't know how much extra work would be needed to support that, names are limited to that length for a reason!

Years
  • Hey so uh I just wanted to report what seems to be a bug

I wanted to use Skill Link - Kings Rock Cloyster but the flinch rate doesn't seem to go beyond 10%. I've used 5 hitting Icicle Spears dozens of times and haven't gotten a flinch once. Guess I'll stick with white herb for now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2021
    Oh, that works too haha! Would've been rude not to make it open source!

If your current location works properly that's fine. Just make sure you follow the update instructions next time!

Are you using the fastforward when this happens?

I did all my test playthroughs on virtual console, so ran into this a lot! It might take a few days but it will be fine eventually.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the rest of it, Flygon's pretty strong!

I was using fast forward at the time but even when I'm not using it and let the game balance out I still black screen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    hi, first of all i want to thank you for this phenomenal work of a game. i've been a poke fan since a while and even though i find myself always enjoy a pokegame, something about the way difficulty is handled always bugs me, either being too easy or, hard because the game doesn't give tools to overcome it. you have done a job that balances that in a perfect way with this game. the battle mechanics and QoL just go TOO well with each other and the diversity of pokemon is just fantastic. i really appreciate romhackers for stuff like this, gamefreak could learn a thing or two about making a game fun, challenging and practical!

i love trying new pokes i NEVER thought i'd be using, like drought sunflora and aerilate ledian (TFW flying type STAB comet punch!!!). i'm going for the 4th gym and i can't wait to use stuff like power fists machamp, no guard focus blast pidgeot and drizzle wailord. the starter selection was so unique! and the gamecorner handing you the others makes sense too. iv & ev training is very practical and move tutors per gym is genius! the way levels scalates is very cool as difficulty maintains, so you don't have to be worried about over/underlevel.

the battle tents giving bottle caps makes SO much sense. remember playing vanilla and wondering why would i fight three battles for a full heal that i can just buy with money later on? you gave it an actual ​purpose so i'm very glad! would recommend giving 5 bottle caps and a random valuable item to sell as a bonus BUT i don't know if that's going too far.

the new areas are GORGEOUS!! love the petersburg woods forest expansion, very clever dungeon design and item placement. the dewford meadow/manor too! if you're thinking of adding more new areas i'm all for that!

into other matters... i'd like to give my own recommendations of things that can still improve so far (in my opinion), as you keep updating and adding features (kudos for that as well).

- when changing nature and iv/ev training, reduce the text to just the prompt screen of the actions. for example, when you go to the chef he mentions the stuff about the pokeblocks and the nature EVERY single time and even though it's not thaaat big deal i feel like it can be tedious sometimes when you are rushing to continue; the same for iv/ev training when the girls keep telling you again what they already told you upon meeting them the first time.

in the case of the chef, make it so you talk to him, you select the pokemon and then right away he asks the flavors.

as for the sisters, evie asks you the pokemon and then prompt screen appears, if adding evs she doesn't tell you how much but just show the screen right away; when reset she doesn't explain what would you do it for (i mean if you're doing it's cause you already know...) and just asks for a quick confirmation.

ivie asks for the pokemon and go through the screen prompts right away, also please place the 31 ivs at the top, i found myself mistakenly pressing 0 cause it's the first option.

MAYBE what bugs me is that the dialogue can slug that process sometimes? have you thought about increasing dialogue speed to be instant? maybe as an option... but i think it would cool for situations like that.

- an improve UI for the PC!!! i know this might sound risky for me to say (as i don't know if it's possible), but i thinking adding more ways to navigate the boxes, like a mode for selecting several pokemon at a time or having a pick and switch mode would be cool (like in newer generations). this is because there's quite A LOT of pokemon out there to catch and try... i'm just in 4th gym and i have 3 boxes fulled already...

adding the pc features upon catching a pokemon introduced in 7th generation would be really cool as well (checking the summary, replace it with one of your team if it's full, etc).

if you think of doing it in a future update, you could have the players go to lanette's house for her to update the PC.

- prompts change when trying to learn new moves. remove the asking for confirmation when you already said no to learn a new move. the "stop learning the move" prompt when backing of a move selection, as well as "do you want to learn tm/hm?". i think it would be more practical if it was like 7th generation where it just says "select pokemon" and "select a move to forget" instead of going through three boxes of dialogue.

- when going through a move tutor list of a particular gym badge group, if you select a move and then go back, change it so it sets you back to that list and not through the gym badge group selection (to not get the move lost).

- as for moves the only thing i can think of is making charging beam always raise special attack like a special power-up punch. but that might be a little niche so idk.

- the battle frontier! though you're probably working on it so just a reminder hehe.

- maybe introduce a new system for match calls? so that after you walk 100 steps, normal trainers will always be available? without the "chance" but rather the reliability, you know? ofc after norman. implying this not for the experience but rather the money, and i know you can farm through stealing in meteor falls, but having that alternative could be interesting as well.

anyways, keep up the good work! it's very appreciated.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Can you add a "casual" mode? (Casual = No level cap) Please?
    The game still won't be casual friendly even without a cap. Removing caps from the early game just breaks it due to the fact that everything scales to your party - there's really no need to be able to get to level 20 something for the first gym!
    Hey so uh I just wanted to report what seems to be a bug

I wanted to use Skill Link - Kings Rock Cloyster but the flinch rate doesn't seem to go beyond 10%. I've used 5 hitting Icicle Spears dozens of times and haven't gotten a flinch once. Guess I'll stick with white herb for now.
    I'll look into it!
    I was using fast forward at the time but even when I'm not using it and let the game balance out I still black screen.
    Did you patch the ROM yourself or download a pre-patched copy?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2021
    I just downloaded and patched the game today, and I have a bug to report.
    I am Playing on the Delta emulator on mobile, both Game and emulator are on current version. I Chose Turtwig as my starter and I used save states for the resets to get a good IV spread/Nature, I also used fast forward regularly because I'm just too impatient.
    When my turtwig first leveled up, the game froze to a black screen when switching back out of the battle screen into the overworld, with distorted sounds to be heard. The bug was reproducable, I couldn't level up or game froze. Also resetting and loading from a normal save game didn't help, as well as not using fast forward mode. Level up -> Freeze. Then I sat the phone down for a few hours, tried again and now everything works just fine, even with fast forward. Maybe it was a Memory issue? 🤷*♂️
    I also had a striped screen after the "receiving the poke vial" dialogue, but when leaving the Poke center everything was normal again. I will continue playing now, I love your game and I made an account on this website just to report this bug. Hope you keep up the great work! :)

fallkitten

I Believe in Sherlock Holmes!
    Years
  • I haven't played the famous Radical Red, but I've beaten this hack. On a normal mode, yeahXD. Never ever a pokemon game gives me so much joy, stress and relief. You've brought so many creative and brilliant things - Poke vials saved my sanity, Level cap and level scaling is the perfect solution. I've never used so many different mons in one run. I had to make changes to my team for every single gym. I don't play that way and it was something I've never done. Also, Vikavolt is broken, this fella carried me through the entire game. Thank you for such an experience, definitely a replay in the future=)

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2021
    Hey, it's still given by the same lady as vanilla. What's happening when you talk to her?

Sorry for a reply on an old comment, but this is happening to me as well. The lady in the house next to the Mart in Mauville talks about buying an Ice Stone in Slateport. In vanilla she wants a Harbor Mail. Has the coin case been moved to a different npc?

Back