• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2016
    Also, just so you know, in the 4th gym (the one with the statues that require you to bring a particular type of Pokemon), even when a statue physically disappears from the map (after you fulfill its requirement), you can still interact with it as if it was still there. I'll post up an image later, but that's what happens. I also wonder if it's possible to introduce genders into the game. Not really a suggestion, but it would be kinda neat if it could be done.

I'm also stuck in 'Lavender Town' and don't know where to go next. I tried the sea route to the west, but for some reason I don't seem to be able to get anywhere. There's also something about a 'sea covenant' who apparently can help me navigate that area, but these guys are looking for their captain and I don't know where the captain is. Where do I find him?

Anyway, this game alongside Grape seems to represent the highest tier of Pokemon RBY hacking. Wish GSC had similarly good hacks.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Also, just so you know, in the 4th gym (the one with the statues that require you to bring a particular type of Pokemon), even when a statue physically disappears from the map (after you fulfill its requirement), you can still interact with it as if it was still there. I'll post up an image later, but that's what happens. I also wonder if it's possible to introduce genders into the game. Not really a suggestion, but it would be kinda neat if it could be done.

I'm also stuck in 'Lavender Town' and don't know where to go next. I tried the sea route to the west, but for some reason I don't seem to be able to get anywhere. There's also something about a 'sea covenant' who apparently can help me navigate that area, but these guys are looking for their captain and I don't know where the captain is. Where do I find him?

Anyway, this game alongside Grape seems to represent the highest tier of Pokemon RBY hacking. Wish GSC had similarly good hacks.
    Yep, I'm aware of the statues thing. Did you talk to everyone in Ruby Docks? The guy in the Outpost gives you HM06 Dive. Then, you can go west on the route south of Copper Town.

Years
  • Can you show an example of how shinies appear in a non-colored mode? Im using an ipad gba emulator and it doesnt support super ga,eboy mode. ??????

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Can you show an example of how shinies appear in a non-colored mode? Im using an ipad gba emulator and it doesnt support super ga,eboy mode. ������

Sure. This is what it looks like without color. It just has a quick flash whenever a pokemon comes into battle. The same flash happens when it's your own pokemon:
    Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
  • Thanks. I cimpleted the beta and it was so much fun. Especially that 6th badge. Anyway, the legendary birds, are they capturable in the current beta? Balls always seem to miss. And that they heal up fully and the flee rate is somewhat high is quite harsh. Or maybe its just me. (can pokemons learn mean look in this game?)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Thanks. I cimpleted the beta and it was so much fun. Especially that 6th badge. Anyway, the legendary birds, are they capturable in the current beta? Balls always seem to miss. And that they heal up fully and the flee rate is somewhat high is quite harsh. Or maybe its just me. (can pokemons learn mean look in this game?)

Yes, they are capturable the same way as in the normal game. You have to weaken them and give them status ailments, otherwise the balls will miss. I agree, though. The encounters are pretty harsh at the moment. I'll probably make it easier for the final version. Thanks for playing!

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2016
    By the way, who is the mystery trainer (the guy you fight in the VERY BEGINNING, who looks like a silhouette of Red and says COME CATCH ME!')? What's his story?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    By the way, who is the mystery trainer (the guy you fight in the VERY BEGINNING, who looks like a silhouette of Red and says COME CATCH ME!')? What's his story?

He doesn't have a story. :P He's just a shadow. He shows up several times throughout the game, though--not just at the very beginning. I doubt I'll ever provide a concrete reason for his existence. He's just kinda there.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    first starter battle is kinda unfair if you choose staryu.

Exeggcute has a pretty high defense (80!) compared to staryu's atk and bad rng on barrage (critical or continuous 3-5 hits) means quick nuzlocke end lol...

i ran a simulation with 10 battles and staryu was only able to win 1 time out of 10! (and it won only because egg went full leer derp mode). tried 20 and it only won 3 times. doesnt matter if you keep up the harden with his leer, bad barrage rng=goner.

i suggest Exeggcute to have tackle instead of barrage at the start and only learn barrage at lvl6 or 7....

also nuzlocke mode should only activate once you can purchase pokeballs. got locked out of catching pokemon on the first route.

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    That's odd, I was able to beat Exeggcute on my first try though.

"i can beat it on the first try therefore its balanced, doesnt matter if i would lose to it 5/10 times in a row if refought"

still doesnt discount the fact that Exeggcute clearly has superior hp/def than staryu and has a superior normal move
    speed doesnt matter when staryu cannot dent egg much with that strong defense

winning against egg banks on it going leer mode or missing barrage continuously

staryu
    hp 30
    atk 45
    def 55
    spd 85

Exeggcute
    hp 60
    atk 40
    def 80
    spd 40

tackle
    base power :35
    acc:95

barrage
    average base power:45
    acc:85

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    IIRC, you have a Potion, your rival doesn't.

so im forced to use the potion just because i chose staryu? how arbitrarily egg and growlithe has it nice and can save the potion easily.

yeah woww

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    so im forced to use the potion just because i chose staryu? how arbitrarily egg and growlithe has it nice and can save the potion easily.

yeah woww

Money isn't really an issue, so using a potion wouldn't hurt too bad. At the end of the day, Staryu isn't as good early on, but once it gets water moves it starts to be good. Staryu takes the 2nd gym leader down in a second, and is advantageous against the 3rd leader. This is a similar conundrum to original Red/Blue, where Charmander's stratch makes it hard for Bulbasaur to win the rival battle, but Bulbasaur is a superior choice for the early gyms.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    first starter battle is kinda unfair if you choose staryu.

Exeggcute has a pretty high defense (80!) compared to staryu's atk and bad rng on barrage (critical or continuous 3-5 hits) means quick nuzlocke end lol...

i ran a simulation with 10 battles and staryu was only able to win 1 time out of 10! (and it won only because egg went full leer derp mode). tried 20 and it only won 3 times. doesnt matter if you keep up the harden with his leer, bad barrage rng=goner.

i suggest Exeggcute to have tackle instead of barrage at the start and only learn barrage at lvl6 or 7....

also nuzlocke mode should only activate once you can purchase pokeballs. got locked out of catching pokemon on the first route.
    I agree that picking staryu results in a more difficult first battle, but I'll probably keep it the way it is. I'm not interested in making them all even. As dhogan pointed out, the player can always grab the potion from the PC first, which makes it easy.

For the final version, the player will be given pokeballs before they exit the lab the first time. That way you don't get locked out of a pokemon on the first route.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2016
    Manutdrule, don't be such a crybaby lol. You want an easy game, go play the regular ones or play a different hack. I like Maize partly because it's reasonably challenging, harder than the original games, but not very hard at all. And of course because it's actually a pretty fun game otherwise. I'd say Shanty should keep things as they are.

@ShantyTown: I got another question, man. Do you think it's possible to incorporate held items or gender into RBY games? Would be cool if that were possible.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    @ShantyTown: I got another question, man. Do you think it's possible to incorporate held items or gender into RBY games? Would be cool if that were possible.

Yes, it's possible and pretty feasible (although, implementing lots of held item effects would be time-consuming). Howveer, I won't be adding held items, and I don't think I'll be adding genders either. At this point, I'm pretty much done adding features to the engine of the game. I just want to focus on adding content to finish the story of the game because I want to move on to new projects.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2016
    Yes, it's possible and pretty feasible (although, implementing lots of held item effects would be time-consuming). Howveer, I won't be adding held items, and I don't think I'll be adding genders either. At this point, I'm pretty much done adding features to the engine of the game. I just want to focus on adding content to finish the story of the game because I want to move on to new projects.

That's amazing! I had no idea that RBY could be taken so far through hacking. One more thing, is it possible to add full color to the game, like in GSC?

Also, have you considered adding battle backgrounds, like the hacker of Pokemon TRE2 apparently implemented? Those would make the game even better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    That's amazing! I had no idea that RBY could be taken so far through hacking. One more thing, is it possible to add full color to the game, like in GSC?

Also, have you considered adding battle backgrounds, like the hacker of Pokemon TRE2 apparently implemented? Those would make the game even better.

The entire source code of pokemon red is available, so it's more like writing software than hacking at this point. Although, I guess there is a lot of hacking in the sense that you sometimes have to splice in your own code into poorly-understood routines in the game's engine.

Like I mentioned earlier, I won't be focusing on changing the engine anymore (full color, battle backgrounds, etc.). I'll be focusing on the actual content of the game.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    This is a similar conundrum to original Red/Blue, where Charmander's stratch makes it hard for Bulbasaur to win the rival battle, but Bulbasaur is a superior choice for the early gyms.

no its not similar. bulbasaur doesnt have 80 defense at the start, and charmander is never really good for the rest of the game (dont need charmander for erika when gen1 has an OP type).

Manutdrule, don't be such a crybaby lol. You want an easy game, go play the regular ones or play a different hack. I like Maize partly because it's reasonably challenging, harder than the original games, but not very hard at all. And of course because it's actually a pretty fun game otherwise. I'd say Shanty should keep things as they are.

nice ad hominem.

you (and neither the developer) still have not touch the point that egg or growlithe have it very easy and do not have to use a potion, while staryu is forced to. it doesnt matter if staryu is great in the few gyms or not, its bad that the VERY FIRST fight necessitates a potion use from the player simply because he/she choses a certain arbitrary option. Its the essence of balance design im talking about here. i have played many harder hacks and have never been forced to use a potion right at the start before. what if the player wants to go for a no item usage gameplay rule? so hes locked out of staryu or have to abuse save states to get staryu to win? nice design

Last edited:
    Back