• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So the next project will be modern fire red?
    Hmm... Probably not. I wanted to do it at the start but after adding Modern Spawns and making avaiable every Pokémon, it just doesn't make much sense. It's still on the cards, but I have other Pokémon projects in mind.
    I might sound stupid, but how do you access the Wonder Trades?
    If you are not playing with challenges, after the fifth gym on the second floor of the Pkm Center. If you are using challenges, after beating the game. If you are using a randomizer, since the start of the game (only 1.5.5+).

------------

Update 1.5.5 released!

• New "Growth Mulch" item that makes berries instantly grow! Solves the problem of berries getting stuck after changing the clock. Please refer to the FAQ section for more information.
    • "Growth Mulch" drops from Tropius, Gloom and Bulbasaur.
    • "Growth Mulch" can be obtained daily by the berry master.
    • Higher Berry yields (6 max, 4 min).
    • Randomizing Wild Pokémon now enables wonder-trade from the start of the game to make it more fun.
    • Limit difficulty now gets disabled after beating the game.
    • You can open and change options in the challenges menu during normal play. Please refer to the FAQ section, as this can really break you savegame.
    • Increased the speed of battle transitions to match Fire Red speed, which is faster.
    • Modern Spawns are now selected by default in the Challenges Menu, as I now recommend playing with them.

Days
    • Seen Jan 31, 2024
    Hmm... Probably not. I wanted to do it at the start but after adding Modern Spawns and making avaiable every Pokémon, it just doesn't make much sense. It's still on the cards, but I have other Pokémon projects in mind.

If you are not playing with challenges, after the fifth gym on the second floor of the Pkm Center. If you are using challenges, after beating the game. If you are using a randomizer, since the start of the game (only 1.5.5+).

------------

Update 1.5.5 released!

• New "Growth Mulch" item that makes berries instantly grow! Solves the problem of berries getting stuck after changing the clock. Please refer to the FAQ section for more information.
    • "Growth Mulch" drops from Tropius, Gloom and Bulbasaur.
    • "Growth Mulch" can be obtained daily by the berry master.
    • Higher Berry yields (6 max, 4 min).
    • Randomizing Wild Pokémon now enables wonder-trade from the start of the game to make it more fun.
    • Limit difficulty now gets disabled after beating the game.
    • You can open and change options in the challenges menu during normal play. Please refer to the FAQ section, as this can really break you savegame.
    • Increased the speed of battle transitions to match Fire Red speed, which is faster.
    • Modern Spawns are now selected by default in the Challenges Menu, as I now recommend playing with them.
    thanks dude, sorry if I sounded stupid

Days
    • Seen Jan 20, 2024
    I created an account just to thank you for this great work of art!

Could you please update the pokemon's sprites to their gen 4 version or an option for it? It hurts every time I see an houndoom or paras and it will also make the sprites consistent with the newer pokemons that has been added.

I have tried to update them myself by tinkering with HexManiacAdvance but no luck.

And will the randomizer also effect Battle Frontier?

An idea for randomizer is to have an option to keep the rivals starter consistent throughout the game, this was an option in Universal Pokemon Randomizer and could even be extended to gym leaders, villian leader, elite four and the champion's aces to make the battles refreshing but still have a sense of the original Emerald.

Anyway, thank you again for creating this definite version to play vanilla Emerald and I can't wait to see more of your amazing work.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2024
    Hello
    i like this version pretty much, playing a lot with my mate
    I got a suggestion for improvement

When you choose randomizing wild and static encounter, or items aswell: Let us save a log file to look for each species. We were playing soullink nuzlocke and only one of us found a lovedisc/feebas/magikarp to hunt heartscales.
    Would be nice to check the new location of every poke to farm those things.
    Same goes with horseas or shuppets for dragon scale/spell tag

also what i really like to have is an accurate pokedex when you choose to play randomizer
    the pokemon shown on the pokedex are the vanilla locations and therefore completely useless
    maybe show the location once you encounter them in the wild, not after youve seen them in a battle

bump :)

Days
    • he/they
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I just submitted a PR on GitHub to implement the Pixilate ability for Sylveon! I hope my implementation is up to your standards, it was my first time writing anything in C, so it was a bit difficult for me to find a way to implement at my current skill level with coding. But I think it turned out really well in the end.

Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)
    Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

It even shows the correct type effectiveness without changing the listed type like how it shows in Gen 8+.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Doing that is a tremendous amount of work that's not worth it for me. Unless someone wants to pick it up and do a pull request, I won't do it. Also, "generating logs" is probably out of the question as this is still a GBA where the randomization happens inside the game, and not with external tools.
    I just submitted a PR on GitHub to implement the Pixilate ability for Sylveon! I hope my implementation is up to your standards, it was my first time writing anything in C, so it was a bit difficult for me to find a way to implement at my current skill level with coding. But I think it turned out really well in the end.

View attachment 154345
    View attachment 154346

It even shows the correct type effectiveness without changing the listed type like how it shows in Gen 8+.
    Probably will be added in the next update. Thanks for your contribution!

Days
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    Hey I just wanted to report something super strange that I'm not sure whether it has to do with the romhack itself or if somehow the hack wasn't installed correctly. Everything seems to be working completely fine EXCEPT every time I catch a pokemon, without fail the pokemon has a quiet nature. I've probably caught 20 pokemon now just to test it out, and obviously the odds of that happening randomly are vanishingly small.

If it is an issue with the romhack, you'd think someone would have run into it by now, but I can't seem to find any report of it. If it's an issue with my installation, does that mean I have to start over from scratch or is there some way to save my progress and not lose everything I've done up until now? I'm using mGBA on a 3DS, btw.

EDIT: I tried with a different patched rom, copied and renamed my save file, etc. and all new pokemon are still only quiet natured. Could it be a weird interaction between the emulator and the romhack?

EDIT 2: After a semi-convoluted process of injecting the romhack into a VC for 3DS, I can confirm the issue was with the emulator, mGBA. I guess it wasn't reading something correctly? I thought I might lost all those three hours of gameplay, but thanks to this guide and this site that converts emulator .savs into vc .savs, I'm good! Idk if anyone else has had issues with emulators? After trying to edit my save, I can also confirm that the romhack isn't compatible with PKSM, editing the save results in a save corruption error. I don't know if this is worth looking into, because I know the hack isn't meant to allow cheating. I am pretty sure, however, that you could use PKSM to transfer FROM the romhack, which makes me happy that I'll be able to move my mons after I beat the game. I'm curious to see if PKHex would also cause a save corruption error.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey I just wanted to report something super strange that I'm not sure whether it has to do with the romhack itself or if somehow the hack wasn't installed correctly. Everything seems to be working completely fine EXCEPT every time I catch a pokemon, without fail the pokemon has a quiet nature. I've probably caught 20 pokemon now just to test it out, and obviously the odds of that happening randomly are vanishingly small.

If it is an issue with the romhack, you'd think someone would have run into it by now, but I can't seem to find any report of it. If it's an issue with my installation, does that mean I have to start over from scratch or is there some way to save my progress and not lose everything I've done up until now? I'm using mGBA on a 3DS, btw.

EDIT: I tried with a different patched rom, copied and renamed my save file, etc. and all new pokemon are still only quiet natured. Could it be a weird interaction between the emulator and the romhack?

EDIT 2: After a semi-convoluted process of injecting the romhack into a VC for 3DS, I can confirm the issue was with the emulator, mGBA. I guess it wasn't reading something correctly? I thought I might lost all those three hours of gameplay, but thanks to this guide and this site that converts emulator .savs into vc .savs, I'm good! Idk if anyone else has had issues with emulators? After trying to edit my save, I can also confirm that the romhack isn't compatible with PKSM, editing the save results in a save corruption error. I don't know if this is worth looking into, because I know the hack isn't meant to allow cheating. I am pretty sure, however, that you could use PKSM to transfer FROM the romhack, which makes me happy that I'll be able to move my mons after I beat the game. I'm curious to see if PKHex would also cause a save corruption error.
    The thing about editing the savefile is "intended". External programs that read the savedata know exactly in which part of the .sav they have to look for something. Modern Emerald modifies certain structures of the .sav which makes these programs not know where the information they are looking for is. In other words, it's not compatible not because I don't want, but because save edition relies on the program knowing where to find the data.
    I'll add it to the FAQ.

Hello, is DexNav in this game or not? I'M at Brawly now and I was just wondering.
    No, it does not and will never do.

is it possible to add like a setting for like infinite wonder trades?
    It's not a bad idea honestly.

Days
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    I also just wanted to add for everyone reading that the reason all the Pokemon I was catching were Quiet nature was because of Gen 8 Synchronize (which I hadn't played so wasn't aware of). My Ralts has a Quiet nature so everything I caught was also Quiet. Nothing wrong with the romhack!

SpringtraP-MasK

Just a Artist
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    hay i was wondering a few things

* is this game still usable with colosseum if you dont use the newer evos form future gens?
    * what are the added regis abilitys in this game (not a fan of slow start at all)
    * is there tutors for moves/eggmoves and evi iv stuff?
    * are the cross gen evos from legends arceus going to be added?

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Hi, firstly allow me to just say thank you for this rom hack. As a child Emerald always seemed this big to me, giving me hundreds of hours/memories; with yours it feels like that all over again and i know theres even a few more things you added so ive got even a few extras to solve.

One thinf i think would be a cool addition or optional patch (granted i have ZERO knowledge on how ANY of this rom hacking stuff works so idk how big/small a feat this is so)...resuable pokeballs until catch.

I seen it in another RH but i cant remember the name or id link it, but the pokeballs were reusable until a catch was made, but they were also a lot more scarce as hidden items in the world and the prices in shops were increased to balance everything out.

This would help a lot with say shiny hunting if you wanted to play on vanilla and/or help with save states not being needed as much.

But as stated, amazing job. Its the perfect breath of fresh air that Emerald needed.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    hay i was wondering a few things

* is this game still usable with colosseum if you dont use the newer evos form future gens?
    * what are the added regis abilitys in this game (not a fan of slow start at all)
    * is there tutors for moves/eggmoves and evi iv stuff?
    * are the cross gen evos from legends arceus going to be added?
    1. I don't know and I have no means of testing. You can try it out and let us know, if you want.
    2. Regigigas has Guts (as it's mostly a trophy and Slow Start is not fun) and Regidrago and Regieleki have Dragon's Maw and Transistor respectively.
    3. Tutors are Emerald default as most moves are the same and new moves are learned via level-up.
    4. No.
    Hi, firstly allow me to just say thank you for this rom hack. As a child Emerald always seemed this big to me, giving me hundreds of hours/memories; with yours it feels like that all over again and i know theres even a few more things you added so ive got even a few extras to solve.

One thinf i think would be a cool addition or optional patch (granted i have ZERO knowledge on how ANY of this rom hacking stuff works so idk how big/small a feat this is so)...resuable pokeballs until catch.

I seen it in another RH but i cant remember the name or id link it, but the pokeballs were reusable until a catch was made, but they were also a lot more scarce as hidden items in the world and the prices in shops were increased to balance everything out.

This would help a lot with say shiny hunting if you wanted to play on vanilla and/or help with save states not being needed as much.

But as stated, amazing job. Its the perfect breath of fresh air that Emerald needed.
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but doing it requires too much: not only adding the option but also rebalancing the whole game around it while keeping the old balance, so I don't think I'll add it because of that. Sadly I can't add everything that people throw at me. There are many, many good ideas that are just too difficult, too time-consuming, and probably 1-2 people are going to use.
    I'm always open to pull requests on github though.

---------------------------
    I uploaded 1.5.6! Have fun!
    • Added the ability Pixilate to Sylveon (Thanks pinkshellos).
    • Type effectiveness of Hidden Power is now shown correctly (Also fixed by pinkshellos).

Days
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Ah, i see. Thats understandable, still one of if not the best hack ive played thus far and the fact youre still updating it just means itll get better with time regardless!!!

Back