• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    It's possible, sure. But a very large bag would also be slower to find things in, even if I added an auto-sort function.

Here are the existing items, categorized according to which new Bag pockets could exist:

• 34 medicines
    • 16 Balls
    • 17 Berries/Apricorns
    • 24 key items
    • 73 TMs/HMs
    • 90 other items

I might allow 20 items in the Medicine pocket and 20 in the Items pocket. Balls, Berries, Key Items, and TMs/HMs can fit all the types. If TMs were no longer stored as actual items, since they're infinite-use and don't need quantities, that would free up space for even more general items (which would end up being used for more held items).

Could you pull an HGSS and have Mom's shopping sprees delivered to you by a Poke Mart Delivery guy? Honestly, I wouldn't miss Mom spending my money on Super Potions while I'm sitting in Kanto with level 70s. You could make it so that she never buys you actual items and only buys decorations, which is what we all want her to do anyway. That would free you up to distribute the PC space into the bag. I don't think finding things is an issue. Maybe give us a "sort alphabetically" toggle and call it a day. In XYORAS it's impossible to find anything in main pocket too, due to 80 billion Mega Stones being in there, so I don't think it will be a big deal for this hack.

Also, do you have plans for more postgame? Maybe a more varied Battle Facility than the Battle Tower?

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Honestly, I wouldn't miss Mom spending my money on Super Potions while I'm sitting in Kanto with level 70s. You could make it so that she never buys you actual items and only buys decorations, which is what we all want her to do anyway. That would free you up to distribute the PC space into the bag.

I dunno, I like it when she buys Evolution Stones too, since they are pretty damn rare pre-Elite four. But if she just bought decorations and evo stones, that would be fantastic.

Oh, one question - can you allow Ledyba / Ledian and Pineco / Forretress to learn a physical Bug type move? A base 35 Special Attack is pretty useless for running Bug Buzz. I know they don't really have the appendages for Fury Cutter, X-Scissor or Megahorn, but putting in a move like Bug Bite would be helpful for both of them to make them more useful. As it stands, Ledian is essentially just a pure fighting type with extra weaknesses, and Forretress has just... nothing useful offensively until Iron Head all the way in the 40's.

So far, every other movepool and learnset I've seen has been amazingly well-balanced and true to the newest gens, so I applaud you for that :) Just want those two bug types to be up to snuff a bit.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Could you pull an HGSS and have Mom's shopping sprees delivered to you by a Poke Mart Delivery guy? Honestly, I wouldn't miss Mom spending my money on Super Potions while I'm sitting in Kanto with level 70s. You could make it so that she never buys you actual items and only buys decorations, which is what we all want her to do anyway. That would free you up to distribute the PC space into the bag. I don't think finding things is an issue. Maybe give us a "sort alphabetically" toggle and call it a day. In XYORAS it's impossible to find anything in main pocket too, due to 80 billion Mega Stones being in there, so I don't think it will be a big deal for this hack.

Also, do you have plans for more postgame? Maybe a more varied Battle Facility than the Battle Tower?

If the item PC has to be removed to make room for more Bag pockets, then I guess I will, but otherwise I don't mind it being there. There are many items which you don't need to carry around, like Stones and unused held items, and you also don't need four kinds of Potion at once.

I dunno, I like it when she buys Evolution Stones too, since they are pretty damn rare pre-Elite four. But if she just bought decorations and evo stones, that would be fantastic.

Oh, one question - can you allow Ledyba / Ledian and Pineco / Forretress to learn a physical Bug type move? A base 35 Special Attack is pretty useless for running Bug Buzz. I know they don't really have the appendages for Fury Cutter, X-Scissor or Megahorn, but putting in a move like Bug Bite would be helpful for both of them to make them more useful. As it stands, Ledian is essentially just a pure fighting type with extra weaknesses, and Forretress has just... nothing useful offensively until Iron Head all the way in the 40's.

So far, every other movepool and learnset I've seen has been amazingly well-balanced and true to the newest gens, so I applaud you for that :) Just want those two bug types to be up to snuff a bit.

So Ledian's official learnset also lacks physical Bug moves, but it could learn U-Turn via TM. A couple of ideas:

• Change an attack from Normal to Bug, perhaps Fury Attack (or False Swipe).
    • Replace Fury Cutter with U-Turn.

Those two changes can complement each other, since Bug-type Fury Attack would be a good substitute for Fury Cutter in learnsets. What do y'all think? Are there better alternatives? Would Fury Cutter be missed? As the counterpart to Fury Attack, should Fury Swipes be retyped (and to what)?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    There's a door-shaped groove in the rock. Saw that in Ruins of Alph, what does that mean?

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    Also, where can I find some gold leaves?

oh nvm i wasnt reading lol

You can find some with the ITEMFINDER (you find this ?tem in Ecruteak city in the house next to pkm center), these leaves are hidden in certain areas of the yellow forest. Also you can get unlimited Gold leaves stealing them from Bellprouts with the move "thief" cuz the 50% of this pkm are holding this ?tem, as well as Oodish are holding the "Silver leaf", pD: (lance give you TM-Thief afther you help him to finish with team rocket in Mohagany town). Good Luck!!

Years
    There's something that always bothered me in Gen II, Hitmonchan with pink gloves, Is it possible to make them like the Original Artwork, or something similar?

uchihamadada

Years
    There's something that always bothered me in Gen II, Hitmonchan with pink gloves, Is it possible to make them like the Original Artwork, or something similar?

Nice observation buddy, same problem with Zapdos and his very Loooooooooong peck in front sprite haha {XD}

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023

Nice observation buddy, same problem with Zapdos and his very Loooooooooong peck in front sprite haha {XD}

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. Fixed:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Also, Red's Pikachu has its own sprite now, resembling the original design:

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Please check out the new poll!

By switching from the stat experience system to an EV system, I can free up some bytes in the Pok?mon data structure and use them for more things, like making gender+shininess+nature independent of IVs.

Without a cap of 510 EVs total, this change will be invisible to the player?Pok?mon stat ranges will be the same, and there'll just be a subtle difference in how much you gain from battles (stat experience gain was based directly on your opponent's base stats, whereas EV gain is based on separate values which are kind of proportional to base stats, e.g. Electrode has very high base Speed to it gives 2 Speed EVs).

On the one hand, an EV cap will be true to the new generations. On the other hand, it's another thing to worry about when training. Optimizing EVs will mean grinding against the correct wild Pok?mon, and you'll need new Berries to reset badly-distributed EVs.

What does everyone think? Would EVs be a welcome change?

uchihamadada

Years
    Interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. Fixed:

Also, Red's Pikachu has its own sprite now, resembling the original design:

OMG, you are fast Rangi! Now they look better...and nice Pikachu sprite :)
    You know, few minutes ago i was catching Lugia and i remember the Shadow Lugia from Pokemon XD-Gale of darkness...maybe you can add that alternate palette as the diferent pikachus that you alredy did {:3}

uchihamadada

Years

By switching from the stat experience system to an EV system, I can free up some bytes in the Pok?mon data structure and use them for more things, like making gender+shininess+nature independent of IVs.

Without a cap of 510 EVs total, this change will be invisible to the player?Pok?mon stat ranges will be the same, and there'll just be a subtle difference in how much you gain from battles (stat experience gain was based directly on your opponent's base stats, whereas EV gain is based on separate values which are kind of proportional to base stats, e.g. Electrode has very high base Speed to it gives 2 Speed EVs).

On the one hand, an EV cap will be true to the new generations. On the other hand, it's another thing to worry about when training. Optimizing EVs will mean grinding against the correct wild Pok?mon, and you'll need new Berries to reset badly-distributed EVs.

Well, that will be a great change, but i think it'll be good one. especially for this "I can free up some bytes in the Pok?mon data structure and use them for more things, like making gender+shininess+nature independent of IVs".

About EV's. we will just have to be a little more careful when training our Pkms, and try to send them to fight agains those who benefit their specific stats that we want to improve.

At least i approve the idea :)

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022

I would like to see EV's provided there's somewhere you can go to specifically train EV's and they tell you how many EV's your pokemon has. Like an EV training center somewhere

uchihamadada

Years
    I would like to see EV's provided there's somewhere you can go to specifically train EV's and they tell you how many EV's your pokemon has. Like an EV training center somewhere

Wooow, actually this is a great idea (EV training center), in PKM XD-Gale of darkness alredy exist a place called "Mt. Batlle", It consists of 10 áreas where each of them have 9 trainers and a boss área leader:

Mt. Battle Area 7 - level 57+ Pokémon
    1st trainer: 5 Speed EVs
    2nd trainer: 6 Speed EVs
    3rd trainer: 8 Speed EVs
    4th trainer: 10 Speed EVs
    5th trainer: 12 Speed EVs
    6th trainer: 5 Sp. Atk EVs
    7th trainer: 9 Sp. Atk EVs
    8th trainer: 7 Sp. Atk EVs
    9th trainer: 8 Sp. Atk EVs
    10th trainer: 13 Sp. Atk EVs

Mt. Battle Area 8 - level 62+ Pokémon
    1st trainer: 6 Sp. Def EVs
    2nd trainer: 5 Sp. Def EVs
    3rd trainer: 9 Sp. Def EVs
    4th trainer: 8 Sp. Def EVs
    5th trainer: 13 Sp. Def EVs (inc. 2 legendaries)
    6th trainer: 5 Attack EVs
    7th trainer: 6 Attack EVs
    8th trainer: 9 Attack EVs
    9th trainer: 10 Attack EVs
    10th trainer: 13 Attack EVs

Mt. Battle Area 9 - level 63+ Pokémon
    1st trainer: 8 HP EVs
    2nd trainer: 7 HP EVs
    3rd trainer: 8 HP EVs
    4th trainer: 8 HP EVs
    5th trainer: 8 HP EVs
    6th trainer: 6 Defense EVs
    7th trainer: 9 Defense EVs
    8th trainer: 7 Defense EVs
    9th trainer: 9 Defense EVs
    10th trainer: 12 Defense EVs

Maybe a place like this...{:3}

Years
    By switching from the stat experience system to an EV system, I can free up some bytes in the Pokémon data structure and use them for more things, like making gender+shininess+nature independent of IVs.

That's a pretty cool proposed feature! Specially because when assembling "pseudo-competitive" teams sometimes there are Nature+Hidden Power DV combinations that are kind of a bummer, i. e.: Hidden Power Fire and Ground require par DVs for Attack and Defense, but that makes a good special attacker forgo max HP DV and have to rely on -Def or SpDef Natures.

Without a cap of 510 EVs total, this change will be invisible to the player—Pokémon stat ranges will be the same, and there'll just be a subtle difference in how much you gain from battles (stat experience gain was based directly on your opponent's base stats, whereas EV gain is based on separate values which are kind of proportional to base stats, e.g. Electrode has very high base Speed to it gives 2 Speed EVs).

On the one hand, an EV cap will be true to the new generations. On the other hand, it's another thing to worry about when training. Optimizing EVs will mean grinding against the correct wild Pokémon, and you'll need new Berries to reset badly-distributed EVs.

I've been thinking about a way to balance Pokemon stats or movesets to make more species viable in a "meta" context for a while, and maybe the solution would be just remove the EV limit. That makes training a lot more hassle free as you won't need to worry about where to train your Pokes and makes all the ones you capture and use in a regular gameplay usable both inside and outside the history.

Maybe if there could be the possibility to add the EV cap into the "Faithful" version and remove it in the modded one could make everyone happy (at least the ones that love Vanilla version games).

Thanks a lot for your work!

uchihamadada

Years
    Hi Rangi, I have a petition...if it's possible...
    Do you think you could make the farmer on Route 39 (moo-moo farm) sell us the moo-moo milks per dozen? Like in Pokemon Black/White2 in Castelia City sell us the Castelia Cones (Max a dozen per day) or Moo-moo milks in that Market in Driftveil City...I think the farmer makes us wait too long to sell us just ONE Moo-moo milk :(

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023

Wooow, actually this is a great idea (EV training center), in PKM XD-Gale of darkness alredy exist a place called "Mt. Batlle", It consists of 10 áreas where each of them have 9 trainers and a boss área leader:

I have two ideas for EV training. One, add trainers in Viridian's Trainer House with good EV teams. Two, edit the Safari Zone to have six areas dedicated to the six stats.

maybe the solution would be just remove the EV limit

Yes, that's what I'm asking about in the poll question. Without a 510 total limit, EVs will be basically the same as stat experience, except the quantities gained will be simpler ("gain +2 Attack, +1 Speed" instead of "gain proportional to the foe's base stats").

However, the consensus here and on Skeetendo seems to be that EV training is a neat feature, assuming there's a way to train them and reset them.

Do you think you could make the farmer on Route 39 (moo-moo farm) sell us the moo-moo milks per dozen?

Yeah, that's doable.

uchihamadada

Years
    I have two ideas for EV training. One, add trainers in Viridian's Trainer House with good EV teams. Two, edit the Safari Zone to have six areas dedicated to the six stats.

Yeah, that's doable.

Nice!! Both options sounds good for me, especially Safari zone...about the Trainer House, It may be possible that the receptionist asked us if we just want to fight (Kay/Cal) or we want EV training (similar to Rei asking us if we want bless one pkm or we want to battle agains her).

And...about Moo-moo milks, i recommend that we can buy just a dozen per day (or, choosing the number of bottles of milk that we want from 1-12) like Castelia cones (these or just 1 at day or the entire dozen) {:3}

Years
    I don't agree about the addition of EVs. I'm a supporter of the classic Gen II Stat Experience. Things like Natures and EVs are too complicated for me (I tried to learn about them, but simply I just can't). I only play GB/GBC Pokémon Hacks, because I don't have to care about those things when I'm building my team or during the training. Just my opinion, I wanted to express it. I respect what others say. :)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I don't agree about the addition of EVs. I'm a supporter of the classic Gen II Stat Experience. Things like Natures and EVs are too complicated for me (I tried to learn about them, but simply I just can't). I only play GB/GBC Pokémon Hacks, because I don't have to care about those things when I'm building my team or during the training. Just my opinion, I wanted to express it. I respect what others say. :)

I can understand that. Frankly, you don't have to pay attention to them unless you're doing competitive battling.

If you play the game normally, your Pokémon will probably have evenly-distributed EVs, which translates to "all its stats are increased a little bit". Optimal EV training could pick two stats to increase a lot and ignore the others, and the old stat experience system would increase all the stats by a lot.

Natures raise one stat by 10% and lower one by 10%. Polished Crystal indicates this with arrows on the stat screen. (RSE had no in-game indicator, and modern games use red and blue colors which I always get mixed up.) Again, if you're just battling the in-game AI they won't matter too much. Still, if you catch something like a Modest Alakazam (Attack Sp.Atk) then that's much better than an Adamant one (Attack Sp.Atk).

Back