• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokémon Trainer Wally

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Wally, along with May/Brendan, is one of your rivals in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. He first makes his appearance in Petalburg City, showing you how to catch Pokémon. You run into him two - three more times later down the road, and are required to battle him. Anyway, so, what is your overall opinion on Wally? Are you satisfied with his involvement in-game, or would you have liked it if he were more involved? When battling him, how difficult was it for you? Of all his Pokémon, which is your most favorite? Discuss, guys. :]

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Haha, Wally. I feel bad for crushing a sick boy's dreams of becoming someone important. Wally was always easy to beat, except for when he became cheap as hell when the player is at the end of the Victory Road (technically he was always to beat because you fight him twice, not counting rematches, and he has a Level 16 Ralts the first time). Anyways, they should have made Wally more important, since he was never there to help you with Team Magma/Aqua or something, he just minded his own business.

EDIT: Oh yeah my favorite of his Pokemon (if that makes sense :p) is his Ralts. I don't think there's much of an explanation needed :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I liked Wally as a character, but he seemed like a missed opportunity, and should've shown up more along the way like a true rival. Aside from the throw away meeting in Mauville, you only have one true battle with him, and that's inside Victory Road near the end of the game. Considering the illness that he had when you first met him, I would've liked to see his progression a lot more, rather than going from sick kid, to not-so sick kid, to super trainer.

Maybe if we'd had more of a jerk rival a la Blue/Silver then I would've enjoyed Wally a bit more, since he'd be seen as friendly comeptition instead of a weak replacement for May/Brendan after they give up on training.

Years
  • I really liked Wally. He was an interesting character, and the illness he suffered (which is pretty similar to asthma) is definitely a first for a rival, especially given most rivals are jerks or childhood friends so it was nice to see something different with him. My fave Pokemon of his has to be that Ralts he starts his journey with, which eventually evolves into a really strong Gardevoir.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    They wasted so much character development opportunity while they put in somebody interesting like Wally. We only meet him, what, three times and battle him twice. If he was a consistent rival throughout the game (unlike the weak May/Brendan), we could actually see how he turned from a pushover kid with a sorry illness to a serious trainer. By the time I reached the end of Victory Road, I had totally forgotten about him.

Overall, he was a nice kid, just that he had too small a role in the game.

Zaakeil

Budding Beta-Tester
    Years
  • Yes, like everyone else here has already stated, there was a serious chance for Game Freak to have had a fantastic character progression with Wally. Personally, I think Wally should have been made the starting character instead of Brendan, but, oh well. Might make for an interesting ROM hack sometime.
    I mean, we see so many great characters have revelations and battle along side us and we battle them, etc. Not especially Wally though, he seemed like more of an ambitious joke more than anything, except at the end of Victory Road.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we had Steven, Wallace, Scott, Archie, and Maxie with their storyline progressions, but the two actual 'rivals' of May/Brendan and Wally were stagnant in their characters. They weren't even really used as foil characters, but more so as just... being used to fill a space. I mean there's even a change in Blue/Gary of the FR/LG and earlier games when he stops being suck a jerk. Emerald lacks that, and I would argue that Wally and May aren't even the real Rivals.

Wally sticks to his cave forever and May disappears into the sunset, where she says she's happy to know you. Sad, really.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    If they ever do a remake of Hoenn, I hope to Arceus that they give Wally more of an involvement with the story, maybe even give him the "Bill" treatment present in FR/LG and give him his own little side-quest or post-game story. Because he had to share rival time with May/Brendan, both ended up being severely underdeveloped and rather disappointing to me.
    He never really was much of a challenge in the games, but most of the trainers in that game weren't challenging to begin with. As for my favourite Pokemon of his...gonna go with Gardevoir, a safe and typical choice.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I think Wally was quite a nice addition to the game; he was a sick, fragile boy, who by the end of the game had grown into a strong trainer. Although I definitely think that they could of have given him more background, and a few more appearances in the game. Also, he was the only battle-able rival left once you had battled May/Brendan in front of the department store.

I also love that he caught a Ralts! It really reflected his personality though! Small, and quiet. I can't quite remember if you had a battle against him as a Kirlia, but him evolving his Gardevoir was quite nice. His Altaria was quite bulky, too <3;;

IeUaN_08

Researching
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    Definetly made the game "different" you kinda wanted him to be successful..... then crush his dreams!

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    On my first Emerald playthrough, Wally was a pain to beat at Victory Road. I can never get past him, so I eventually made a brand new save. But I personally think Wally is a good rival, who definitely has character! And I like his Altaria haha.

Years
  • Haha, Wally. I feel bad for crushing a sick boy's dreams of becoming someone important. Wally was always easy to beat, except for when he became cheap as hell when the player is at the end of the Victory Road (technically he was always to beat because you fight him twice, not counting rematches, and he has a Level 16 Ralts the first time). Anyways, they should have made Wally more important, since he was never there to help you with Team Magma/Aqua or something, he just minded his own business.

EDIT: Oh yeah my favorite of his Pokemon (if that makes sense :p) is his Ralts. I don't think there's much of an explanation needed :)

I felt bad for the poor guy too.

Did you guys know he is sick? Asthma or something, according to Bulbapedia.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wally_(game)
    Now I feel ever more sorry for him, he's a really cool, nice guy.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • He should have had a better role in the games the fact that his only role was to be the last trainer in victory road is really degrading

Back