• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completed Event Pokémon VGM Sharing! - Event Finished!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokémon VGM
    Sharing Event!

Pokémon VGM Sharing! - Event Finished!

Event Information

Hello, all! Welcome to the Pokémon Video Game Music (VGM) Sharing Event!

This is an event where everyone can come together to share their favourite music tracks from the Pokémon series! Your choices will be pooled together to create a ranked list of all of the music pieces that have been submitted, after which everyone gets to guess and identify which tracks are the popular!

Now that we've gotten the basic purpose of this event out of the way, let's get on to some rules and specifics!

General Information:

• This event will be split into 3 rounds, Music Submission, Music Identification, and Music Ranking.
    • Music Submission: There is a Google Forms linked from this post - please fill out your PokéCommunity Username, your team, and your music choices. This form will be open until 11:59pm EST on August 15th. In other words, you have 4 whole days to submit your choices!
    • Music Submission: On the form, there will be 4 questions. The first of which is asking for your top 5 favourite music tracks from the entire series - this includes any spinoffs. The next 3 will ask for your favourite core series music that fit a certain criteria. Here is a list of core series games:
      Spoiler:
    • Music Submission: For question 2, Town/City theme refers to well, any town or city in any of the core series games. For clarity, I'll count any special buildings located in towns/cities (Contest Halls, Pokémon Centers, Battle Frontier and its facilities, etc.) and any events that take part in towns/cities (follow Oak, etc.) as part of being in the Town/City category. Question 3 - Battle/Encounter music should be self-explanatory but this also applies to the music that plays when a Trainer has noticed you and is talking to you. Question 4 is just everything else that is not applicable for the other two.
    • Music Identification: After the music submissions close, I will make a post in this thread with everyone's top 5 music choices (question 1) and the tracks will be "nameless". The number is variable depending on the number of participants and the diversity of the music they select. Participants will then have 4 days (that is, until 11:59pm EST on August 20th) to identify and rank the music, after which ranking submissions for the event will be closed. Submissions during this part of the event can be done via PM on PokéCommunity or via DM on Discord (5qwerty#0466).
    • Music Ranking: After all of the answers for the identification round have been submitted, I will post a list of the Top 20 (with ties) songs, and you will have to rank them. This portion will also last 4 days. You will also have to answer some questions regarding questions 2, 3, and 4 (from the submission portion), which can boost your ranking score.
    • All: After all the submissions, I will post the winners, along with some statistics about the songs that have been submitted by everyone. Oh, and I'll post everyone's favourite songs too!

Rules and other specifics:

• All: Only one submission per participant for all rounds of the event. Multiple submissions will not count and may be grounds for disqualification depending on intent. However if there are honest mistakes, please contact me.
    • Music Submission: either send a YouTube link to the track or include where the music plays and what game it's from and be as specific if possible. For example, Route 1 exists in multiple games, so I won't know which Route 1 music you're referring to unless you specify the game. If your answer is too unclear or ambiguous, I may not count it.
    • Music Submission: Depending on how the submissions are, I may count multiple iterations of the song as one song. For example, if people put Route 201 but some like the Day version while some like the Night version and some like the DPPt version while some like the BDSP version, then it's possible that I count it as one song in the final statistics since it's still the same song, in a way.
    • Music Submission: On that note, please do not have multiple versions of a song for your top 5 favourites (question 1).
    • Music Submission: You are allowed to submit less than 5 songs for question 1, but please fill out 5 if you can.
    • Music Submission: If it wasn't clear already, your submissions for question 1 can overlap with any of your submissions for questions 2, 3, and 4.
    • For rankings, I'll be calculating how close your rankings for each track relative to its true position, with more weight given to songs whose true rankings are near the top.
    • Lastly, please remember that this event is mostly so that everyone can share their favourite tracks and have fun!

Scoring:

• 5 points will be given to participants who submit their music choices (Google Forms).
    • 5 points will be given to participants who submit their music identification.
    • 5 points will be given to participants who submit their music ranking.
    • 20, 10, and 5 points will be given to the top 3 participants who correctly identified the most songs, in order of 1st to 3rd.
    • 20, 10, and 5 points will be given to the top 3 participants who were closest in their rankings of the songs, in order of 1st to 3rd.
    • In the case of any ties, any tying party will receive full points for their placement.

Achievements:

These are going to be one per team. Even if multiple people on the same team meet these criteria, the points will only be awarded once to each team.

• PokéMusic Listener - 5 points - Correctly identify over 80% of the songs during the identification round.
    • PokéMusic Connoisseur - 10 points - Correctly identify over 90% of the songs during the identification round.
    • PokéMusic Maestro - 20 points - Correctly identify all of the songs during the identification round.
    • Ranking Genius - 5 points - Rank no song greater than (X/5) placements away from its true ranking, where X is the total number of songs to rank.
    • Ranking Wizard - 10 points - Rank no song greater than (X/10) placements away from its true ranking, where X is the total number of songs to rank.
    • You Should Create Your Own Tierlist - 20 points - Rank no song greater than 2 placements away from its true ranking. This achievement is not available unless X is at least 40.

Final Details:

The event has concluded! Please see the final post for more information!

:)

If there are any questions at all, feel free to reach out to me. Have fun and may we all enjoy some good music together!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey all the Google Forms is now closed! I will tally up the submissions and have the next portion of the event up some time during the next day (hopefully). The results are a bit different than what I thought it would be (why I thought it would be anything other than this is beyond me), so there may be some changes to the ranking/guessing format.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Round 2
    Begins!

Hey all! I've compiled the list and... Wow! That's a pretty diverse tracklist!

First of all, if you did not participate in the previous round of this event, that's ok! You're still eligible to participate in this round and the next!

Now it's time for the track identifying portion of this event! I have to admit that I hadn't thought that far ahead, and now you guys are stuck trying to identify 86 tracks from the Pokémon series. These tracks were taken from everyone's top 5 songs, so these include spinoffs. These do not include any additional submissions made in the "core series" section.

The reason I included every song because in the end, I did want to showcase everyone's favourite music because that's what this event is all about. There are definitely a lot of tracks and can be overwhelming - but as you listen, take note of any new tracks that stand out to you. There have been a bunch of songs that I hadn't listened to before that are actually very nice to listen to and I will for sure add them to my playlist.

When making your guesses, try to guess the game along with the track name. If you can't, that's okay, but more credit will be given to those who do get the game correct as well. Remember, there are points up for grabs for the top performers in this stage!

Lastly, like with Trivia, do not specifically look for the track names with intent. This would include googling songs or opening up your game to go to certain locations, etc. If you happen to stumble upon something, then that's fine.

However, if something is on the tip of your tongue or you suspect the song you're listening to is what you have in your head, but you want to make sure, you're allowed to search it up to confirm. Again, you can't go searching for songs to try and find what you don't know. As an example, I may suspect the song I'm listening to is from Pallet Town from FRLG, but I'm not completely sure - I'm allowed to search this. On the other hand, if I have no clue or maybe a tiny clue of what I'm listening to, I can't just scour the entire soundtrack until I find it.

Please PM on the forums or DM me (5qwerty) on Discord to send in your answers. The window for this portion closes at 11:59pm EST on August 20th.

Have fun!

Song List:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey all, after some reflection, I've decided to add this extra clause to the rules. Hopefully this can help everyone identify their tracks!

However, if something is on the tip of your tongue or you suspect the song you're listening to is what you have in your head, but you want to make sure, you're allowed to search it up to confirm. Again, you can't go searching for songs to try and find what you don't know. As an example, I may suspect the song I'm listening to is from Pallet Town from FRLG, but I'm not completely sure - I'm allowed to search this. On the other hand, if I have no clue or maybe a tiny clue of what I'm listening to, I can't just scour the entire soundtrack until I find it.

To everyone who has submitted already, you're allowed to send me another copy of your answers if you wish. If you don't remember what you sent last time, you can ask me to send it back to you for you to edit (in case you don't save your sent PMs).

Back