• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Wayfarer: DevLog #2 "Slow and Steady"

Days
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Pokémon Wayfarer
    ~First time I'm managing a forum Thread, please don't shoot me.
    Welcome, wayfarer, to what is to be a journey to remember!
    Pokémon Wayfarer is to be a long-form pokemon adventure spanning the first four pokemon world regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. This fan game will, for better or worse, re-imagine level scaling, evolution, pokemon growth, battle progress, difficulty floor, ceiling and the in-between.

Planned Features and their Progress:
    - Re-imagined leveling system [Scripts finished]
    - Re-imagined evolution system [Scripts finished]
    - Re-imagined/Re-balanced battle progression
    - More long-term pokemon growth
    - No area-based or region based level scaling
    - 100% mapped out and re-imagined first 4 regions of the pokemon world (Starting with Hoenn) [Hoenn done <10%}
    - Appropriate [Trainer] - [Gym Leader] - [E4] difficulty
    - Fakemons in evolutionary lines where I deem them needed
    - Re-balance and improvements to various evolutionary lines
    - Overall commitment to a certain form of "realism"

I'll put out DevLogs every other week or so, when I've made a chunk of progress to keep those interested up-to-date and informed (and hopefully drive up traffic for the thread). I won't be revealing everything that I've put in through the devlogs, as I'll want people to explore and find stuff themselves once the game is out.

DevLog #2 "Slow and steady"
    Work has been moving slowly, but steadily. I've caught some intel on how long it takes people to get their fangames to a "1.0" release, and the answer was roughly a year... Yeah, I can feel it now. In-between work and free time however, I have been putting together some good stuff, worked on some quality "cutscenes", have fullproofed the start of the game and populated a bunch of the maps with various NPCs (noteworthy and not).
    I've also nailed down the "plot" of the game, it'll generally follow the RSE story, just with a few extra bits and pieces that will develop into something tangible down the line hopefully.
    Pokémon Wayfarer: DevLog #2 "Slow and Steady"Pokémon Wayfarer: DevLog #2 "Slow and Steady"
    As for the balance part of things, I'm still trying to nail it down - as much balancing as I've done on my other projects, everything came in retroactively after players completely broke one number or another, I doubt that this will be any different, but I'm at least trying. The game is going to have a slow start with trainers taking a bit of time and a few of them requiring a couple of tries to take down, but you'll be given plenty of tools to get through the early game, until you get a solid team.
    The battles are slower, so status effects and stat alterations are extra important.
    I've been doing a bunch of work on small stuff behind the scenes, so there's not much to show otherwise, but I wanted to put out a DevLog just to show that this is still moving forward.
    ~ See you next time, wayfarers!

Spoiler: DevLog#1 "From your own burrow, to Rustboro"

Spoiler: Original Post Ramble (DevLog #0)

Do I think that the changes I'm making should be put into the official pokemon games (asides from mapping) - no, god no. But it's what I want out of my side project :).

Last edited:

Nanulak

A ghost in the snow
    Days
    Nice! And welcome to the forums! I'm new here too, and it's nice to see other people interested in Fakemon! I'm honestly gonna have to find a way to get you to make my region's map lol

Back