• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon you hate/like that everyone seems to like/hate?

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Title says it all. Is there a Pokémon you dislike that everyone seems to like and/or vice versa? I got a few.

Pokémon I dislike that everyone seems to like:
    • Arceus: This Pokémon brings back some bitter memories. My hated for this thing somes from the Arceus Event in HGSS, but that's a different rant. That event in my opinion has killed a lot of the continuity of the series.
    • Dewott: Boring. This Pokémon actually used to be one of my favourites, but I got bored with it very quickly. No matter how many people I come across, many people talk about how amazing it is, but I'd pick Samurott over this bland thing anyday.

Pokémon I like that everyone seems to dislike:
    • Throh and Sawk: More specifically, Sawk, but Throh counts as well. Their designs are very interesting, as well as the fact that they can be caught early in Black and White. Did you know that according to a review with Ken Sugimori, these two are based on the Oni, the classic Japanese demon? I find that to be a very interesting choice.
    • Klefki: This may sound crazy, but from a critic's point of view, I think that Klefki has the best design of any Pokémon. When it comes to character designing, the most important thing to designing one is how identifiable it is. If you can recognize a character with a silhouette very quickly, then you got a good design. Klefki is a great example. It has a shape that stands out from any other Pokémon, which makes it the most identifiable Pokémon with a silhouette.

I'll add some more later, but for now, these are the few that come first when thinking about this sort of discussion.

pkmin3033

Lucario. I've never liked Lucario. I didn't like it's movie, I don't like how it replaced the vastly superior Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros., I don't like how damned useful it is in the games, and...ugh, I just don't like its design at all. Yet it is extremely popular. It bothers me a little bit, I'll admit.

I can't really think of any Pokemon I like that seem to be unpopular...does Claydol count? I love Claydol, from its wacky design to its delightfully tired-sounding dub voice. Sigilyph is another one I really like for how weird it is.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Samurott is amazing~ <3

Anyways, Pokemon I dislike everyone seems to like:

Lucario- This thing is everywhere and every time I see it I want to punch it. This thing won the Fighting type face off as its Mega form (even though Scrafty deserved it) and I just hate how Game Freak shoves it down our throats. Like Zeria said, I also don't like its design; far too generic looking and it looks ugly.

Mewtwo
    - I honestly don't like its design and also its Megas aren't any better. It happens to be my least favourite legendary.

Pikachu- I know this is the Pokemon mascot but something about it makes me not like it. I can't put a finger on it but it's probably because of its design that annoys me. Also, I don't like the pikaclones either (besides Marill).

Those are the ones that first come to mind~

Pokemon I like that everyone seems to hate:

Emboar- I'll be honest, I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me thanks to the BW manga (Bo <3). Sure it's another Fire/Fighting type but regardless of that, Emboar has a neat design and it looks huggable.

Probopass
    - A lot of people criticize it for its big nose and mustache but to me it looks goofy and I love how silly it looks. Not all Pokemon have to look cool and fierce.

Garbodor
    - "oh look, a garbage bag Pokemon! They must be running out of ideas!" says mostly everyone. In my eyes, Garbodor is actually a really unique design and we've never had a Pokemon made from complete trash before (well there's Muk but Muk looks boring) and plus I think Garbodor looks colourful in a way.

Exploud- I like this Pokemon before the Boomburst hype and I still like it today. I think it was mostly hated due to its design and how forgettable it was. Not to me though, I love the monstrous look and being based off sound was an interesting choice~

There's more but I'll add them once I think about them~

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Exploud- I like this Pokemon before the Boomburst hype and I still like it today. I think it was mostly hated due to its design and how forgettable it was. Not to me though, I love the monstrous look and being based off sound was an interesting choice~
    I always liked the Whismur line, and Exploud was a really cool design and idea for a pokémon imo!

But my main man here is Octillery. I nearly never see it and I hear nobody talk about it. It's a forgotten pokémon but it's so cool! An octopus who knows (or is able to learn) nearly every ray or stream based attack there is. It's a cannon. Its design is very Johto. It's awesome. Remoraid is kind of dull, but it too knows cool attacks. More love for Octillery <3

Though, I don't think I've heard people talk badly of it, so it's not hated I guess, haha. Just... forgotten.

Years
  • Here's a "hated" Pokemon that I really love...

Vanillite's evolution line. The thing is so cute and I think it's an interesting design, an ice-cream cone. But most people think the thing is stupid and is one of the worst Pokemon designs ever, and is mainly to blame on 5th Gen getting hated a lot.

Not sure about a "well-loved" design that I hate, but one that does come to mind is Metagross. I think that the reason it's loved so much is because it's a pseudo-legend and has one of the coolest-looking shinies in the eyes of many, but I think the design looks a bit too weird to me.

Years
  • Here's a "hated" Pokemon that I really love...

Vanillite's evolution line. The thing is so cute and I think it's an interesting design, an ice-cream cone. But most people think the thing is stupid and is one of the worst Pokemon designs ever, and is mainly to blame on 5th Gen getting hated a lot.

I agree...I mean, I never really found it in myself to hate the Vanillite line, and they grew on me. ^^ They're cute, adorable ice cream cones. I don't exactly know why specifically, but that line in particular is just...endearing to me.

It may also be because the back of Vanilluxe's sprite in gen 5 has ice crystals arranged in a smile face, but that could just be me.

A Pokemon that people seem to like (or may not like) is Dragonite. I have to say...I liked Dratini and Dragonair. They were majestic and graceful and beautiful. And then...there's Dragonite. Mainly, it's like there's this one line that is perfect all the way until the last stage ruins it. It's...Dragonite. I've never really liked it, and it just seemed so out of place.

And no, I don't believe that Magikarp should have evolved into Dragonite and Dragonair should have evolved into Gyarados.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Popular things I'm not a fan of:

Lucario for more or less the reasons stated already. An Anubis/jackal kind of thing seems cool in theory but they just took it in a weird direction IMO, and it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Fighting types. And stuff with dangly things on their heads like that bother me for some reason.

Garchomp because while like Lucario, the concept of a land-shark dragon thing is cool, I just don't really like it much. Gible is adorable though. Also, Garchomp is hogging all the Ground/Dragon glory and leaving none for Flygon, one of my favorite Dragons.

Pokemon I like that no one else does:

Heliolisk. I don't think I've heard anyone actually **** on this Pokemon but I also don't hear anyone praise it either. It is my favorite because it's a gosh darn sunshine lizard. I freaking love it! And Helioptile is cute, too.

Archeops is again not something I've heard put down (though I'd imagine its ability would put people off), but being based on feathered theropods it is automatically my favorite fossil. Its ability makes me sad inside, though. Such a waste. And Archen is so adorable!

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I don't hate 'em but I definitely think that Blaziken, Lucario, Garchomp, Charizard, Gardevoir, Talonflame, Aegislash, Metagross, Salamence, Scizor, and a lot of the Legends are simply way overhyped. People just fangasming to such a ridiculous degree- it's easy to see why regular folk tend to view Pokémon fans as overgrown children.

Absolutely not a fan of a lot of the fourth gen evos and pretty much all the baby Pokémon, though.

As for 'Mons that I like that not many other people do- quite a few, by the looks of it.

Barbaracle, Muk, Magneton, Emboar, Electrode, Klefki, Avalugg, Parasect, Octillery, Exploud, Crawdaunt, Claydol, Glalie, Cyrogonal, Kricketune, Drifblim, Bronzong, Probopass, Gigalith, and Heatmor.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    I absolutely HATE Rotom and all of its forms but for some reason everyone else adores them -_- well you my friends can keep your magical appliances I on the other hand will just hang out with my Tropius.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I wouldn't say I really like them but there are numerous pokemon that get hated on to no end like Trubbish, Stunfisk, Klefki, Vanillish, Binacle etc that I'm either completely neutral towards or slightly positive.

I've warmed up to Stunfisk and Trubbish in particular recently.

This gen I'd definitely say Binacle and Barbaracle. I'm considering using a Barbaracle on my Pokémon Z team whenever it comes out.

Years
  • I never liked Lucario due to the hype it's recieved. I guess I don't see its greatness?

No one likes Slowbro, but he's my favorite pokemon.

Years
  • Pikachu: It just sucks horribly. Not a good electric type, everyone loves it only because its the "main" pokemon or whatever.
    Charizard: What is there to say ? By far the most overrated pokemon EVER!

Electivire: I dont think anybody really hates it, its just that i like it so much, and most people dont like it really well cause it used to be Paul's pokemon haha.

Well we all have our differences....but we can all agree that thing called lickilicky just sucks.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm personally not much of great Rotom fan, sadly. Majority of fans seem to like it due to its battling capabilities, but--I know this might be more related to my own skills--whenever I utilize this Pokémon, it doesn't exactly seem to take me too far. Also, don't really like its design, either. Though, what I do like about Rotom is its shape-shifting ability, which, I believe, is pretty cool!

Aside from that, I'm not too fond of Talonflame, either. Although it's fantastic when it comes to battling and whatnot, its design looks sort of average in my eyes (would've likely been taken negatively by some people had it been over-top, but it would have been great if they were able to find some middle-ground of sorts). If it weren't for that, definitely would have been a full-fledged fan.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Popular things I'm not a fan of:

garchomp : it's like it was overdone, too many details. I don't hate it though, it's pretty cool (and is amazingly powerful), but I prefer more elegant or a bit simplier designs.
    rotom: I didn't like it very much. And then I saw it on competitive teams. Since then I officialy hated it.
    blaziken: why bother with it when you get sceptile?

Pokemon I like that no one else does:

Mr. Mime: probably because it was a "rare" pokemon to me in the first game games, and its really creepy, which is cool.
    Exxegcute/exeggutor: I have a weakness for psychic pokemon, specially for dual type psychics (slowbro, starmie, claydol, metagross, etc..except jinx, jinx is awful), and exxegutor's design is one of the funniest out there for me.
    Muk and Weezing: both of them represent poison type perfectly, they look like they could contaminate a place just by standing there.

Years
  • Honestly, I dislike Charizard and Rotom, I guess I did in the past, but I just learned to hate them after a while. Charizard is really boring and overrated, but I guess his mega in X is pretty rad. As for Rotom, I liked it up until the event in Platinum when it could change forms

As for Pokemon I like, Stunfisk is awesome in my opinion I love its type and I've always used it on my team in Black/White

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Pokemon Others Like - That I Hate

Charizard - never liked it's design since gen 1, I don't like dragons or reptiles much in real life, and all the attention it gets, and even getting two Mega Evolution - makes me like it even less
    Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja - not sure why everyone likes them - but me, I don't like frogs and I don't like ninjas, reason enough for me stay away from them
    Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken - since the first time I seen them, I really hated it's design.
    Pikachu - may be the mascot, but it's boring and overated, getting high priority in the anime makes it more annoying than ever, it's currenlty my least favorite Pokemon ever (719th favorite)

the ones that come to mind:
    Pokemon I Love - Others Hate:

Patrat/Watchog - they are my top 2 favorite Pokemon, main reason for me loving them - partly based on Meerkats (those are my favorite real world animals). I also love using them both in team and online, they always surprise me.
    I have a part of my room dedicated to them, take a peek:
    Spoiler:

Emolga and Pachirisu - many hate them for being "PikaKnockOffs" but I hate Pikachu and really love squirrels more than mice (exceptions are Rattata, Raticate, and Raichu). So I prefer those two over Pikachu all the time.
    Rest of the "Early Normal Types" (Rattata, Raticate, Sentret, Furret, Zigzagoon, Linoone, Bidoof, Bibarel, -Two above- , Bunnelby, and Diggersby) - they have fun and good looking design (at least for me) love the animals they are based on

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    Pokemon I hate everyone else likes:

Generation 1

- I've never liked Charizard much. It's not that I hate it, it's just too glorified. There are way better Fire Pokemon.

- Magneton seems to be really popular, and I don't know why. People usually hate object-based Pokemon, so why is Magneton different? Sure, it's useful, but its design is just... well, bad.

- It's a fat, burning duck with a butt on top of its head, and it looks like it stole Charmeleon's tail. Never liked it.

- Boy, I sure dislike fake dragons. I don't like Gyarados because it's always been useless in my team. Maybe I don't know how to battle with a Gyarados, or maybe it's just oversold. Either way, I don't like it.

Generation 2

- Okay, it's not that I dislike Scizor, but I think it ruined Scyther. Scyther's design is better, and it doesn't take 4x damage from fire, like Scizor.

Generation 3

- Ugh, Gardevoir is way too popular everywhere. Never understood why. I don't like its design nor do I like using it in-game.

- I've never noticed how popular Flygon is until people started literally begging for it to receive a Mega Evolution. With those eyes, Flygon reminds me of, well... flies. And I hate flies.

- Deoxys maybe has a cool design, but it's weak. Horribly weak. I've used one in Fire Red, and it died all the time. Was really annoying, that's why I started disliking it.

Generation 4

- Giant deer-something Pokemon god? Yeah, I don't think so....
    Generation 4 is my least favorite generation. I don't know of any Pokemon that are "loved by everyone and hated by few" except for the starters, Lucario, Luxray, Glaceon, Leafeon & Garchomp, and I, too, think they're great, so their place isn't on this list.

Generation 5

- Never really cared about Snivy much. My starter was Oshawott, and it's awesome and cute, and then Samurott is amazing! Sorry, Snivy.

- Square dragon? Not for me, thanks.

- Never liked three-headed Pokemon, and since Hydreigon's a dragon, a lot of people love it. Not me.

Generation 6

- Whether I like or dislike a Pokemon is based mostly on its design, and Delphox's ear hair really irritates me.

- Too fabulous.

Pokemon I love everyone else hates

Generation 1

- Victreebel is awesome. It was part of my team on my first ever playthrough of Pokemon Blue, so I've always liked it.

- It may be a palmtree with eggs growing on it, but its cool name and not-THAT-bad design make up for it, right? Right?

- Dragonite is awesome! I can see how it kinda ruined Dragonair's elegant, beautiful design, but I just love Dragonite!

Generation 2

- Ledian may be one of the weak Pokemon that can be acquired at the beginning of the game, but just look at it. Looks like a bug astronaut! That's awesome.

- I don't know why I like Celebi, all I know is that I do.

Generation 3

- Zigzagoon is being disliked by many for its uselessness, but it's adorable. It's probably the only one of the "normal starter Pokemon" that I like.

- I feel really neutral about Glalie, I just don't know why it's hated so much.

- Same as with Celebi. I guess I just like tiny legendary Pokemon. Except for those in generation 4, they're bad.

Generation 4

- Bronzor was really funny in the Zoroark movie. That's why I like it now xD

Generation 5

- And Throh, too. They're cool.

- It was part of my team in my White playthrough. Liked it ever since.

- This thing is creepy and awesome at the same time. It's an exception to the rule (The rule being that Pokemon based on inanimate objects are badly designed).

Generation 6

None.

I'm pretty sure I forgot some, but doesn't matter. The list is pretty long as it is now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Legendary lovers: Never been a big fan of any legendary Pokemon. I kinda just see them as cop outs. A Pokemon pet peeve of mine is when you ask someone their favorite __ type and they tell you a legendary Pokemon.

Garchomp: I like to always try using the pseudo of the region at least once. This one never appealed to me. Even after giving it a chance I felt very bored when using it.

Arcanine: Don't get me wrong I don't hate it I just don't get all the fanning it gets. Yeah it's a big fire dog, I admit that's pretty cool, but when using it I find it extremely bland. Ninetales over Arcanine any day in my book.

Gengar: I don't know why it's so loved I really don't

Swampert: Very useful, but not appealing in anyway.

Lucario/Zoroark: y r u 2 loved

Reuniclus: nooooooo

Pancham: it not cute

Vivillon: WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS ONE. Like yeah it's okay, but not that amazing... IS IT THE PATTERNS WHAT IS IT!?

As for ones I like that no many other people do that's like mostly all the Pokemon I really like. I guess I have weird taste idk. Some honorable mentions are Hypno, Jynx, Mandibuzz, Golurk, Maractus, Banette, Walrein, Cradily, Porygon, Forretress, Tentacool, Parasect... the list goes on.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Rhyperior comes immediately to mind. I like this guy a lot, he looks really cool in my book, despite what most people say, and is really good in competitive play. Saying this thing is "too easy to kill" is absolutely ridiculous. It's a good SR user, it resists Flying- and Rock-type attacks and tanks Flare Blitz from Zard X really well, despite needing to rely on RestTalk for recovery. Rhyperior can also run an interesting Double Dance set to act as a late-game sweeper, especially when Water- and Grass-type Pokemon are removed or at least brought into Stone Edge's KO range. This works especially with Greninja and weakened Keldeo.

Yvonne

♥ Kalos Queen ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    I lovelovelove Klefki, I think it's the cutest Pokemon ever. It usurped Skitty off the cuteness throne for me. I really don't get how anyone can hate it, I think the idea is quite creative- its based on faeries that steal keys.

One Pokemon I don't get the hype for would be Lucario. It's supposedly based off Anubis, but other than the bipedal canine thing, I see little semblance. I think it's design could of used some tweaking, the "pants" look really weird to me.

Back