• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[pokeemerald] How to properly tamper with Birch's intro speech?

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    I'm trying to modify Birch's intro speech so that it not only skips the naming and gender choice but does so in a way that isn't awkward.

I made edits based on the posts in this forum for setting a default name and gender, but now the sprites slide in and out awkwardly for no reason. I thought I understood what controlled them but every edit I seem to do never really fixes the issues. I'm basically just asking how to control when the sprites come in/out and how to either treat the bottom text strings during menu choices (like gText_Birch_AndYouAre and gText_Birch_BoyOrGirl for example) like regular dialogue or insert my own in place of that.

Thanks in advance.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I'm trying to modify Birch's intro speech so that it not only skips the naming and gender choice but does so in a way that isn't awkward.

I made edits based on the posts in this forum for setting a default name and gender, but now the sprites slide in and out awkwardly for no reason. I thought I understood what controlled them but every edit I seem to do never really fixes the issues. I'm basically just asking how to control when the sprites come in/out and how to either treat the bottom text strings during menu choices (like gText_Birch_AndYouAre and gText_Birch_BoyOrGirl for example) like regular dialogue or insert my own in place of that.

Thanks in advance.
    It could be useful if you described the changes you've made or linked the tutorial you're talking about, but in general the intro speech is handled by the Task_NewGameBirchSpeech_ functions in src/main_menu.c. The sprite moving is done by the functions with "slide" in their name. You can either edit what those functions do, or modify the sequence of task functions to skip the functions you don't want.

Back