• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and your parents

GroudonTheUnbeatable

Rare Pokemon Lover
Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2006
    My moms a bit pissed because im bringinganother card game into the house. I havent told my dad yet because he doesnt understand how a 12 year old would still like this stuff. I try to explain to him how when I go to tournaments most of the competitors are 11-15 some are even in their 30's.

Stripes

TCG Master
    Years
  • My parents take interest in what I'm doing with all my card games. I've been getting interviewed alot lately by my local news station, and being on tv because I am really good at what I do(which is winning). On another plus for me the company of Bandai has been letting me do work for them in there conventions as a represenative. They pay me in boxes of their latest products. The question though of pokemon and my parents are they're cool with it as long as I keep my head on straight and priorities right.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2005
    My parents are weird. My dad likes charizard, and anytime there's a show featurig charizard, he rants on about how cool he is and that no one can beat him. He also likes Brock. My mom just randomly happens to be sitting in the living room when I'm watching the show, and she hounds me with questions about what's going on. She likes pikachu...well actually that's the only one she can remember. Sheesh, Stripes, you lucked out big time, I suck at the TCQ. I can't get with the whole evolution and basic thing.

GroudonTheUnbeatable

Rare Pokemon Lover
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2006
    Little Rukario said:
    My parents are weird. My dad likes charizard, and anytime there's a show featurig charizard, he rants on about how cool he is and that no one can beat him. He also likes Brock. My mom just randomly happens to be sitting in the living room when I'm watching the show, and she hounds me with questions about what's going on. She likes pikachu...well actually that's the only one she can remember. Sheesh, Stripes, you lucked out big time, I suck at the TCQ. I can't get with the whole evolution and basic thing.
    Man your lucky. I wish my parents liked pokemon. :\

Killov

Old Pokemon Fan
    Years
  • Bah, my family doesn't care much what I do, what I like and stuff.

My dad helped me get a couple of Pokemon games (back in 2000).

Lust

Ubersexual
    Years
  • Crystal Clair said:
    My dad seems to not care but:
    Okay, so he works at the computer in the same room I watch my show. This is usually Saturday. So During a boring part of Poke, I turn around to see him watching the show with me. XD, talk about being an undercover fan.
    My mom encourages me to: go to the PokemonCenter in Manhattan, to go to the local mall, anime convention because she thinks I stay at meh laptop too much.
    Maybe this isn't my mom or dad but my teachers at school actually like Pokemon. My math teacher likes to play with stuffed animals like Pikachu during class. My english teacher themes her tests on Pokemon. My art teacher loves my anime drawings, my computer teacher actually lived in Japan and understands my anime craze. And my counselor loves to see my Pokeart and hear my stories of Pokemon like my obsession with Clair and how I hate Jasmine, Lance and Adan. Or how I didn't evolve my Combusken in my Ruby version while everyone walked around with Blazikens. Or how I kind of hate Pikachu.
    xD. I don't know if any of my teachers like it. They liked it when it was a fad.

SapphireL

I don't wanna lose your love..
    Years
  • Meh. Mine don't care. They let me be. Sometimes, my dad asks me questions while I'm playing Pokemon Colosseum, like: "Is that you?", "Why did it go down in one hit?", "How do you win?" etc. My mom doesn't ask me questions though. It's my SIBLINGS that give me a hard time.

mizu-dragon

Head of the Strategist League
    Years
  • My dad is usually mega-ticked off about my Pok?mon interest, but every once in a while he lets off and will ask about it. Not often enough, though. My mom thinks it's a bit much but she sometimes asks me to explain it, saying that it's too complicated for her, which must mean Pok?mon trainers are smart ^_^
    My silblings are the real problems, though. One despises it beyond belief (execept for Mudkip) and the others are always hanging on me, wanting me to play cards when they don't have any Energy. They always crowd around when I'm playing the games too. Not fun. But all those happy little Pok?mon faces (or not happy) make it all worthwhile, you know?

Ninja Retsu

P u r e
    Years
  • Mr Cat Dog said:
    What do your parents think of you liking Pokemon?

When it first came out, they were fine with it, as they thought it would be natural for me to get into a 'fad' as they called it. But now they've only still realised that I still like Pokemon 5 years later, and ar teasing me about it XD My mum tried to be helpful by getting me a plushie of Pikachu from a charity shop... -_-

But still... what are your experiences with parents and Pokemon ^_^
    No. My parents never mind as long as anything I like is a good thing.

Nine

Kirby + Pineapples = Love
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jun 11, 2007
    Haha, my Mom loves Pokemon almost as much as I do. She thinks they're cute. XD She's more into the anime and such while I'm into the games (never competitive battling though... NBers scare me... o.O). But yeah, my father thinks I'm a bit old for all of this but whatever, I like Pokemon so eh.

My mother actually has Pokemon plushies in her room, haha.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
  • My Dad thinks all anime is poison. Whenever he catches me watching something like YuYu Hakusho, my favprite anime, he stands and watches just so he can tell me how stupid it is. It's seriously demoralizing. My mom just sort of listens and silently agrees. Every chance my dad gets he tells me how stupid and what a waste of time it is. It really starts to make you feel like crap.

I didn't like Pokemon 'again' until about 3 years ago when my little brother got into it (he missed the fad the first time around).

My parents don't know I got caught up in that. If they ever scoped my computer... found all of my hidden fanfic and art files... reviews I've saved and e-mail I've gotten... my livejournal... I think I'd be evicted from my house.

mizu-dragon

Head of the Strategist League
    Years
  • ActOnThat said:
    My Dad thinks all anime is poison. Whenever he catches me watching something like YuYu Hakusho, my favprite anime, he stands and watches just so he can tell me how stupid it is. It's seriously demoralizing. My mom just sort of listens and silently agrees. Every chance my dad gets he tells me how stupid and what a waste of time it is. It really starts to make you feel like crap.

I didn't like Pokemon 'again' until about 3 years ago when my little brother got into it (he missed the fad the first time around).

My parents don't know I got caught up in that. If they ever scoped my computer... found all of my hidden fanfic and art files... reviews I've saved and e-mail I've gotten... my livejournal... I think I'd be evicted from my house.

Not-even-funny true! My mom will sometimes fold the laundry where I'm watching Pok?mon and comment on the violence. I'm like, "Violence, where?", you know? Funny though, she never is there when it's a touching episode -.-
    It does make you feel like crap, but I watch it and do it anyway. My dad will be like, "Why do you still like it if we're pushing you about it all the time?", and I'll be like, "You raised me to ignore put-downs," and he's like x_x "oh."

Really...

Years
  • No-one in my family really cares. My brother likes pokemon, my mom could care less, and my dad dosn't mind as he is a computer geek.Acually I don't think anyone really has much of a problem with my liking pokemon. It's just a thing that make people say."pokemon? whats that? aww who cares anyway." O_o

Back