• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon Chronicles: Sands Of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Uber-Updates
    There are 2!

Update 1

I am very pleased to announce that Hedgehogger will be joining us as trainer spriter! I hope all colleagues make him feel very welcome. He is currently spriting the gym leaders and when completed, they will be displayed in the first post (with the exception of the 8th mystery leader).
    Welcome and good work! You're name will be added to the list on the 1st post.

Update 2

It gives me great pleasure announce the addition of two new fakemon to our growing fakedex.

Pokemon Chronicles: Sands Of Time

KITOTOM

LEOLISK

These were created by and used with permission of aocom. aocom is a very talented spriter and artist who unfortunatly does not have a Pokecommunity account. He does however have a Deviantart account which can be viewed here: https://aocom.deviantart.com/. Please do not pester him with requests etc. He let us use this because he liked our hack and we liked his spriting. I again stress that these were not created by myself or any other Pokemon Chronicles colleague but was created by and by aocom who gave us permission to use them in this hack. Thank you aocom! May I remind everyone that our sprites are the property of their creators and/or myself. Stealing sprites results in punishment by crushing!!!

Enjoy and keep up the good work.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    very nice fakemon you've obtained there, but maybe you should edit the first evo, there seems to be a huge jump between them, and many differences.

The Cynic

Years
    very nice fakemon you've obtained there, but maybe you should edit the first evo, there seems to be a huge jump between them, and many differences.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm just going to run with it as it is. One of the gym leaders has a Leolisk as their signiture pokemon you see so it needs to be "available" near the start. I'll say no more.. I don't want to give too much away just yet. :cheeky:

Years
    i tried making the peacock pokemon, but the feet arent so good...

558122_DG

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Well the body is great but the feathers at the back are meant to be a rosebush. Its also meant to stand quite tall and proud.

you might want to describe how all the fakemon you want sprited looks like so no one has to re-sprite, as it is annoying to resprite, and nice job on the peacock, if the legs were stretched out it would look nicer though :)

The Cynic

Years
    you might want to describe how all the fakemon you want sprited looks like so no one has to re-sprite, as it is annoying to resprite, and nice job on the peacock, if the legs were stretched out it would look nicer though :)

I have described them! A the fakedex page there are links where fakemon havn't been sprited to descriptions. We can't see these links clearly because of the theme that PC has currently chose makes the text colour for hyperlinks the same as normal text. I will make thelinks bold so the can be easily seen.

Route

Slowpoke
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2015
    Oh great... I'm going to need some help, or a better description of the candle one. I am getting stuck on the fire.

The Cynic

Years
    Oh great... I'm going to need some help, or a better description of the candle one. I am getting stuck on the fire.

Have you checked out its description? Click here.

Basically it is a small playful fire/psychic similar in body shape to Ralts and Uxie. It has flames from the top of its head and vaguely resemmples a candle. It looks very playful.

Route

Slowpoke
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2015
    Yes, I checked there. But I am not sure how you want the flame. Like fire on Rapidash, or a solid-ish color, like on the basic sketch.

558122_DG

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    I have described them! A the fakedex page there are links where fakemon havn't been sprited to descriptions. We can't see these links clearly because of the theme that PC has currently chose makes the text colour for hyperlinks the same as normal text. I will make thelinks bold so the can be easily seen.

T_T, your kidding me rite? you guys know you can CHANGE the theme on PC?

as for the peacock, negetive zero your old peacock was MUCH better for some reason I can't bring myself to like the new one over the older.

If you really want accurate sprites from your spriters, try to sprite it yourself first, in actual size, then fully colour it, like u've done with the uxie-ralts fakemon. The octopus candle thing, no offence doesn't seem to be the best of your ideas and the concept art is very,very poor for it.

The Cynic

Years
    T_T, your kidding me rite? you guys know you can CHANGE the theme on PC?

as for the peacock, negetive zero your old peacock was MUCH better for some reason I can't bring myself to like the new one over the older.

If you really want accurate sprites from your spriters, try to sprite it yourself first, in actual size, then fully colour it, like u've done with the uxie-ralts fakemon. The octopus candle thing, no offence doesn't seem to be the best of your ideas and the concept art is very,very poor for it.

@DG

I know how to change the theme... but most people just use the default one and it dosn't show up in the default one. I personally like to use "Time and Space" as a theme.

About the concept art... I'm aware of how bad it is. I cannot afford a graphics tablet (poor student you see) and so the best I can do is with MS Paint or GIMP. Furthermore, I have lost all my previous concept art and so those ones were done in about 3 minutes each. If I tried to sprite anything myself it would be an uber-fail. I'm sorry that my descriptions are not very clear. Its hard to describe something you invisioned to be exactly like what is in your head. The wonderful irony is I'm actually not a bad artist and have paper-based sketches of all the concepts. I just can't use MS Paint!

@Pokestorm.

Make an attempt and PM it to me. If you cannot do it that is fine, you can try your hand at something else and RedBaron can try it when he is done with Culverein. What about doing Obdurox, the 3rd in the water starter line, if you cannot do Velakinette? I understand that you are busy and your work is very much appreciated.

558122_DG

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    @DG

I know how to change the theme... but most people just use the default one and it dosn't show up in the default one. I personally like to use "Time and Space" as a theme.

About the concept art... I'm aware of how bad it is. I cannot afford a graphics tablet (poor student you see) and so the best I can do is with MS Paint or GIMP. Furthermore, I have lost all my previous concept art and so those ones were done in about 3 minutes each. If I tried to sprite anything myself it would be an uber-fail. I'm sorry that my descriptions are not very clear. Its hard to describe something you invisioned to be exactly like what is in your head. The wonderful irony is I'm actually not a bad artist and have paper-based sketches of all the concepts. I just can't use MS Paint!

well thats gotta suck :/
    I for one do use default as well so i guess your right, but having MS paint is not excuse for poor concepts, did you know almost all great spriters use MS paint? I do, I know darths and kyledove do. I reconise the fact that your not a good spriter, but nor am I. Creating a copy, even a rough copy of what it would look like WILL help out your spriters. As for the paper base sketch, it's a greeat idea to first draw a concept or have a concept before attempting to sprite. I think you should redo some of the bad ones like the octopus, the other ones like the bell fakemon concept look good enough for a concept and everyone gets the idea.

Route

Slowpoke
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2015
    What would probably help me the most, is a rough sprite, in the position you want. With all of the basic colors. It would probably make it a lot easier, and our sprites would be how you wanted.

The Cynic

Years
    Ok... I will make basic (and I mean seriously BASIC) sprites for Velakinette, and also Dartweet (as it kinda easy). I'm not going to bother redoing my concept art for Culverein as RedBaron is already spriting it.

The Cynic

Years
    Update!

Darthvagabond1000 has now finished the fire evo line sprites! Here they are:

Burgoat
    Smoldhorn
    Vulcapra

I think we can all agree that darth has once again done an excellent job with spriting. This now means that the starters for Sands of Time will be as follows:

Koaleaf (sprited by RedBaron)
    Burgoat (sprited by darthvagabond)
    Pokemon Chronicles: Sands Of Time Aquabill (sprited by Pokestorm)

Obviously there is still work to be done on some of the starters, but you get the picture. I'm adding the new sprites to the fakedex (link in first post) immediately.

Furthermore, I'd like to announce that the characters of Louis and Blaine will be thes pseudo-rivals in this hack. This is how pokemon selection will work.

Casey Blaine Louis
    Koaleaf Burgoat Aquabill
    Burgoat Koaleaf Aquabill
    Aquabill Koaleaf Burgoat

Right now you don't know much about Louis and Blaine, other than they live in Littlebeach Town and are in Casey's class at school. When their sprites are done I will create a characters section in the 1st post. That will give a clearer picture of part of the storyline. Similarly, a Gym Leaders section will be created when they are sprited giving details of their personalities etc. and town of location. I will not however reveal the 8th leader. I will also not reveal the types they all train, in order to keep it a surprise for the beta (though some colleagues on this hack know already and those who don't will soon be told). Hedgehogger has completed the sprite for Eletha but I'm waiting for the other leader sprites before I make that area of the first post.

C&C please people! And try to cut out the really generic comments. I especially like answering questions on storyline (thumbs up to Hedgehogger's question about Illuminati :D). Anyway, thanks those who are following this hack and thanks those who are working on it with me. Couldn't do it without you guys!

~The Cynic~

Last edited:
    Years
    @DG

@Pokestorm.

Make an attempt and PM it to me. If you cannot do it that is fine, you can try your hand at something else and RedBaron can try it when he is done with Culverein. What about doing Obdurox, the 3rd in the water starter line, if you cannot do Velakinette? I understand that you are busy and your work is very much appreciated.
    if you are good with pencil and paper, why dont you just scan the drawings and post them here?

The Cynic

Years
    if you are good with pencil and paper, why dont you just scan the drawings and post them here?

Don't have access to a scanner that isn't for work I'm afraid.

MINOR UPDATES: Spruced up the first post a little and extended the feature's section to showcase the best elements of this hack. Also may do some work on storyline introduction to make it seem a little more exciting to onlookers. I've also decided to call Rhona's badge the Piste Badge instead of the Snow Badge as it seems more original.

Spriting is coming on fine thanks to RedBaron etc. Once their sprites are done, I can upload other sketches (better done this time) of my fakemon to be sprited. The quicker they are done, the quicker I can focus on my tiling and mapping after they are inserted. Furthermore, I am working on a basic Velakinette sprite that I mentioned earlier in order for Pokestorm to get a clearer idea of what it'll look like so he can do the proper sprite. It will be VERY basic though...

Also, if you havn't already, please comment on this hack! We'll have flaws somewhere and I'm sure if people pointed them out we could fix them or improve them. All suggestions, criticisms and advice are welcome. You could even just say that you like it, though give reasons this time. I enjoy the responses we get from DG, Negative-Zero and crunch regularly (as well as those who work on this hack such as Pokestorm and Hedgehogger) but I'm sure they aren't the only ones who look at this hack. I need to find out what I am doing wrong in order to make this hack as well as I can.Thank you those who have commented, all of you.

Cheers.

~The Cynic~

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back