• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl: It Wasn't a Failure?!

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Uh....heck no! The rival is a character with SIGNIFICANT character growth, and he is my 3rd favorite character from all the anime. He is very smart, cares to evolve his pokemon quickly, trains them hard (though i prefer light training) and respects his elders! (most of them...) Though he can be harsh, it is so he wont be weak like his older brother as he puts it, and by the end of the anime, he is just that, strong, actually kind to ash, and did really good in the battle vs Ash. But he HAD to lose because Ash wanted revenge, so he got it! Oh, and i hope he comes in for B / W series at the league...though im just looking way too far in the future now...

I'm sorry, Yes he was interesting but the only episodes I saw him in(remember I saw very few) He was catching starly until he found a strong one(Well that actually was cool, since that's the way an actual trainer in the game plays if they want to be really good) and totally abusing chimchar(Which I don't blame him for since I found chimchars voice and personality extremely annoying)

I guess my main dislike about him was the way he was hard to relate to. Gary might have been a jerk and everything but he gave Ash a challenge and was just cocky enough to seem interesting without being annoying. I might just be holding on to my nostalgia a little to hard though here and I'll admit it.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Gary might have been a jerk and everything but he gave Ash a challenge and was just cocky enough to seem interesting without being annoying.

Both Gary and Paul had a satisfying end to their rivalries with Ash, and they were exceptional challenges for him. I don't see how Paul didn't give Ash a challenge. DP131 and DP 132 gave Ash his most devastating loss ever, only knocking out 2 of Paul's Pokemon. And who can forget the three episode long battle in the Sinnoh League? With the final conclusion being Infernape vs Electivire.

I guess he was hard to relate to though. He acted more like a bully to Ash, but still had that sense of bitter rivalry. That was a lot like Gary, except that Gary was a bit more louder and comedic, while Paul was just dark.

pixiefroggy

Awesome Ace Trainer:P
    Years
  • D/P was okay, but I wish the relationship between Dawn and Ash was less fuzzy... PEARLSHIPPING <3er! Gary is just always pissed off and has absolutely no life and he ditched Chimchar! :(

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • There were multiple reasons why I didn't like it as much as some of the other series. I'm not too sure which I dislike the most. I just found it difficult to watch.

#1. Dawn
    Okay, I don't hate her with a burning pashion but oh man, she was so boring. Her storylines sucked and the whole contests thing nearly had me in tears. I think she's too hard to watch for an entire series. Her personality wasn't as memorable as the other three girls but I'm actually neutral to her in that sense. They could have done a lot more with her if you ask me. I disliked her contest attire and her Pokémon were all really irritating, which brings me to my next point.

#2. Piplup
    I really wanted to stab that thing after watching it for about 10 episodes. I thought leaving it outside of its Poké Ball was the biggest mistake ever. Everything it did made me cringe. I initially thought the design was cute but watching it made me despise the species as a whole.

#3. Dub
    The voice actors suck. Or at least the script does. Towards the end, there is definitely an improvement in some of the voices. Jessie's, Meowth's, Dawn's and a few others aren't too bad. Ash and Brock can be okay at times but they're usually really grating. I don't like how James, Meowth, Oak, Gary and other people all have the same tone to their voices. I think it's really noticeable that they're repeating the same voice actor...who also happens to write the suckish script (and yes, I know he was part of the original cast).

#4. Movies
    The movies were fairly bland and repetitive. The Pokémon voices made me cringe and I didn't think they were a whole lot different from the anime, something that the previous movies had done very well.

pokemonlover493

Trainer
    Years
  • I loved the DP series. It was funny. Ash wasn't a complete idiot at battling like he did in earlier series. Ash did great in the tournament. I think Dawn should've won the Grand Festival though.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Both Gary and Paul had a satisfying end to their rivalries with Ash, and they were exceptional challenges for him. I don't see how Paul didn't give Ash a challenge. DP131 and DP 132 gave Ash his most devastating loss ever, only knocking out 2 of Paul's Pokemon. And who can forget the three episode long battle in the Sinnoh League? With the final conclusion being Infernape vs Electivire.

I guess he was hard to relate to though. He acted more like a bully to Ash, but still had that sense of bitter rivalry. That was a lot like Gary, except that Gary was a bit more louder and comedic, while Paul was just dark.

You know what? I'm going to watch more of the series just to see Paul some more, he seems very interesting from what you've said, and I haven't given him a fair chance not seeing enough of the series, and I didn't mean he wasn't a challenge I simply meant Gary was

TheBowsinator

Pi Lieker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2022
    #4. Movies
    The movies were fairly bland and repetitive. The Pokémon voices made me cringe and I didn't think they were a whole lot different from the anime, something that the previous movies had done very well.

Oh man, reading that reminds me of arceus all over again .-.

But yeah you are totally correct, though i did like the arceus movie's plot.
    I disagree with piplup what your talking about, i thought it was cute for the younger watchers, and i guess some people could like its cocky, gtf out of my way character

Back