• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Pokemon Emerald Gender Choice Box, Battle Level Text, & Pokedex Layout

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    I'm trying to make a Malay translation of Pokemon Emerald and I've been using Hex Maniac Advance to edit the texts. But so far my biggest issues are that I can't find the texts in choice boxes (boy & girl choice specifically, LSA's Multi-Choice Box Editor doesn't show it either) and to follow Malay grammar the dex entries should be read as [Pokemon] + [Species] instead of [Species] + [Pokemon] (ie: Chick Pokemon), I already found the text for the species but can't find where the [pokemon] section is or how to rearrange the two components. Another would be I can't find the text in battles that show the level of the pokemon [ie: Lv.25].

Does anyone know the pointers for these texts or how to edit them?

Thank you!

Edit: I managed to find the address for the gender choices. BOY is 5E858F while GIRL is 5E8593. I'll keep trying for the other problems.

Last edited:
    Years
    I would recommend decomp. That will make it a lot easier for a translation. Sorry if this is a useless reply, but it'll probably be way harder to translate by binary hacking.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    I would recommend decomp. That will make it a lot easier for a translation. Sorry if this is a useless reply, but it'll probably be way harder to translate by binary hacking.

Is it easy to decompile and recompile? I'm still new to it.

Years
    Decomp is already decompiled. Essentially, you take the decompiled source code, edit it, then compile it. The compiled version is just a .gba file. Here is a tutorial to help you get everything set up. From there, you can start editing text and layout.

Back