• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is for Kids!

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
  • It hurt me to write out that topic, it really did >~< Alas, it's quite a common phrase. I've been told it many times but my peers and I've always found it to be rather annoying. So my question for everyone to discuss is;

What do you say/do when someone says, "Pokemon is for kids!"?

I personally try to explain to them why it doesn't matter what age group soemthing is targeted at as long as you as a person enjoy it! Or I say, "So Pokemon is for kids but you can go watch Frozen 50 times?!"

Anyways, I'd love to know what everyone else thinks about it ^.^

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    As long you enjoy pokemon isn't doesn't feel ashamed or embarrassed to devote the time you love for pokemon. Saying things like your too old for pokemon or why you play pokemon it's childish. Just ignore them and enjoy pokemon as it

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Pokemon is for kids? Nah. Pokemon is for everybody. Kid, teenager, adult, doesn't matter. It is perfectly fine to enjoy raising suprisingly adorable creatures and have them participate in pit fights. After all there are enough Pokemon to please everybody's tastes. Like cool Pokemon? We have you covered. Like scary Pokemon? Plenty to choose from. Like cute Pokemon? There's an entire region's worth for you.

Anybody can play Pokemon and still have fun doing it. Saying Pokemon is just for kids is sorta like saying Super Mario Bros. or Legend of Zelda is only for kids. Anyone of any age group can enjoy playing it, and that's not something a lot of game series can boast.

Years
  • I knew I kept this silly picture around for a reason!

Spoiler:

Seriously. Look at catch rate on Bulbapedia and then get someone to say it's just for kids with a straight face.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • I think i have a case of deja mustard right now

Yes Pokemon (and Dragon Ball) are for kids, they are shonen, but that doesn't mean teens and adult can't like it (i was 12/14 when i first saw pokemon and i still like it till today)

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Back then during Generation 1&2, this could have went un-argued. Generation 3 and beyond, with the introduction of IVs, EVs And Natures, took Pokemon to a whole new level. Not to mention the math that goes into some things like catch rate.

Years
  • I get told this all the time irl, I just say that I don't care and go one with my day. With what Beni said as well I doubt little kids could fully grasp it.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • "Pokemon is for kids" is mostly just a reaction from people who clearly don't like (or lost interest) in Pokemon, and because of that it means nothing to me when people say that. Pokemon is one of the best and most unique games out there so I don't care if people think it's childish. The competitive scene is fascinating, and if Pokemon told us about EVs, IVs and stuff like that directly I think it would get lots more people into competitive battling. When I was really little I learned about that kinda stuff through the internet so it's kinda sad how Pokemon ignores their most important battling aspects =/

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I believe that phrase it's slowly gonna be 'Pokémon was for kids'. {XD} TPC is slowly moving the primary target audience to young adults, while not straying far from the kids (yet). Pokkén is definitely not for 6-7 years old, while Pokémon GO is mainly endorsed by teenagers to young adult actors and models as seen from the reveal trailer.

The featured models and actors' age are vital clues for the product they are promoting for obvious reasons.

While those games I mentioned are spinoffs, let's not forget GO is related to the main games according to the GO reveal announcement.

Are they completely ditching off the kids? I can't tell at this stage, but I wouldn't be surprise if that happens!

"Pokemon is for kids" is mostly just a reaction from people who clearly don't like (or lost interest) in Pokemon, and because of that it means nothing to me when people say that. Pokemon is one of the best and most unique games out there so I don't care if people think it's childish. The competitive scene is fascinating, and if Pokemon told us about EVs, IVs and stuff like that directly I think it would get lots more people into competitive battling. When I was really little I learned about that kinda stuff through the internet so it's kinda sad how Pokemon ignores their most important battling aspects =/

Funnily, the official is recognizing those elements you mentioned, though without explicitly using the terms 'EV' and 'IVs'. I was still caught surprised with the official description and reviews for one of the Global Link Battle Competitions! That wouldn't happen before.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's kind of annoying to keep hearing, "You're 15, you're too old to be playing Pokemon."
    But it's whatever. You get used to it after awhile :3

So, honestly, let them think whatever they want to.

You like Pokemon, then great.
    You think it's for kids, awesome.

Years
  • Mew's post sums it up easily. Pokemon is a game that anyone can enjoy, not just kids. I'm turning 23 this coming Thursday and I still call myself a proud fan and player today because it's fun and there's so much you can learn from it. Saying that Pokemon is for kids is just nothing but bullshit.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • No. Pokemon is not for kids. It is for all ages.

I am in my 20s and still enjoy playing Pokemon, particularly collecting and challenges. Also I know several people my age who play Pokemon.

Whilst I don't partake in competitive battling it is something that is certainly not for children.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Whenever I hear people say this, I just ask them why they think it's for kids. Most of the time, they don't really have an answer xD Imo it just goes to show that they have no idea what they're talking about.

Back