• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is for Kids!

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Hmm, an interesting question. I've never been told this before, probably because of how proud I am to play Pokemon. I think the confidence there is a natural barrier to such statements. That being said, I wonder what I would say if someone were to tell me this.

I think I'd want to say something along the lines of: "Your disturbing lack of maturity makes you unqualified to converse with me any further. Farewell."

But I'd most likely say: "Nah."

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    I knew I kept this silly picture around for a reason!

Spoiler:

Seriously. Look at catch rate on Bulbapedia and then get someone to say it's just for kids with a straight face.

Can you translate that in english (:P).

Years
    I would probably just shrug at the person and go "so?" Or not even bother acknowledging what was said, since I feel it would most likely be a random stranger saying that to me, and I find it hard to care much in that situation.

Truth be told, if it were my younger self being told this I might take some stock in it and get a bit upset. But then I realized that a lot of the time, "for kids" is often just a codeword for "has no extreme violence and swearing", and since there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking something that has neither of those...yeah, I stopped giving a crap about comments like that. Sneer if you like, I'm still going to buy whatever merchandise and games related to pokemon that I want, regardless if you approve or not.

Thankfully, most people I've run into don't seem to care, or they keep their comments to themselves.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    Speaking of which, i saw an video in which there was somewhere in a pokemon game that said "a" word but it's most likely a translation of "Kisama" or "Yarou"

Well Team rocket does say the "Sh" word, people look at Misty's breasts, there are guns in there

So yeah, japanese kids are much most manly than us, i wouldn't be suprised if Pokemon will air on Adultswim soon like DB is

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    "Is Pokemon for kids?" is subjective, to me. Personally I feel the fanbase is more child-driven than anything and, according to people uninterested in the franchise, it has a child-like connotation; you're expected to grow out of it at around ten to eleven. I'd even say the games are a lot less complex that the majority of JRPGs.

However, like most all forms of media, anyone can get into it. Just like kids can play Modern Warfare, adults can play Pokemon. But, based on an outsiders' perspective, Pokemon is for kids. Nothing wrong with adults finding interest with it; I'd only judge if they acted pretentiously about it. I.e: "These games should target the REAL audience, the MATURE ADULTS!!"

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    "acted pretentiously about it. I.e: "These games should target the REAL audience, the MATURE ADULTS!!"

Honestly, I think people should act that way a little bit. At least towards the anime.
    The TCG started off mainly as a collection game, but has been made more competitive to accommodate the older audiences, while still maintaining the collection aspect to keep kids interested.
    The Games have all those sums and figures that can make the game quite hard for older audiences if they wish to make it so.
    But the Anime is still targeted toward children and children alone... I'm not suggesting they fill the anime with sex and gore, but they could at least stop dumbing it down so much.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Honestly, I think people should act that way a little bit. At least towards the anime.
    The TCG started off mainly as a collection game, but has been made more competitive to accommodate the older audiences, while still maintaining the collection aspect to keep kids interested.
    The Games have all those sums and figures that can make the game quite hard for older audiences if they wish to make it so.
    But the Anime is still targeted toward children and children alone... I'm not suggesting they fill the anime with sex and gore, but they could at least stop dumbing it down so much.

And as you said in your response: the series has been accommodating their older audiences while still keeping the kid-friendly approach. My response mostly targeted the "Series-Needs-to-Become-Adults-Only-Because-Screw-The-Target-Audience" crowd that naively think the only fans that matter are the ones that have been playing since Generation 1. Besides, I feel Nintendo practically banks on nostaligic appeal. Of course they wouldn't discount the old folks.

(I was also referencing a video where some brony whined about a My Little Pony coloring book because it didn't target the "real audience of the show". It was hysterical.)

The anime is mature-esque, at times. I think it's just overall shitty, but I'm not an shonen person myself. Hell, I'm not even an anime person.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I just tell people that pokemon is very nostalgic for me and I continue to enjoy the games. I will be 26 this upcoming February and that hasn't slowed me down (except for less time to play).

I teach elementary school physical education, and I have to laugh when I see my students wearing pokemon shirts, or playing with the cards in the morning before they go to their class. It's actually amazing that pokemon continues with it's success.

Back