• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen pokemon P/D 2d battles system

hamir

Embrace yourselves
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    i am dissapointing that game freak has stuck to the 2d battles system for pokemon pearl and diamond. what about u guys.

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
    Well you see there's this thing called tradition. There's also this thing called saving space. And one more thing known as battery life.
    Personally I think it'd probably look crap anyway. Especially since they'd have to cut back and keep the overworld 2D. 2D changing to 3D and back again would look crap and unprofessional.

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    What's wrong with 2D battles? For 3D, they'd need around 500 3D models for the Pokemon and even more for trainers, attacks and other insignificant little things like Pokeballs. That would take up too much space on the cards.

Years
    I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one that thinks 2D Battles are ok. Some people say that having the almost same battle graphics for all 4 generations is a dissapointment. Honestly, what matters in battles is the genius battle system, with effort vallues and all, the hundred Pokemon to choose from, all the attacks you can use and things like these. And believe me, we still don't know everything about all the other fuctions of Diamond and Pearl.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    2D battles are okay but it would of been better if the whole game was in 3D. I'm so upset about that, but they had to safe up some space, so I understand.

:t003:Dark Venusaur

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I can't believe you people were seriously expecting a fully 3D Pokémon game for the DS -_- 3D graphics (unless they were really, really crappy) would fill up quite a big amount of the data allowed on a cartridge.
    and seriously, are graphics everything that matter in a game? Do you think Nintendo should just throw away all the even slightly more complicated things (including some parts of the Pokémon battle system that make it so unique) in the game just so they could have fancier graphics? <.<
    Try being realistic for a change, I doubt any of the people who sayed they're dissapointed because of the game being 2D understand how much space the complicated battle system, EVs, IVs, Breeding, etc. require.

Gigerm

I GOT THE SPIRITOMB IN ME!
    Years
    to help him above me tell people what he means better 1 computer megabit = 8 Gba megabits

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
    Gigerm said:
    to help him above me tell people what he means better 1 computer megabit = 8 Gba megabits
    Where'd you get that from?

Like I said earlier, it'd take way too much space. I mean think about it:
    1) You have battles. Battles can take anywhere between 1-30 minutes at least. Given that, you'd lost battery power if you have.
    2) So far, 390 or so Pokémon? They have to give them a few animations on 3D, and put on the detail around them.
    3) Imagine the chuggyness, the framerates they'd have to lower. If it was in 3D it'd be horrible. I played Super Mario 64 DS and it looked horrible in my opinion. But not chuggy as such.

Gigerm

I GOT THE SPIRITOMB IN ME!
    Years
    i love 2d for battleing and combat it keeps from lag when playing mmorpg's so 2d is better for things that are hardcore and 3d should be for things you just want to walk around and enjoy

Years
    Gigerm said:
    Actually that's true. Nintendo DS's Cards are 2 Giga bits, NOT 2 Giga Bytes. That means that it's 256 Mega Bytes. So it's reasoningfull for the models not to fit on the space. Besides other fuctions takes place as well. But anyway, 2D battling is better on Portable Consoles.

Zone

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2006
    Dark Venusaur said:
    2D battles are okay but it would of been better if the whole game was in 3D. I'm so upset about that, but they had to safe up some space, so I understand.

:t003:Dark Venusaur

Save some space? It saves tons of space.

hamir

Embrace yourselves
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    yeah u guys are right that 2d graphics are much better and it saves a lot of space.

Back