• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Pyrite

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Hi, I have found a bug!

In Lt Surge's gym in Vermillion, there's two gates to unlock with switches...

If you save and restart your game AFTER opening one or both gates, then attempt to fight a trainer, the gate will suddenly close again *GASP* AFTER the trainer fight.

I got stuck between the two gates as the first gate magically closed on my face. I also got stuck after beating Lt Surge as the gates behind him closed.

Years
  • Hi, I have found a bug!

In Lt Surge's gym in Vermillion, there's two gates to unlock with switches...

If you save and restart your game AFTER opening one or both gates, then attempt to fight a trainer, the gate will suddenly close again *GASP* AFTER the trainer fight.

I got stuck between the two gates as the first gate magically closed on my face. I also got stuck after beating Lt Surge as the gates behind him closed.

Thanks for the report. I failed to replicate it though. I opened a gate, then saved and restarted. When I loaded the game again, the door was still open. I fought one of the trainers, and the door was still open after the battle. Tried saving and restarting again, door still open. I've checked that none of the trainer flags clash with the gate flags, as well as that the gate flags are properly saved, and both things are right. In addition, pressing a switch again after the corresponding door has been opened automatically closes it again, so you can't get stuck this way either.

I honestly can't remember exactly how I implemented the logic of the script and I can't seem to find any related notes. Did it happen with an specific trainer, or with every trainer? What emulator are you playing on?

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2023
    Hi Crystal,

You have an excellent hack here. Very challenging in the beginning, especially if you don't use OU pokemon. I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere or is obvious, but I've not been able to find any clue as to where the elemental stones are sold/located. (I just really hope I don't have to wait until kanto to evolve half of my team.)

Years
  • Hi Crystal,

You have an excellent hack here. Very challenging in the beginning, especially if you don't use OU pokemon. I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere or is obvious, but I've not been able to find any clue as to where the elemental stones are sold/located. (I just really hope I don't have to wait until kanto to evolve half of my team.)

They are sold in Ecruteak City.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    I have 3 Kanto badges already (Brock/LT Surge/Sabrina), and have already beaten the rockets in the Cerulean Cave. I cannot, however, find the Machine Part, nor find Misty.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Thanks for the report. I failed to replicate it though. I opened a gate, then saved and restarted. When I loaded the game again, the door was still open. I fought one of the trainers, and the door was still open after the battle. Tried saving and restarting again, door still open. I've checked that none of the trainer flags clash with the gate flags, as well as that the gate flags are properly saved, and both things are right. In addition, pressing a switch again after the corresponding door has been opened automatically closes it again, so you can't get stuck this way either.

I honestly can't remember exactly how I implemented the logic of the script and I can't seem to find any related notes. Did it happen with an specific trainer, or with every trainer? What emulator are you playing on?

Darn. I am using visual boy advanced 1.8.0-beta 3, and I've beaten red and it was fantastic. I'll do another play through some time soon with different pokemon and when I get to that point again I'll see if I can recreate the bug again {:3}

edit: I am using a bug to make the game forget what time of day it is each time I load it. Perhaps this is why it couldn't remember the state of the switch?

Years
  • I have 3 Kanto badges already (Brock/LT Surge/Sabrina), and have already beaten the rockets in the Cerulean Cave. I cannot, however, find the Machine Part, nor find Misty.

You left it behind in the cave. Have another look...

Darn. I am using visual boy advanced 1.8.0-beta 3, and I've beaten red and it was fantastic. I'll do another play through some time soon with different pokemon and when I get to that point again I'll see if I can recreate the bug again {:3}

edit: I am using a bug to make the game forget what time of day it is each time I load it. Perhaps this is why it couldn't remember the state of the switch?

I don't think it has anything to do with that, but who knows. I'm glad you enjoyed the game anyway :)

JJK

The chase is about to begin...
    Years
  • Thoroughly enjoying this hack so far. Having played this after Crystal Kaizo, I have to say it's far better balanced than it, while retaining the challenge. Your work shows.

I just wanted to report something that's not quite a bug, but a very understandable and curious oversight. My Onix was poisoned last match, but managed to defeat its opponent and level up - and evolve. The result: I now have a temporarily poisoned Steelix. What were the odds, lol.

Years
  • Thoroughly enjoying this hack so far. Having played this after Crystal Kaizo, I have to say it's far better balanced than it, while retaining the challenge. Your work shows.

I just wanted to report something that's not quite a bug, but a very understandable and curious oversight. My Onix was poisoned last match, but managed to defeat its opponent and level up - and evolve. The result: I now have a temporarily poisoned Steelix. What were the odds, lol.

Thanks for the kind words! Steelix can actually be poisoned by Twineedle so there you go.

JJK

The chase is about to begin...
    Years
  • Thanks for the kind words! Steelix can actually be poisoned by Twineedle so there you go.
    Hmm, I did remember there was a Gen where Twineedle could poison Steel-types, but didn't recall which. In all logic, could only be Gen II. Still, it's not exactly the same case - but from what I looked up since, apparently Pokémon who evolve into Poison or Steel types do retain poison, so that's normal behavior.

One more question: are Thunderbolt/IB/Flamethrower available in the Gen I move tutor, or did you exclude them so as to not override the post-E4 Goldenrod tutor? I checked the tutor a significant number of times without them ever showing up, so I'm assuming the latter for now. Guess my Starmie will have to wait.

PS: Though that said, I did notice the second coin trader at the game corner showed up after a certain checkpoint. Well thought.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    i.imgur.com/zhnjx50.jpg bug in silver cave - walk through wall in north east cave

edit: another bug: i.imgur.com/urmoFYv.jpg ; this bug applies to Chinchou as well

Last edited:
    Years
  • i.imgur.com/zhnjx50.jpg bug in silver cave - walk through wall in north east cave

edit: another bug: i.imgur.com/urmoFYv.jpg ; this bug applies to Chinchou as well

1. Damn, good catch. Just got it fixed.

2. That's the location of Dark Cave isn't it?

Years
  • Hey! Just wanted to say thanks for the great hack.

Found my first Gen 2 shiny on it! The thing is, if I was playing Crystal I probably would have never got it (Geodude I caught in Rock Cave because I kept losing to Falkner)

I just beat Falkner and I'm really enjoying it so far. I do, however, find it a little frustrating that Chikorita hasn't evolved yet. Another thing about Chikorita, every single damn Pokemon at the beginning of the game is bug, bird, damn it's so annoying! Everyone hates my poor little grassy dude :(

Keep up the great work :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    Kill me, I ran into a shiny pidgy but haven't got poke balls yet.
    I have my pokedex as wel, cherrygrove doesn't sell them when do I get them?

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Kill me, I ran into a shiny pidgy but haven't got poke balls yet.
    I have my pokedex as wel, cherrygrove doesn't sell them when do I get them?

Go back to Elm at the starting town, he'll sort you out. Make sure to talk to him twice.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2017
    I've finally beaten the game, haven't encountered any bug, I'm kind of impressed! It was so amazing! I wish you could do the same for Pokémon Red! Keep the good work man, I'm one of your biggest fan!

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    I'm just wondering, do you think you will be able to release a second version of the game in conjunction with the current one? One which allows:
    - Shift battle style
    - Healing items in battle

I only ask this because I love increased difficulty hacks but I don't like these restrictions being forced on me.

If not, that's fine, but if you think that it would be possible to have two versions of the game I would greatly appreciate it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I'm just wondering, do you think you will be able to release a second version of the game in conjunction with the current one? One which allows:
    - Shift battle style
    - Healing items in battle

I only ask this because I love increased difficulty hacks but I don't like these restrictions being forced on me.

If not, that's fine, but if you think that it would be possible to have two versions of the game I would greatly appreciate it.

Hmm.. better ask it with hoopa and these 721 pokemon and keep that system; I already beat the game and just buy/use potion/revives at the elite four through the champeon, the game teach you to think clearly or keep losing till you win :-P choose ur side

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    It will teach any compatible RBY TM move except those that can be already learned by the pokemon in another way (by level up or by GSC TM).
    What about Egg Moves? I want to know if the move tutor can teach Rock Slide to Marowak

Marowak cannot get Rock Slide by level up or GSC TM (only by breeding), and Rock Slide was a TM in RBY, however weirdly it cannot learn Rock Slide by TM in RBY

Really enjoy playing this hack. I've been addicted to this for a while now. The difficulty is just right.

Back